MOT: Vehicle test centre closes over fault in car lifts

brendy

RMS Regular
Stock picture..helpful MOT man tightening a battery clamp.
Screenshot_20200122-000153_Chrome.jpg

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Funny when I was in Mallusk test centre on Saturday past they had one down by the doors all cordoned off welding away. Wonder was this why ^o)

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
In the first pic that looks like JB weld slathered over that vertical crack :eek:

Or maybe its not a crack and is just grease.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
In the first pic that looks like JB weld slathered over that vertical crack :eek:

Or maybe its not a crack and is just grease.
Grease off the pit jack I would say.

Heard this yesterday, Cookstown centre shut down. These ramps were only replaced a few years ago too but they are getting a lot more use over the last few years. Each lane has went from 3 cars every 20 mins to 4 cars effectively increasing their workload by 25%

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Grease off the pit jack I would say.

Heard this yesterday, Cookstown centre shut down. These ramps were only replaced a few years ago too but they are getting a lot more use over the last few years. Each lane has went from 3 cars every 20 mins to 4 cars effectively increasing their workload by 25%

33% increase.

And yet they still managed to fall 4 months behind last year... 🤦‍♂️

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Regardless of how often they're used....when it's largely just cars on them, and likely nowhere near the lifting capacity of the lift. It's not a great advert for whoever makes them.

SH4U11

RMS Regular
Drives
AudiA6
Any sort of lifting equipment should be inspected by the operator that is trained on using the equipment. 6 monthly by competent person.

This is law, I don't understand how a government testing agency has fallen short of this!.. Leaving themselves wide open.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Any sort of lifting equipment should be inspected by the operator that is trained on using the equipment. 6 monthly by competent person.

This is law, I don't understand how a government testing agency has fallen short of this!.. Leaving themselves wide open.

You'd think given their usage, and where they are etc....a weekly inspection at least would seem sensible.

But maybe they just wait to the company who inspects them comes in to check, and they do no maintenance etc prior to this. Much as most people seem to do with their MOT lol

K'dg

RMS Regular
My MOT was booked for last night and got a call about half an hour before hand to tell me of the test centre issue. I was told I would be contacted within the next day or two to reschedule.
My concern is how this impacts if the deadline passes? my MOT expires 26th so if they don't get sorted and get me rebooked where do I stand on driving?
I'm dependent on using my car for daily commute etc. have paid to maintain the car and obviously had made sure to be booked for MOT so if they can't facilitate are they going to ensure drivers aren't penalised?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
10 centres currently closed last I heard as of 4.30pm yesterday.

All the test lane equipment is on a 6mth inspection but that was when they were under contract, not sure if that was maintained, I would think it would have to be as that included the calibration of the equipment. The inspectors are for insurance purposes as fair as I am aware and the ramps are independently inspected once a year.
MAHA guys were usually pretty good with the maintenance

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That is going to create a fair build up of applications that will have to be deferred. :eek:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I need to MOT my Q5 by mid Feb, need to check if there will be a problem or hopefully all issues resolved by then!

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
As long as Mallusk isn't impacted by next Wednesday I'm happy.

Have seen quite a few people using this as a platform to call for English style MOT's, however I think there is something to be said for an independent MOT testing centre.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Release from DfI
Statement in relation to MOT car and light vehicle tests

“DVA is currently carrying out checks on vehicle lifts in its MOT test centres, following the identification of faults. This is precautionary and to ensure the safety of staff and customers. It is anticipated that these inspections will be completed today and any necessary repairs will be carried out as soon as possible. As and when test centres have been inspected and any necessary repairs completed, they will immediately become operational.

“At present, there are limited tests being carried out at most MOT centres and appointments are being rescheduled while inspections and repairs are completed. Mallusk is the only test centre not carrying out car and light vehicle tests; heavy goods vehicles and bus tests remain unaffected. DVA is making every effort to contact customers to reschedule appointments and will prioritise customers who require an immediate test.

“All other test centres remain open and customers should attend their MOT appointment unless contacted by DVA.

"DVA sincerely apologises for the inconvenience caused. It is working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.”

nidirect The Consumer Council Northern Ireland

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
Release from DfI
Statement in relation to MOT car and light vehicle tests

“DVA is currently carrying out checks on vehicle lifts in its MOT test centres, following the identification of faults. This is precautionary and to ensure the safety of staff and customers. It is anticipated that these inspections will be completed today and any necessary repairs will be carried out as soon as possible. As and when test centres have been inspected and any necessary repairs completed, they will immediately become operational.

“At present, there are limited tests being carried out at most MOT centres and appointments are being rescheduled while inspections and repairs are completed. Mallusk is the only test centre not carrying out car and light vehicle tests; heavy goods vehicles and bus tests remain unaffected. DVA is making every effort to contact customers to reschedule appointments and will prioritise customers who require an immediate test.

“All other test centres remain open and customers should attend their MOT appointment unless contacted by DVA.

"DVA sincerely apologises for the inconvenience caused. It is working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.”

nidirect The Consumer Council Northern Ireland

B******s.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
As long as Mallusk isn't impacted by next Wednesday I'm happy.

Have seen quite a few people using this as a platform to call for English style MOT's, however I think there is something to be said for an independent MOT testing centre.
It will never go to the garages here, if it ever gets privatised it will be a company like NCT or ITV will take it over, it will always be independent. Besides, some of these "mechanics" that people are calling to train as MOT inspectors can't even prepare a car to pass a minimum standard test never mind inspect and certify :laughing:

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
Is it correct that all MOT testers are also qualified as driving test examiners? Maybe I am imagining things again

Last edited: