Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I just got a form through for my M3 to apply for an MOT

I assume anything previously missed due to Covid is being caught up with

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Had found that. Think things are slightly different for over here as usual though! Rules of what's eligible etc should be the same.
I think its the fact that were only recently on board with the 40 year thing, the rules are the same as far as i am aware. Just depends who you get at the counter it seems

vw1500

RMS Regular
OP
vw1500
Drives
VW
I think because i already had it taxed the code on v11z reminder wouldnt access my details on the system. They didnt account for people whose mot expired after their tax.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I taxed my Wolseley last week, the MOT ran out 2 months ago. I taxed it in the post office, I just said it doesn't need an MOT anymore and they were fine.

The guy said to me, do I want to wait a couple of days until the start of August so I don't have to pay for July. It's free mate, tax exempt. :joy:

vw1500

RMS Regular
OP
vw1500
Drives
VW
Every year I used to have to explain that it was free and use a highlighter on the bit of the renewal letter that said £0.00.................... then explain that I didn't need a certificate of exemption :rolleyes: so just started to do renew online

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Every year I used to have to explain that it was free and use a highlighter on the bit of the renewal letter that said £0.00.................... then explain that I didn't need a certificate of exemption :rolleyes: so just started to do renew online
Yeah, I’ve always done it online. Though we have to go to the post office now because the car isn’t MOT’d. A well, I’d rather that than having to get a car MOT’d every year. (y)

DJMCA

RMS Regular
I would just worry how that works with insurance etc. With the V112 form you are basically self certifying the MOT exemption lol

vw1500

RMS Regular
OP
vw1500
Drives
VW
I've been told by someone who had a discussion with the DVLA about a similar issue to mine that I'm to drive away until tax expires next year and then fill in the V112 when taxing at post office. If you get stopped by police or whatever they can check that it's over 40years old and exempt. Loophole of sorts in that they hadn't considered that tax and mot renewals aren't at the same time!

AFAIK if you check any historic car on https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk the MOT status will show as green as they're exempt.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I would just worry how that works with insurance etc. With the V112 form you are basically self certifying the MOT exemption lol
That's exactly the case, you are self-certifying, you sign the form and the onus is on you to ensure that the vehicle is kept roadworthy. And that's always the case anyway; the onus is on the owner.
The MOT only guarantees road worthiness the moment it drives out of the test centre. I think you are still able to pay your money and get a test if you want. Or get a mechanic to look it over once a year.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
That's exactly the case, you are self-certifying, you sign the form and the onus is on you to ensure that the vehicle is kept roadworthy. And that's always the case anyway; the onus is on the owner.
The MOT only guarantees road worthiness the moment it drives out of the test centre. I think you are still able to pay your money and get a test if you want. Or get a mechanic to look it over once a year.
As long as the insurance is valid thats all i would worry about lol. Yeah, i know boys that get them MOTd anyway, personally i wouldnt bother as i know the car is 110% and gets anything it needs. Wife says its treated better than her :joy:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Result!
The vehicle formerly known as Bicycle, now identifies as Historic Vehicle.

20210901_182246.jpg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Do you need to apply for that ?

My car is due tax free this year, and current tax expires in October.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Thread revival alert!!!

Ok, so my car is now MOT exempt, this has been confirmed by DVLA. It wont be Historic until April 2023, i cant be arsed proving it was built Dec 81 as its a ballache.

My issue is that my current MOT expires June, i dont intend to MOT it this year.

The online system will show it as MOT expired apparently until its classed as Historic next year. What way will this work for the Police if im driving about with MOT expired showing?? Dont want pulled over everytime i go out for a blast.

Have contacted DVLA and they are useless, basically said the Police will be ok with it??????

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Have contacted DVLA and they are useless, basically said the Police will be ok with it??????

I'd say just tear away and Carry the documents you need to prove its all above board at the Roadside.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Id say most Police would understand the 40 year exemption and be ok but just a bit worried tbh. I have screenshots from DVLA emails and will carry V5, insurance etc.

Would just be a pain in the arse if you get pulled evertime your out lol

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Get a V112 form, which you just sign yourself and carry with you. So it's basically saying that you know your car is roadworthy and is MOT exempt.