Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Just go straight for the 600 CBT, same cost as the 125, same amount of tests but at the end you can ride any bike unrestricted.

PoddyM

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Just go straight for the 600 CBT, same cost as the 125, same amount of tests but at the end you can ride any bike unrestricted.

I can't see any info on that on the nigov site, do you not have to do the theory test along with that other test to ride the higher powered bikes?

PoddyM

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
So am I right in saying i'd just have to do a theory test and the A2 cbt and then I could ride any size of bike after that?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
So am I right in saying i'd just have to do a theory test and the A2 cbt and then I could ride any size of bike after that?
Category A is what you want, its for the bigger bikes and will allow you to ride anything :grinning: A2 is more 400cc - 600cc range. Depends what you're looking for i suppose, but if you get A out of the way you never have to worry again :grinning:

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
yip, category A is for 600cc+

basic theory, cbt on 600cc, off road on 600cc, on road practical on 600cc = ride anything unrestricted, like me from yesterday :grinning: lol

suppose first bike is up to you... my instructors new yamaha 600cc (not sure on model) was very comfortable but i bought an R6, which alot seem to not recommend, but if your sensible and not using it every day like me then you should be fine lol

great feeling once you pass, get it sorted asap and goodluck (y)

Joe

PoddyM

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
yip, category A is for 600cc+

basic theory, cbt on 600cc, off road on 600cc, on road practical on 600cc = ride anything unrestricted, like me from yesterday :grinning: lol

suppose first bike is up to you... my instructors new yamaha 600cc (not sure on model) was very comfortable but i bought an R6, which alot seem to not recommend, but if your sensible and not using it every day like me then you should be fine lol

great feeling once you pass, get it sorted asap and goodluck (y)

Joe

Thanks the info on the site isn't very clear at all, there are that many different types of test its hard to know which one your supposed to do.
If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you in total to do all those tests then?

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
You need to speak to an instructor, thats the only way I got clear answers, its sooo complicated.

Thats my 600 CBT done now though, was some difference compared to my 125, now more lessons, theory, more lessons, off road, more lessons, on road....

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
CC and power output :grinning:

Only for an A1 license which is up to 11kw or 125cc (why would you bother!?)

Category A2 license is:
- an engine power output up to 35kW
- a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW/kg - the motorcycle must not be derived from a machine of more than double its power

Category A license is above 35kw

Curt

RMS Regular
Drives
B5.5
Hey anyone know timescales of direct access test booking, now days?

I mean, if I book one now, will it be months down the line or are they quick at giving dates?

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
Roughly a month waiting time with summer time upon us getting anything done could be abit of extra wait though.
Is it your on road or off road test? have you done cbt and theory? has your instructor advised you to book?
no point booking a test and then trying to rush evrything else.

Curt

RMS Regular
Drives
B5.5
Roughly a month waiting time with summer time upon us getting anything done could be abit of extra wait though.
Is it your on road or off road test? have you done cbt and theory? has your instructor advised you to book?
no point booking a test and then trying to rush evrything else.

Thanks. Just looking a rough time scale, because I remember it used to be a very long wait.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
Ignore just found all the detail on the previous few pages! the NIDirect website is pish! thanks folks for all the info here.

Last edited:

daveyp

RMS Regular
I passed my motorbike test recently and have just sent away my pass cert and my licence to get motorbike added on. Anyone have any idea how long it takes them to process it and post it back?

J55NI

RMS Regular
I passed my motorbike test recently and have just sent away my pass cert and my licence to get motorbike added on. Anyone have any idea how long it takes them to process it and post it back?

normally 2-3 weeks from memory :grinning: Congrats on the test

Big Dogg

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla MY-LR
I just passed my mod 1 test today and hoping to get my mod 2 booked for a couple of weeks time. If anyone else is thinking of getting their bike license, I'd highly recommend Victor in Carrick. Great bloke, not hard to pay and certainly doesn't waste any time getting you to test standard!

Can't wait to get my mod 2 done and get my first 'big' bike!

Oh and I'll be selling a mint CBF125 with only 2k miles if anyone's interested.