Mongol Rally: NI to Asia in a Micra

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
On the RMS Blog: We recently caught wind of a team of young enthusiastic lads from Co. Down that were planning an adventure of a lifetime and immediately got on the case with catching up with them ahead of their trip which will thunder 10,000 miles across the mountains, desert and steppe of Europe with the finish line in Asia.

According to the Mongol Rally official website: “There’s no backup, no support and no set route; just you, your fellow adventurers and a tiny car you bought from a scrap yard for £11.50.

If nothing goes wrong, everything has gone wrong. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

Cess

RMS Staff
Adventure of a lifetime! Great sounding trip and what a fantastic way to raise money. Those Micras are hardy little cars. Updates and pictures from the lads, when they embark would be good. Intrigued by the state of roads beyond Russia!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
A mate of mine did this a few years ago in an ambulance. Looked like great craic, especially some of the other stuff they did on the way.

pheunos

RMS Regular
My father in law is away on a similar journey to Mongolia in a Suzuki Jimny this morning. Sounds like a brilliant trip.

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
Seen this in Queens. Think the guys were making a sump guard when I seen them. Would love to do something like this!

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I had my wee polo breadvan all ready to do this in 1997 but I got offered my preferred work placement at British Airways Engineering starting that June. Had to take the job and the rest is history!

WiBa

RMS Member
Drives
Not Fast Enough
Ah very good. I used to double drive with him before wedding/baby etc came along to keep me occupied.
I know. Spoke to you a few times. Had a blue Jimny up until a couple of years ago, when some wee bollix hit me head on up the Sealstown Rd...and ran off because he was uninsured, untaxed etc.

pheunos

RMS Regular
I remember the blue Jimny well, sorry to hear how it ended.

Here's a photo Gary sent me from Austria. @Coog you'll probably appreciate this too!
image.jpg

WiBa

RMS Member
Drives
Not Fast Enough
Any more updates from Gary? he's been very quiet on Facebook!

pheunos

RMS Regular
He was through Iran and into Turkmenistan over the past few days. Facebook access is tightly controlled / banned there so he hasn't made any updates. He said the people in Iran were the friendliest and most hospitible he's ever met. He asked a stranger for directions and they were invited to stay in their house, fed, watered and the jimny was filled with fuel for them. All for nothing. He was camping beside the gateway to hell the other night, looked unreal. The jimny is still going 100%!

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Looking through the website I would love to do this but I know I'd just be useless when the car eventually broke down :worried:

BrianM

RMS Regular
Drives
07 Honda S2k
A friend of mine, he's on here actually, I believe did this last year?

@BrianM

I did indeed do it last year @Gaz VW I spent a year in the Gobi one day trying to fix rear suspension on our Fiat Panda >: (

Still the best automotive experience I've taken part in, if you can afford it (time & money) then do it!

Brian

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Folks just thought i would update this thread, the "Car of the County Down" made the finish line recently and are now on the return drive (most folk leave the cars and fly home, but not these adventurists) so well done to the lads and don't forget this adventure was for charity so if you haven't already, dig deep for chosen charity "Tiny Life" - Jordan Barr is fundraising on JustGiving for TinyLife formerly NIMBA

11889603_1017732064945529_4820907794348989373_n.jpg

11951998_1017734978278571_5717670275987156410_n.jpg

11933458_1017735764945159_7043496900273434127_n.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.