Motorbike CBT thread - Ask all related questions here

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
I have looked on here but come to no luck.

Im off next Thursday and Friday and have decided to get this CBT out of the way, can anybody recommend somewhere in Belfast/Lisburn area that can also hire a bike and do CBT?

SORRY for starting another thread about this extortionate bi@tch

clarkeg

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW S1000rr
Phillip mccallens in Lisburn does bike hire although I'm not sure if he offers the service that you are looking

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Heard goos things about those folks,

I has lessons with the people at Allens Honda, portadown,
If you dont mind travelling i'd highly recommend them. plus the examiners seem to be more kind there.

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
was talking to frank in rts bfast and he says theres less ppl going for lessons now cause of the cbt and when the new stuff comes out he can see it going tits up, so assuming that i would guess theres plenty of spaces etc close to now???

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
ooo dear u may get a move on.
well ok
16 year old
cbt test and 50cc will cover when 17 on 125
theory test
125 manoeuvres test
125cc on road test
250cc manoeuvres
250cc on road test
400cc manoeuvres
400cc on road
600 and over manoeuvres
600 and over on road test
or over 23 and you can do them all after each other what a load of ballox. to the best of my knowlage this is what is said to be on its way.. its the legal way of basicaly getting rid of motorcyclists ffs

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
I've heard there's to be big changes in October, then January, then again later next year. Sounded something similar to what you were saying dross, so I'm going to get it over and done with now.

I'm going to ring Rts in the morning. Don't suppose anybody knows a rough price for it? Which centre is better to do the bike test at? My brother in law done his in Ballymena because he heard it was the best for bikes, but that was 10+ years ago, but my brother who done it at the same time done his in Lisburn because he heard it was better? Both passed first time though.

I know Boucher test routes pretty well as I've done my class 2&1 there, but then again any spoon can drive around Lisburn.lol

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Holy flip dross! It seems a bit odd to do it by age :confounded: If they did it by 1st year experience 125, after 2/3 years 250, 4/5 years 400 and so on, i could understand that a bit more even if i didnt agree with it, but having it by age is a bit mental given there's as many headers over 23 who could just jump on a 600/800/1000 and go buck daft in their first year compared to someone younger on a 250 with more experience :confounded:

In GB is it not set that way about having to do tests for each CC one after the other or was that just talk about introducing it? I know you can do the direct access course to ride anything too.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Was talking to RTS, £195 and takes 12 hours, 3 in the classroom and then the rest in 1 or 2 hour sessions in the evening. But the evening sessions don't suit me at all. So can anybody recommend anybody else? Preferably who does it in 1 session

ST Kyle

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335i
Heard goos things about those folks,

I has lessons with the people at Allens Honda, portadown,
If you dont mind travelling i'd highly recommend them. plus the examiners seem to be more kind there.
You got a number for them?

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
A fella Mike Bambrick does cbt courses out of Allens Honda,

You can get him on 07871754025 just got the number from Allens Honda
I'm going to ring him now too

EDIT: got talking to him there, sounds like a decent chap, at a good price and can do it in 1 session, so I'm booked in next week :grinning:

MrDave

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E39
Is the CBT the same as the English one? If so I have that done and it was a great wee day.

I didn't know they were introducing the ability to do direct access over here though? If that is right it makes it handier actually! (unless you are still restricted to 33bhp for two years)

The off road test is a mess, but I see the sense in it, though when I was going to do it the speeds required were in kph?! It also makes the road test a lot easier as they dont do manouveres on it like parking and so on, I honestly think the two test system makes sense, and even the CBT is a good idea for those with scooters and no intention of big bikes as it covers stuff like why to wear sensible clothing and general safety things that a driver takes for granted but someone who has never been on the road might be ignorant of.

Yes its more money and more of a hassle but I can see it being really good with a bit of tweaking (ie the off road test needs to be more sensible)

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
A fella Mike Bambrick does cbt courses out of Allens Honda,

You can get him on 07871754025 just got the number from Allens Honda
I'm going to ring him now too

EDIT: got talking to him there, sounds like a decent chap, at a good price and can do it in 1 session, so I'm booked in next week :grinning:

Thats him, did the CBT with him a few weeks ago, back for more lessons next week too.

Although I'm that impatient I think I might buy myself a bandit to have waiting for me passing the test lol

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Is it feasible for a complete novice to get the CBT done in the first go? How much are we talking roughly?

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Mike Bambrick is £170 for the CBT course kerzo. It's not a test, it's sort of a course to get your "L" plates to ride a scooter. From what I hear the only way to "fail" it is by falling off.lol. The man from RTS I was talking to said it just pretty much your first 6/7 lessons on a bike and you should only need a few lessons after your CBT to get your test

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
When i did my bike test there was a group in with Mike doing the CBT, they were running through the check list as quick as possible,
The instructors are smart enough to know who needs to be taught on the bikes and who can drive, who's are just there to get it out of the way.

Plus theres a good bit of craic with Mikes group

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
thats the new thing u have to start on a 125 and work your way up
if your 23 you can do them all straight after each other, if you are 17 you have to wait till your 19 to do the next class up and so on