MOT/Tax Historic Exemption / legal

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I thought I'd have a quick look at an old 1976 bike that I have on SORN, hopefully soon to be historic class. Typed the reg into gov.uk and get "Vehicle details could not be found"
!!!!
I do have the V5 so I'm going to email them but wondering what's up with that?
Just had a mild panic attack.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Depends which DVLA service you used, many of the online ones don't work on NI vehicles.

This one should work:

If it's SORN then you may struggle to get it back on the road. Basically they're completely swamped for everything that isn't an automated online request. You'd be very lucky to get through to them at all.

And that's before the disaster that is an MoT right now.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
A friend is in this current situation (According to him)

His car is 2015 and unknown to him (dont ask), it was due MOT in Feb 2020

Now due to the MOT issues we have been having and covid obviously he wouldnt have been able to get a test and should of got an exemption.

So, since he hasnt got MOT/exemption he cannot tax the car, even though its £0

He has a MOT date of 10/10/2020 as this will be its first MOT in NI (english car) but am I right in saying he CANNOT DRIVE until then??

The car isnt technically taxed nor MOT/exempt but is insured.

Thanks

RevT

RMS Regular
Technically he is required to MOT and tax it before it can be on the road, however, it’d be very unlikely that he’d get done for either in the next week as long as he’s not drawing attention to himself.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Without MoT, at best he can legally drive to and from a garage to address minor MoT issues, and to and from an MoT test centre for the purpose of doing the test.

That's it. And that's at best. The car still has to be "road worthy" and "safe".

Without tax or insurance it needs to be trailered.

Without tax it can't even be parked up on a public road!

Whether to chance it anyway is up to him. I certainly wouldn't do any long trips...

The whole system is a royal mess right now...

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Yeah thats what i have said to him that he cannot drive the car until the day of the test and to the test centre - up to him if he wants to take the risk

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
If the car isn't taxed and MOT'd, it's not insured, correct? So if he was to have an accident between now and the 10th he wouldn't be insured?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Not sure about tax. I think it's the other way around - you must have insurance to pay tax?

No MoT may invalidate the insurance in the case of an accident at least.

The insurance might still be valid in the case of fire or theft, etc. Or maybe not if the car is kept on a public road.

Minefield.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If the car isn't taxed and MOT'd, it's not insured, correct? So if he was to have an accident between now and the 10th he wouldn't be insured?

No.

Tax is totally irrelevant, and whilst some might spout something about MOT...given the MOT cert is worthless, all the vehicle needs to be is roadworthy.
Even more so in current times with an MOT cert is less than worthless because they're made up lol

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
You see people in court for no tax and mot along with other motoring offences. Its not always accompanied by a no insurance charge so I'd doubt it's linked or they'd liked be up for that too

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Tax doesn't affect insurance as far as I know. It's the other way around, the car must be insured in order to pay tax.

It's that any insurance policy requires the vehicle to be road worthy, etc. So if something happens and the car has no valid MoT at the time then you may be found in breach of the terms of the policy.

And that may invalidate the policy. So not only might you not get a payout, but it may count as driving without valid insurance at that point.

It's the same with any other breach of insurance policy, like not declaring mods, or driving for work on a social and domestic only policy, etc. It becomes a potential problem at the point something happens, and the circumstances at that point.

RevT

RMS Regular

No. Load of sh*te that is spouted by many a person.

MOT / Tax is completely seperate from insurance. Some insurance companies, however, will try to get out of it in the event of a claim, but if you can prove it was roadworthy, you’re pretty much sorted.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There's an example posted on here where valid MOT was included in a clause in the T&C's. I thought it was a load of crap as well until someone pulled a screenshot of it out. It's pretty rare though.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
No. Load of sh*te that is spouted by many a person.

MOT / Tax is completely seperate from insurance. Some insurance companies, however, will try to get out of it in the event of a claim, but if you can prove it was roadworthy, you’re pretty much sorted.
Exactly my point, if you’re involved in an accident and it’s proven you have no MOT, I highly doubt they’ll pay out

RevT

RMS Regular
Exactly my point, if you’re involved in an accident and it’s proven you have no MOT, I highly doubt they’ll pay out

‘Roadworthy’ as in the condition is what is needed, not valid MOT. I know of a couple that have had no MOT in a crash and they’ve all got paid out.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
an MOT cert in no way whatsoever means the vehicle is roadworthy so it would be pointless for an insurance company to legally use that as some sort of condition and actually stand over it.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
I remember getting insured with Quinn in 2002 and they wouldn't start cover until I sent them a copy of the MOT cert. Extra pain in that I bought the car with no MOT and they wouldn't even cover me to drive to the test, had to get mechanic to do it with traders insurance!
Have heard of someone before crashing with no MOT and they paid out.