Motor insurance bureau

-herc-

RMS Regular
Guys

has anyone had dealings with them? Was recently involved in a head on collision in Holywood back in November. It resulted in me out of work for 12weeks along with a 4week phase in programme.

I have Lost earnings, potential bonus and promotion etc etc. I have paid all my treatments out of my own pocket (physiotherapy and counselling) Not to mention have had to change my sporting career MMA temporarily and change my work role to less driving hours..

I recently found out the chap didn’t have insurance and we now have to proceed through the MIB. My solicitor is dealing with this.

Just looking an idea as to how fair they are in paying out loss of earnings, potential loss of earnings etc. Are they quick to resolve these matters?

The gentleman is up in court in 2week for two account of dangerous driving causing gbh and driving without insurance.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
i wouldn’t hold your breath

similar happened to me years ago and i didn’t get anywhere close to what was owed

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Even if they were insured, you'd be lucky to get a fair settlement. Although a lot boils down to the solicitors etc and how far you are prepared to go to fight the case.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I was looking after the hash my Dad found himself in after getting hit head on by a disqualified scumbag p***k in Ballycastle last summer.

We used Crash Services who were brilliant, they dealt with MIB, but even though it was a clear cut case it still took over 6 months to get sorted.

Hearing what Crash’s guys told me, I wouldn’t want to deal with MIB myself. They chased them weekly and almost daily near the end to get it sorted.

Can’t advise on injury claims etc, we just claimed for the car being written off, but even that was a nightmare to get settled.

Dad was in a hire car through Crash, the final hire bill was only a few pounds short of £40k, which was all down to the fact the MIB took 6 months to settle a very straight forward case. They’re the company who are responsible for the pot of money for such instances, not much bloody use IMO!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I was looking after the hash my Dad found himself in after getting hit head on by a disqualified scumbag p***k in Ballycastle last summer.

We used Crash Services who were brilliant, they dealt with MIB, but even though it was a clear cut case it still took over 6 months to get sorted.

Hearing what Crash’s guys told me, I wouldn’t want to deal with MIB myself. They chased them weekly and almost daily near the end to get it sorted.

Can’t advise on injury claims etc, we just claimed for the car being written off, but even that was a nightmare to get settled.

Dad was in a hire car through Crash, the final hire bill was only a few pounds short of £40k, which was all down to the fact the MIB took 6 months to settle a very straight forward case. They’re the company who are responsible for the pot of money for such instances, not much bloody use IMO!

And all of these things are why insurance is so dear. The insurance system makes it this way, as you can be sure there was massive profit in there for someone for that hire car, nevermind Crash's fees, and solicitors fees etc etc etc
Probably well over £100k in total

KrisSRT

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTD
I had a claim last year, rear ended by an uninsured ball bag. That was April and they paid out in the first week of January, solicitor dealt with it all. Had to go and see a doctor as well. Don't expect it to be quick although I got a fair settlement from them.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
And all of these things are why insurance is so dear. The insurance system makes it this way, as you can be sure there was massive profit in there for someone for that hire car, nevermind Crash's fees, and solicitors fees etc etc etc
Probably well over £100k in total

Totally agree, but these companies only exist due to the extreme ineptitude of our insurance companies. When you’re on the receiving end of some uninsured scumbag, why should we have to deal with so much of the hassle and stress of sorting things properly?

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H
I had a claim last year, rear ended by an uninsured ball bag. That was April and they paid out in the first week of January, solicitor dealt with it all. Had to go and see a doctor as well. Don't expect it to be quick although I got a fair settlement from them.

I’ve read mixed reports on MIB payouts and how rubbish they are so felt the need to ask. Do you feel you got what you deserved!

KrisSRT

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTD
I’ve read mixed reports on MIB payouts and how rubbish they are so felt the need to ask. Do you feel you got what you deserved!
Yes I do feel like it was a fair payout. But your accident was a lot more serious than mine so I hope they treat you right. I was a passenger in my friends car which got hit at about 35/40 mph while we were stationary at a set of traffic lights. I had about a week off work and then was on light duties for a month. My injuries were only muscle injuries and bruises.

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H
Yes I do feel like it was a fair payout. But your accident was a lot more serious than mine so I hope they treat you right. I was a passenger in my friends car which got hit at about 35/40 mph while we were stationary at a set of traffic lights. I had about a week off work and then was on light duties for a month. My injuries were only muscle injuries and bruises.

appreciate it buddy. I was 12weeks physio and only stopped due to hAving to go back to work. I’m about 95% recovered. Just hand is my biggest issue. Had damage to hips, chest, back, neck and hand. Plus stitches due to open wound.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Totally agree, but these companies only exist due to the extreme ineptitude of our insurance companies. When you’re on the receiving end of some uninsured scumbag, why should we have to deal with so much of the hassle and stress of sorting things properly?

I had to deal with a pile of **** when I was hit with an insured scumbag. It was no less pleasant. The problem IS the insurance system itself.

but the bottom line is it really isnt in their interest to change things. It never costs them any money, they profit from it all. If payouts get bigger, costs get higher...all they do is increase premiums. So who pays for it ? All the mugs who have to.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

If only you knew half the hassle I had to go through with an insured driver crashing into my wife nearly 2 years ago. I had to chase Aviva myself, the other guys insurance company, to get what was owed, the body shop that repaired our vehicle had to threaten them with a law suit to get paid and RAM (the accident management company we went with who I most certainly wouldn’t recommend) didn’t get paid for almost a year.

That was after it had be decided that the other guy was at fault and that Aviva were liable for the bill. Would hate to have seen the outcome had he not been insured.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

Did they write the car off or repair it in the end? I remember you were a bit unsure about the values when it happened.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Did they write the car off or repair it in the end? I remember you were a bit unsure about the values when it happened.

It was written off thankfully. Bit of arguing between CAP and Glasses Guide valuation, but we got there in the end. He had return to invoice Gap insurance thankfully, so this time he won’t be out of pocket.

3 years ago he got hit head on by another ballbag in Portstewart who was off his face, that time it cost Dad quite a bit to get back into another similar car. Gap was well worth having!

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H
Get yourself a very good solicitor. My wife deals with these sorts of claims in her line of work and it all boils down to your solicitor, so she said anyway.

I have one buddy and she is dealing with the case. Just thought I’d ask here if anyone had any previous dealings with MIB

@wes what are the angry emotion for?

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H
That your accident happened and was caused by an uninsured driver mate, bad enough even if they had of been insured

ahh okay buddy. Yes he wrecked 7 cars! Wrote off 3 or 4 of them too.

just been a disaster with it being over Christmas and my 4year old looking confused as to why Daddy had crutches (sticks as she called then lol)

Reactions: wes

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Same thing happened to me in the E39 when a tractor being driven by a 15 year old hit me head on. I used Crash and all was recovered from the MIB. This was 10ish years ago and I’d never heard of the MIB before, just assumed it would just have to be covered by my insurance and go down as a fault accident.

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H
Same thing happened to me in the E39 when a tractor being driven by a 15 year old hit me head on. I used Crash and all was recovered from the MIB. This was 10ish years ago and I’d never heard of the MIB before, just assumed it would just have to be covered by my insurance and go down as a fault accident.

this where I am lost if I can go through my company insurance - it happened in a company car on company time.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Then it should be well under the employers insurance too.

Even though it's a road accident...it's also an accident at work.