MOT Exemption

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Does anyone know does this just happen automatically or is there anything to be done when your actual MOT runs out?

DJMCA

RMS Regular
To my knowledge you have to apply for historic vehicle status

vw1500

RMS Regular
OP
vw1500
Drives
VW
Yeah historic, if it's already been classed as historic for tax for a number of years do you still have to do this?

DJMCA

RMS Regular
My Mrs Mini was historic and i just took the V112 form to the post office when it came to taxing it

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Happened automatically for me.

Had one of the Asconas taxed (paid for as it was before its birthday), and got a refund for remaining tax when it reached the vintage age.

vw1500

RMS Regular
OP
vw1500
Drives
VW
I Taxed it online last week, mot expires in a few weeks, should it just happen automaticaly then as it's on the road? I took the reminder to post office but as I'd already taxed it they couldn't access any info.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Did this last week, just waiting to get it back. V112, insurance and V5 to the PO, tell them you want "historic" and they do the rest.

vw1500

RMS Regular
OP
vw1500
Drives
VW
Did this last week, just waiting to get it back. V112, insurance and V5 to the PO, tell them you want "historic" and they do the rest.
Did you do that when taxing it? I've already taxed mine and the PO said they couldn't access any information.

I can't seem to find any clear guidance online. I didn't get an MOT reminder for it this year. I really can't see why if a car is already road legal that they can't just do this automatically.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Print and sign the V112 to self certify the MOT when you go to tax, the tax exemption follows from following April..

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Is it 40 years from the start of the year or from the registration date? Mine is Feb '82 so is it Historic from 2022 or 2023? :confounded: Lol

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Did you do that when taxing it? I've already taxed mine and the PO said they couldn't access any information.

I can't seem to find any clear guidance online. I didn't get an MOT reminder for it this year. I really can't see why if a car is already road legal that they can't just do this automatically.
It was on Sorn when I did this. Haven't actually tried to tax it yet, but will do when I get the new V5.

vw1500

RMS Regular
OP
vw1500
Drives
VW
This is where I'm at a loss, it's been in my name and tax exempt for years. I already taxed it online last month, but the MOT expires before the end of this month.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Is it 40 years from the start of the year or from the registration date? Mine is Feb '82 so is it Historic from 2022 or 2023? :confounded: Lol

MOT exempt is physically its 40th Birthday from its build date. Not Registration date

Tax Exemption is following April

So your car is MOT Exempt Feb '22 but then Tax Exemption will start in April '23.

If you can prove it was built before the start of January '82 which it likely was the. Your tax exemption could begin April '22
This is where I'm at a loss, it's been in my name and tax exempt for years. I already taxed it online last month, but the MOT expires before the end of this month.

If it has been tax exempt for years, why did you tax it last month? ^o)

vw1500

RMS Regular
OP
vw1500
Drives
VW
If it has been tax exempt for years, why did you tax it last month? ^o)

You still have to tax/sorn it every year, you just don't pay.
I'll maybe give that a go today then, just put HISTORIC VEHICLE as the class of exemption. Did they take your V5?

DJMCA

RMS Regular
MOT exempt is physically its 40th Birthday from its build date. Not Registration date

Tax Exemption is following April

So your car is MOT Exempt Feb '22 but then Tax Exemption will start in April '23.

If you can prove it was built before the start of January '82 which it likely was the. Your tax exemption could begin April '22
According to Burton Power build code guide its Dec '81 built so can i apply for tax/MOT exemption in the new year then?

vw1500

RMS Regular
OP
vw1500
Drives
VW
Had been asking around and from what I gather that V112 form will need to be used when taxing the car and the MOT has expired in place of an MOT cert and that's why it has to be done at a post office. Why this can't just be done online I don't know.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
According to Burton Power build code guide its Dec '81 built so can i apply for tax/MOT exemption in the new year then?

I got a Heritage Certificate from the British Motoring Museum for my car as proof, maybe you can get similar.

Dec '81 build would leave it tax exempt from April '22

DJMCA

RMS Regular
I got a Heritage Certificate from the British Motoring Museum for my car as proof, maybe you can get similar.

Dec '81 build would leave it tax exempt from April '22
Mine is quite heavily modified so that may cause issues
Had been asking around and from what I gather that V112 form will need to be used when taxing the car and the MOT has expired in place of an MOT cert and that's why it has to be done at a post office. Why this can't just be done online I don't know.
Do you have to use the V112 every year then?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
You still have to tax/sorn it every year, you just don't pay.

I'll maybe give that a go today then, just put HISTORIC VEHICLE as the class of exemption. Did they take your V5?
You sign the V112 and put "r" in the box, as per instructions on the form and categories on the reverse side. Teller in the PO writes historic on V5, stamps it and sends it off. Gives you back V112 and insurance.
And this was just a wee PO in a local spar shop and she didn't think twice about what to do. Must be a pretty common thing and easy for them.

vw1500

RMS Regular
OP
vw1500
Drives
VW
Was your car just turning 40 and getting classed as historic for tax and mot, or were you getting it reg'd in your name? Apologies for 6000 questions. When I was at the post office yesterday they didn't seem to know much about this.

Have the form etc printed out here to try later.

Have been told by someone that their system can only change the status when taxing/sorning a vehicle.
Mine is quite heavily modified so that may cause issues

Do you have to use the V112 every year then?

Afaik once it's done that's it. There is guidance online as to what they regard as modified. ...............................just not very much as to how you go about it over here

Last edited: