MOT fail, HID with no washers or self levelling

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Though I'm not too sure about what to do about the lights. I'm pretty sure they are HID from factory, and not aftermarket.

They may have been HID from the factory in Japan, and no doubt the car complies with Japanese rules.

There were almost no official UK cars of any marque without the aforementioned items though ( those that exist are rare )

Either fit normal headlights, or fit washers from a UK car that had washers.

colin84

RMS Regular
The Mitsubishi Evo was one car that was sold from UK dealerships without headlight washers or self leveling.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Could call their bluff and just fit the tops of pop up washers to the bumper with double sided sticky tape so it looks like they're there

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Could call their bluff and just fit the tops of pop up washers to the bumper with double sided sticky tape so it looks like they're there
Lack of squirty water would probably raise some suspicion 😂🙈

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
My UK freelander 2 has no kph markings on the speedo either. I first noticed it crossing the border at ravensdale and looked down to see how much over I was lol.

Gemma

RMS Regular
@Big Pimp seen that myself when on the search for answers and something to do with the bulb being under 2000lumen. How the feck an mot tester gona know that lol
Unless it's really obvious in brightness? But no way of testing it?

RevT

RMS Regular
The rules are in place to ensure UK cars with hids dont dazzle other users. Nothing to do with LHD. Dirty headlights or headlights with heavy loads will dazzle more than clean headlights (due to washers) and self levelling headlights. Hence the UK has rules for this.

Apart from the fancy Volvos and the old Fords with the headlight wipers, have you ever seen the headlight washers from a car actually wash a dirty headlight? I’ve had many with washers and they just spray onto the headlight and it runs straight off, the headlight is just as dirty as it was before. 😂

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Apart from the fancy Volvos and the old Fords with the headlight wipers, have you ever seen the headlight washers from a car actually wash a dirty headlight? I’ve had many with washers and they just spray onto the headlight and it runs straight off, the headlight is just as dirty as it was before. 😂
They work when driving and before the dirt dries.

I'm sure there is a post somewhere about HID's and MOT.....

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
thats all new BMWs frigged then.

My 2019 X5 has LED headlights and no washers at all

What he's saying isn't totally correct. There's a light / power limit for the LED's before the washers are required. My old A4 had LED's but no washers.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
My UK freelander 2 has no kph markings on the speedo either. I first noticed it crossing the border at ravensdale and looked down to see how much over I was lol.

Likely you can bring up a kph display on the dash though. My Volvo is the same.
@Big Pimp seen that myself when on the search for answers and something to do with the bulb being under 2000lumen. How the feck an mot tester gona know that lol
Unless it's really obvious in brightness? But no way of testing it?

When it's obvious the car is totally standard with regards to the headlights...do they need to go further ? And the headlight test machine should give an indication of lumens output.

Xenons have been an issue for years, everyone knows about it. So not quite the same.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Subaru Forester MOT spec.
I had to us duck tape on the bonnet as the ceramic coating meant masking tape wouldn’t stick. And the speedo stickers look ridiculous.
Retest booked for tomorrow in Mallusk. Fingers crossed I get someone who’s sound. 🤞
3788184E-76BB-4369-BB93-71519AC86A96.jpeg
580F1E3B-E7A6-4BF6-8E66-B13F2F215F39.jpeg
601A690D-7EB0-4FE8-8794-279E3DD65D8A.jpeg

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
🤣 This is brilliant and testament to the fact that an MOT only validates a vehicles roadworthiness at the time of the test. The dogs in the street know that those washer pipes will be gone within hours of a pass.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
🤣 This is brilliant and testament to the fact that an MOT only validates a vehicles roadworthiness at the time of the test. The dogs in the street know that those washer pipes will be gone within hours of a pass.
I haven’t passed yet. They still might tell me to bugger off. 🤣

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
What have other people done with the speedo not showing kph? I didn’t really know what else to do?