motorbike garage needed

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Where abouts are you?

Last edited:

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
SM Motorcycles in Newtownards

Steve offers a collection and delivery service of bike also 07813160447 02891814394

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Not be easier to ride to the garage and have it done?
Brian and mototech is outside moira

Last edited:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Why would you not do it yourself?

It's not very hard!

In fact getting the fairing off might be the hardest part of the job if it needs to come off to get the front sprocket on.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Well you need a paddock stand to oil or clean the chain properly anyway so get one bought.

As above, a replacement chain should have a split link with it and you can buy the chain in any pre made length from Renthal so to get the old chain off a grinder will do!

The front sprocket nut might be very tight so you might need an impact gun or a mate on the back brake.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Undo the front sprocket before you take chain off.

I've seen some amount of idiots trying to jam a screwdriver into sprocket or trying to grip the sprocket with pliers after cutting the chain off first.

A small bearing puller/sprocket puller might be needed to remove the front sprocket if it's been on for a while too, just so you're prepared. I would also recommend spraying a drop of WD40 or similar on to the shaft the day before you remove it so it has time to soak in. That said, it could just as easily come off in your hand when you have the bolt out of it...

Bouncy

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio
I have a paddock stand here u could have a lend of it im in dunmurry near sure i have a chain riviter here

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
Picked up a paddock stand today. Think I'm gunna give it a bash this week when I get my tools back. Let's hope the front sprocket nut comes off easily!!
Cheers fellas!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Picked up a paddock stand today. Think I'm gunna give it a bash this week when I get my tools back. Let's hope the front sprocket nut comes off easily!!
Cheers fellas!

Wee hint if you're tackling it alone;

Bike in the paddock stand, leave the old chain on, put the bike in gear, stand on the right hand side of the bike so that you can press the rear brake lever with decent pressure and reach over the top of the bike and slacken the bolt with a 6 sided socket and a decent length of a pull bar/breaker bar.

12 sided sockets don't get an adequate grip and if it's slips and rounds the bolt, they're a bastid to remove.

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
Wee hint if you're tackling it alone;

Bike in the paddock stand, leave the old chain on, put the bike in gear, stand on the right hand side of the bike so that you can press the rear brake lever with decent pressure and reach over the top of the bike and slacken the bolt with a 6 sided socket and a decent length of a pull bar/breaker bar.

12 sided sockets don't get an adequate grip and if it's slips and rounds the bolt, they're a bastid to remove.

Cheers pal. I'll get the wife to stand on the brake so I can get more leverage with breaker bar!

J_Mc_G

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza STi / ZX
Park it tight against a wall, in gear on the sidestand. No need to put brakes on or bother the wife, unless she likes that kind of thing!:grinning:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Cheers pal. I'll get the wife to stand on the brake so I can get more leverage with breaker bar!

From lying over the bike, you'll be pulling upwards on the bar and have more than enough leverage. If you need any more force than that, I'd be worried about shearing the bolt...

Tapping the bolt with a hammer and punch a couple of times to shock it wouldn't go a miss either, but go easy. It shouldn't take much...

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
Right some updates. I'm still waiting on a chain in the post so thought I'd get a jump on it and take the sprockets off so I can just fit as soon as the chain arrives. Now iv managed to get the drive sprocket bolt off as was only on a tad more than hand tight which was a bit dodgy. Anyway the chain has a split link.

Now iv got the clip off the link easily enough but now I can't pull the link out. I don't want to cut the chain as I want to keep it. Any ideas what's going on here?
Cheers B

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
The link will come out, try levering it out with a small flat screwdriver or pressing it out with pliers. Its probably just rusted in or has a step in it from wear.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.