Money for scrap batteries?

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Hi all,

I was carrying out one of an estate car owners favorite past times recently, taking an accumulation of rubbish to the dump.
I had 2 car batteries with me to chuck out, but the worker helping me said they're worth money to scrap.
Is this the case and anyone know if its worth the bother? Where would pay for scrap such as batteries, a car breaker such as Mckinties near Glenoe?

Apologies if I am asking naive questions here but I am none the wiser lol....

Chris.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Bit far unless free delivery 😂 batteries differ obviously with size and weight, smaller ones starting about £5 up

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Likes of T-Met etc...

but I think last load I left in of small sealed lead acid batteries, it worked out around 50p per kilogram, or maybe a little less.

Whether they're all the same or current prices are same...I don't know/

Bryan

RMS Regular
I had a massive van battery sitting about for ages and thought it would be worth bringing over to Clearways. I think I ended up with £4 for it. Hardly worth the effort unless you have quite a few of them.

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
I had a massive van battery sitting about for ages and thought it would be worth bringing over to Clearways. I think I ended up with £4 for it. Hardly worth the effort unless you have quite a few of them.
This is exactly what I thought, by the time I use the petrol to ferry 2 batteries somewhere the £10er would probably be gone

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Just before lockdown I ran 29 scrap batteries to clearways in Portadown for work and it averaged at £8 per battery. Big standard size Volkswagen OEM batteries, not the small wee things a lot of Jap cars come with. No idea what values are now though.

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I've apparently been collecting scrap batteries lately, got 4 here, anywhere in Belfast I could take them?

glynnnova

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 GTST, S2000
Anyone know the going rate for batteries these days? Got a few lying around I need shot of.