MOT

Peter

RMS Regular
It's jsut my luck man, I spent years building this. Finally put a big push there during winter to get mine and dad's roadworthy so we can ride out together over summer then this happens ffs.
I was quite lucky in this aspect, my GT is over in England for engine build and finishing off pieces, so I got them to MOT it a couple of weeks ago. They should get independent garages to begin MOT inspections over here. My bike should be MOT / Tax exempt but because we had no government this hasn't been passed and not a priority at the moment.

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
What happens in this case:
Just bought car that is due an MOT. The previous owner has applied for a date and been given an exemption. Will the fee be refunded to the original owner and i need to apply again for a date?

111gsi

RMS Regular
Has anyone got a refund from the first booking? Sounds like an admin nightmare waiting to happen.
Don't wait for the refund, cancel the booking yourself on the normal booking website once your TEC lands on the mat. I did that and £30.50 back on the credit card a few days later.

If you're past the cancellation cut off, not sure what to do other than wait it out.

kpnuts

RMS Member
Drives
205 GTi 16v
I've a couple of laid up cars to MoT and considering a trip to Scotland. Has anyone tried this? It seems a return journey can be had for £83 on the boat...

ECR

RMS Member
I've a couple of laid up cars to MoT and considering a trip to Scotland. Has anyone tried this? It seems a return journey can be had for £83 on the boat...
I took a car to Stranraer for an MOT a couple of times although it was many years ago. It was easy enough and a nice day out as well.

I suppose the biggest risk is if for some reason it doesn't pass the garage doing the MOT more or less has you over a barrel for doing the repair work and may price it accordingly. Hopefully there might be someone on here who has recent experience of the garages in Stranraer and might know if there are any to avoid. Obviously ensuring the car is thoroughly checked over before you take it will reduce the risk.

I have a car that has been laid up for a few years which I'm hoping to get back on the road. I can't see the local MOT centres opening at full capacity anytime soon, but hopefully they might reopen in the near future at least for vehicles not eligible for the TEC. If not I might have to consider the Scotland option.

£83 return seems like a very good fare, when I looked recently it was quoting me about twice that amount.

kpnuts

RMS Member
Drives
205 GTi 16v
£83 return seems like a very good fare, when I looked recently it was quoting me about twice that amount.

Your're right - It's £168 return! I only saw the price for the outward journey :joy:

A mate who runs a garage is hopefuly they'll start up again in August....

Robber

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiats mainly
Don't wait for the refund, cancel the booking yourself on the normal booking website once your TEC lands on the mat. I did that and £30.50 back on the credit card a few days later.

If you're past the cancellation cut off, not sure what to do other than wait it out.

I did this for the daily and thought I would chance it with a classic that's been sitting a few years. Just noticed online that it's now MOT'd til November.

However the website for cancelling and amending bookings seems to have been taken down, so I guess I'll either get an automatic refund or a new "free" test when they open again.