MOT fail, HID with no washers or self levelling

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
My DC2 passed with the stickers just on the plastic not on the dials itself but they did tell me to sort it for next time

I don’t want to though as the car is extremely original and I don’t want to take it apart and it start rattling etc so ill just chance it next time

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
We allowed GPS speedos yet? Or any way to tap into the running gear feed for an add on digital speedo?

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
We allowed GPS speedos yet? Or any way to tap into the running gear feed for an add on digital speedo?
Not to my knowledge, we asked last time my mates DC5 went for MOT. Dials must be functioning and corrected is what we got told.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I put stickers I made myself on paint.net, printed on adhesive paper and then stuck onto the Speedo itself in the integra (not the glass) and it's passed ever MOT here like that.

My own run-in with an MOT jobsworth was taking the integra to Larne in 2021 as it was the only place I could get one at the time. Tester comes round with the car and says I'll need to take it back because the foglight was too close to the brake light (it was placed in one of the reverse lights) and it should be an easy job, just cut a hole in the bumper etc. I then asked him how it passed 3 times in a row at Mallusk without them mentioning it and he just gave a gruff "well it hasn't passed here" and walked off. Put me in a foul mood and couldn't get another test (I didn't dare try reboot a retest as that would be the only thing they would be checking) at Mallusk for another 2 months meaning I lost most of the summer unable to use the car and Mallusk passed it without so much as mentioning the foglight. The guy even chatted to me for 5 minutes about the car and asked if I was thinking of selling it etc. I took it to Boucher last year and no issues there either.

tl;dr - **** Larne MOT centre

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
Yea I think I had the same guy in Larne and failed me on the same thing…. I had to get another fog fitted on bottom of bumper & change the switch with on that has a light built in.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Situations like that ask to speak to the centre manager and plead your case, dickheads like that need railroaded, what the feck is fog anyway see snow more often

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Had a run-in with a tester in Larne previously as well, when they wanted to emissions test a Q reg kit car... it's black and white in the MOT manual that it's visual smoke test only! I ended up speaking to the centre manager. Won't take another car there again, Mallusk every time!

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Always some pikey moves needed at times. My best was found the Lockwood style dial set on eBay and just printed his picture off of the dial.

popped the plastic dash off and slipped the print out in without moving the needle even, just cut a slice in the paper and slid it down behind the needle.

Passed. Blue Peter badge in the post.

Never had grief about HID’s but it can be butchered with some pipe from screen wash pipe work.

svc

Drives
TDI
Nice to think you'd rather work around the HID issue, which came from the EU, due to proper hids potentially more blinding (for other road users) hence the levelling, and easier to block / with muck, decreasing safety/usefullness for the driver, hence the cleaning washing facility, high pressure, to actually clean the lights, not a dribble from a screen wash.
Never thought about the mph/km matter as most cars, not antiques, sold have both?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
My 2017 Golf has MPH only on the clocks.

Probably a setting somewhere to change them but I’m not stopping at the side of the M1 to do that.

The Cayenne was exactly the same. Had to dig around in the settings to get a digital KPH readout. Not exactly safe at motorway speeds.

Funnily enough no one’s mentioned it at MOT.
Noticed this morning my new car doesn't have headlight washers despite having LED Matrix headlights

There’s a brightness level on LEDs before washers are required. My b9 A4 didn’t have them but my Golf does. Must be a brighter light on the Golf.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Nice to think you'd rather work around the HID issue, which came from the EU, due to proper hids potentially more blinding (for other road users) hence the levelling, and easier to block / with muck, decreasing safety/usefullness for the driver, hence the cleaning washing facility, high pressure, to actually clean the lights, not a dribble from a screen wash.
Never thought about the mph/km matter as most cars, not antiques, sold have both?

The high pressure wash still does next to nothing, just wets the lamp and it runs back off again. I've had cars with the high pressure jets. Though I do agree keeping the headlights correctly aligned is important so not to blind other road users, but I can achieve that with the height adjustment buttons that's always there if self levelling isn't. Most people probably never touch it unfortunately

UK cars will have dual read, or at least MPH with a KMPH digital readout, but not all imported cars do. I've yet to see anything from Japan come in with dual reading. Even new ones. Nothing to do with being antiques.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
UK cars will have dual read, or at least MPH with a KMPH digital readout, but not all imported cars do. I've yet to see anything from Japan come in with dual reading. Even new ones. Nothing to do with being antiques.
Yep, it's not even an advisory with imports in England going through MOT. My car was MOT'd when it was brought in and was just on MPH clocks. Over here it is tested as you can drive for an hour and be on roads that need kmph.

My FN2 civic had a toggle button on the dash that changed the readout, no menus or messing about.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I've a 2014 Freelander that only has mph clocks and although the digital readouts can be changed to kmh, it can only be done once.... 8o|
2017 Tipo can be changed to kmh on a steering wheel toggle which is dead handy.
Pain in the hole for older cars that don't have dual readouts. My 155 Q4 only has kmh and I switched to a dual mph/kmh clock face to keep the original mileage but needle calibration is pretty frigged now. 😒

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular
An MOT tester in Larne once asked me if I could change the clocks to KPH. I said yes but I'd have to go home and read the manual to see which buttons to press, so he went into lecture mode about EU rules and what would I do if I crossed the border blah blah. He said he'd let me off this time but I'd need to be able to change them at the next test or it was a fail, but the fact I didn't get an advisory suggested he was just being a pr!ck about it.