MOT: Vehicle test centre closes over fault in car lifts

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
s2000 is due mot next month, what should i do, make appointment online. Ideally id like to avoid going in, simply as thats the advice.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
s2000 is due mot next month, what should i do, make appointment online. Ideally id like to avoid going in, simply as thats the advice.
If it's got an MOT at the moment, go ahead and book it. Chances are a week later you'll get a letter to say your MOT expiry has been extended anyway. Both our MX5 and 207 were due in the next few weeks and we've had letters for both to say they aren't due til July/August now.

Jordy

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi / E46 M3
Do you just book a test as normal to get an extension or is it updated automatically once MOT expires?

E46 is due at end of May....

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Seriously, what did you expect them to do, stay open for the examiners to catch COVID

Can't believe the amount of people complaining (not just on here) about the test centres closing. MOT / PSV does not make the car any safer or drive any better - Essential Work, drive on, non essential - STAY THE F**** HOME LIKE YOU ARE TOLD TOO

Dave..

RMS Regular
Seriously, what did you expect them to do, stay open for the examiners to catch COVID

Can't believe the amount of people complaining (not just on here) about the test centres closing. MOT / PSV does not make the car any safer or drive any better - Essential Work, drive on, non essential - STAY THE F**** HOME LIKE YOU ARE TOLD TOO
Who is complaining on here?
This is a forum were people ask each other questions and post replies.
Sure the amount of non-essential people running about it’ll in mean a few less car owners will be alive to worry about it
I am just back from near Killinchy and the roads are jammed with cars & lorries.

'96dc2

RMS Regular

Chill mate. No one on here minds about test centres being closed. Probably glad! 🤣

Bryan

RMS Regular
It's a tad annoying because I have a wee car I'm working on to get it through the test and then sell it on. It can wait though I doubt anyone would be buying it any time soon anyway. Everyone needs to be at home now.

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
Do you just book a test as normal to get an extension or is it updated automatically once MOT expires?

E46 is due at end of May....

you need to book as normal. Some tests were happening, some cancelled and extended. It was pot luck really.

obviously all test centres closed now tho due to the virus.

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi

All MOTs now suspended

MOTs suspended until 22nd June

there’ll be loads of people on 3 month extensions from the lift problem all expiring in June. Mine expires 1st July which leaves a 1 week window so I’ve just booked a new appointment for 24th June which means regardless of what happens, I’ve at least attempted to get the MOT sorted before expiry.

I reckon another round of extensions may be issued!

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
In my view they'll probably have to look at moving to a 2 year system something similar to the NCT coupled with putting the inspectors on shift 24/7 if needs be to clear the backlog!

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Phoned up about my refund today. The girl said it's and automatic refund but just when they get around to it. Hardly automatic ffs. 'The money is just resting in their account'!

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
Phoned up about my refund today. The girl said it's and automatic refund but just when they get around to it. Hardly automatic ffs. 'The money is just resting in their account'!

I emailed about mine a couple of days ago and it came in today hence rebooking this evening.

Kampfer

RMS Member
MOT / PSV does not make the car any safer or drive any better - Essential Work, drive on, non essential - STAY THE F**** HOME LIKE YOU ARE TOLD TOO

As long as the insurance still covers my car and police won't give me fine driving for my now weekly shopping, I have no issue not getting MOT done.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
In my view they'll probably have to look at moving to a 2 year system something similar to the NCT coupled with putting the inspectors on shift 24/7 if needs be to clear the backlog!
A two year system would be a massive blow to the motor trade not to mention road safety

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
Well they are going to have to figure that out, that’s what they get paid for. But two years isn’t the answer, maybe getting garages to do mot would maybe help, even just certain garages. Hire more staff, run longer opening hours, plenty of places work night shift

brendy

RMS Regular
2 years would lead to a lot of scrapped cars in my opinion, imagine any family on the bread line with a car, maintenance and repairs will be left to mot time and either throw it through the test and see what it needs, maybe too much and its beyond economic repair.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often

Not directni.gov specifically but should make it here