MOT: Vehicle test centre closes over fault in car lifts

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
my Car failed mot 2 weeks ago and it’s ready for retest does anyone know if I book it or not? I don’t mind driving without mot as will only be for shopping but if I can get a tec least it’s one less thing to worry about

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
my Car failed mot 2 weeks ago and it’s ready for retest does anyone know if I book it or not? I don’t mind driving without mot as will only be for shopping but if I can get a tec least it’s one less thing to worry about

No MOTs are being carried out so no point, unless you're booking quite far into the future.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
The MOT Centres aren’t getting any info from above them. I’m in complete confusion regarding certain aspects of MOTing and exceptions and no one seems to have definitive answers to my queries.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
May Day isn't the 1st, it's the first monday, or since 2020 is special it's Friday 8th

Reactions: Ben

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
I just booked the MOT for the bike there, 29th April. I expect they won't give me an exemption and it'll be delayed due to not being on the road for so long

Kampfer

RMS Member
MOT update for 4 years old car:
(Coronavirus (Covid 19) and motoring | nidirect)

Four year old cars will, from 26 March 2020, be given a Temporary Exemption Certificate (TEC) for six months from the date that their MOT test should have been due. This will allow the vehicle to be taxed and driven on the road. Issuing the certificates will take some time but the exemption will automatically apply from the due date.

Temporary Exemption Certificate (TEC)

Arrangements are in place to make sure that those vehicles whose MOT certificates have expired or will expire within eight weeks, are granted an automatic Temporary Exemption Certificate (TEC). This TEC will issue well in advance of the expiry date, to provide assurances to customers that they may continue to drive.

This will give a temporary exemption from the legal requirement to hold an MOT certificate up to the new date on the TEC. The paper copy of the certificate, with the new expiry date, will be sent to the registered keeper's address - allow up to 10 days for delivery.

However, this can only be granted for tests already booked by customers and cancelled by the DVA.

It remains the responsibility of the vehicle owner to make sure their car is in a roadworthy condition to be used on a public road.

graham8

RMS Regular
Can anyone clarify this for me.. if I have a car that’s MOT ran out in November can I book a test and it’ll get an exemption or is it only cars that have a more recent expiry date? The car is road worthy from the best of my knowledge and was wanting to get it on the road again.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Can anyone clarify this for me.. if I have a car that’s MOT ran out in November can I book a test and it’ll get an exemption or is it only cars that have a more recent expiry date? The car is road worthy from the best of my knowledge and was wanting to get it on the road again.
Nope.

If car is out of MOT it won’t get an exception, well that was a case when exemptions were due to the lifts cracking before places closed due to covid-19.

Can’t see it being different now tho but can try lol

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Nope.

If car is out of MOT it won’t get an exception, well that was a case when exemptions were due to the lifts cracking before places closed due to covid-19.

Can’t see it being different now tho but can try lol
Nonsense. My Anni was up in November, booked Sunday night just past, got one for Monday and the exemption was showing on the system on Tuesday, car taxed on Wednesday no problem. MOT now runs out 4th of August.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I got an exemption for my Fiat Panda which expired in December 2019 however I am still waiting for communication about another car that expired years ago booked at the exact same time (almost 2 weeks ago).

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Nonsense. My Anni was up in November, booked Sunday night just past, got one for Monday and the exemption was showing on the system on Tuesday, car taxed on Wednesday no problem. MOT now runs out 4th of August.
Might be changed not with centres Actually completely closed. Before hand a tester in Enniskillen was saying they weren’t doing that as any **** could get anything piece of ***** mot’d

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
The MOT Centres aren’t getting any info from above them. I’m in complete confusion regarding certain aspects of MOTing and exceptions and no one seems to have definitive answers to my queries.
Same here. For example, a guy is offering me a car which hasn’t been MOT’d since Feb 2019. He’s claiming that he has applied for an MOT today and has been given a three month “extension”.
In my mind that doesn’t make since as the car could literally be in any shape having been parked up for over a year, how can they apply a TEC to such a vehicle?

How can they stand over it if say the vehicle was involved in a crash due to being unsafe and unroadworthy by MOT standards?
I imagine there’s going to be an awful lot of grey areas if and when it comes to insurance claims in the event of accidents etc....

A regular car owners view of what’s safe can and does indeed differ from what an MOT centre says! I’m sure many an MoT tester can attest to that based on what they see presented to them as an owner deeming to be roadworthy!

Last edited:

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Then I very much doubt they will get an extension as the vehicle needs a valid MOT to extend onto. I noticed from that my old car is showing as expired from the 18th so I would believe the 5 days would be entirely true. No idea where it is or who owns it now.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Then I very much doubt they will get an extension as the vehicle needs a valid MOT to extend onto. I noticed from that my old car is showing as expired from the 18th so I would believe the 5 days would be entirely true. No idea where it is or who owns it now.
Yea in my head that’s how it works as well, but there are people in this very thread who are saying different?

@purplea4T for example states he had a car that’s MOT expired in November and he has got a TEC after applying for a test less than two weeks ago? And that he has taxed the car the day after Applying for the test?

I’m not suggesting for one moment his car is unsafe, I’ve seen his cars and have no doubt that it is safe, however there is the potential for any piece of scrap to now have a TEC and technically deemed road worthy. I know the TEC is only temporary, but it’s long enough to be involved in an accident and how would that scenario play out?

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Huh. That's news to me. I can only assume it can be applied only to cars that have expired MOTs in the past few months and not for example, cars that have failed their last MOT visit. I'd be keen to hear the outcome of your example above.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Huh. That's news to me. I can only assume it can be applied only to cars that have expired MOTs in the past few months and not for example, cars that have failed their last MOT visit. I'd be keen to hear the outcome of your example above.
I’d be keen to hear the outcome too! Lol The gov.ni website is as clear as mud. It says one thing and then contradicts itself later. If it doesn’t contradict itself then it leaves large loop holes which may be exploited.

And I’d question your theory on “a few months” November to April is what, 5, nearly 6 months depending on what date in November @purplea4T ’s car’s MOT expired. Sorry to use you again as an example buddy lol

edit: @Bryan also has said similar with his example being a car that’s test expired in December....

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Yea in my head that’s how it works as well, but there are people in this very thread who are saying different?

@purplea4T for example states he had a car that’s MOT expired in November and he has got a TEC after applying for a test less than two weeks ago? And that he has taxed the car the day after Applying for the test?

I’m not suggesting for one moment his car is unsafe, I’ve seen his cars and have no doubt that it is safe, however there is the potential for any piece of scrap to now have a TEC and technically deemed road worthy. I know the TEC is only temporary, but it’s long enough to be involved in an accident and how would that scenario play out?
It's not in any way designed to be a replacement for a test. If one was cynical, they'd say it was only to allow you to tax your car, ie, fulfills the legal requirements that way.
The arse hole DVLA were still running advertising campaigns telling drivers they would be clamped it the car was untaxed straight after a news item and interview with Nichola Mallon explaining the current predicament.
It's still down to the driver/owner to ensure it is roadworthy, I know that in itself opens a can of worms.
I got the TEC for the Anni within 3 days in the post, it was showing online the next day.

Last edited: