Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

Vw86

RMS Regular
Whats the best way to get your license now. My bro in law is looking to get started from scratch. Gene has offered a good package for everything but i'm wondering would it work out any cheaper to book the lessons and tests individually? It did when i was learning but i'm not so sure these days.

Sorry if this has been asked before.... i did have a quick look but didn't see anything.

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
I got my full license last may starting from scratch. I did two lessons my instructor told me to book my CBT. Once i got that i did two more lessons and he told me to book my test. I dunno if that helps any thats how i done it and i had it all in like 3 months

Chris_Mc

RMS Regular
Drives
A4/Daytona 675
Whats the best way to get your license now. My bro in law is looking to get started from scratch. Gene has offered a good package for everything but i'm wondering would it work out any cheaper to book the lessons and tests individually? It did when i was learning but i'm not so sure these days.

I done mine on a direct access course, £500 give or take in most places for an unrestricted A class licence.

Basically gets you about 10 lessons starting on a 125 and moving up to a 600 (i managed to bypass the 400 somehow), CBT, 1 crack at your off road test and one crack at your road test. If you fail either on or off road tests you pay the test cost and bike hire again yourself and you've to get the theory yourself too.

Worth it in my opinion, time frame depends on your own availability and trying to get dates for the tests as they're busy around this time of year

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
passed my mod2 on friday past. Is there a cost to add the categories on? I got my licence in 2004, the DVA website is utter pish

Chris_Mc

RMS Regular
Drives
A4/Daytona 675
passed my mod2 on friday past. Is there a cost to add the categories on? I got my licence in 2004, the DVA website is utter pish

I'm pretty sure there's no cost for you, though it should say on the back of your pass certificate

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Is direct access still available? Who is recommended in the coleraine area for bike tests?

Arnie

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic
1st bike advice folks.

Got my licence back in 2012 but only now have the financial means to buy a bike. The bike will pretty much be used just for driving around 18 mile a day to work and back and the odd poke at the weekends.

I am planning to go to the Charles Hurst guys on boucher to have a nosey, but wanted to see the opinions on here.
I'm quite taken by the Honda CBR 300R. All the reviews I read suggest its a goodbeginner bike thats cheap enough to buy. Considering its been 4 odd years since I even sat on one I think this would do me well for the first year or two to build up experience and no claims.

Do you guys think its a good bike or would I be better saving over xmas and buying something around 600CC?

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
id buy something second hand in case your drop it etc. and i think you would get bored of the 300cc bike fairly quickly.

AC

RMS Regular
I second the above, you'd get bored and want more power. 600cc would be ideal.

Arnie

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic
Had a drive at the Yamaha dealers on one of their used MT-07's. Fell in love and deposit has been put down. Hopefully will be out riding on Monday. Thansk for all the advice folks (y)

RevT

RMS Regular
What's the process of getting the bike test now? Comtemplating it at the minute.

Theory, CBT, lessons then test?

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
3DLD-licence-categories.jpg

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
Had a drive at the Yamaha dealers on one of their used MT-07's. Fell in love and deposit has been put down. Hopefully will be out riding on Monday. Thansk for all the advice folks (y)
The white one by any chance?

EDIT : just seen in the post your bike thread it is. I went over to see that for a first bike for my self but was sold

AndyG

RMS Regular
Have my theory Ina couple of weeks and looking to get direct acces tonget the bike I want.

Anyone done it recently and know the best way to go about it? How many lessons did you need?

Saw Ian's in ards do a couple of deals on it and pretty sure they hire you the bike aswell

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Best to price around for a block of lessons, depends literally how quick a learner you are.

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
Have my theory Ina couple of weeks and looking to get direct acces tonget the bike I want.

Anyone done it recently and know the best way to go about it? How many lessons did you need?

Saw Ian's in ards do a couple of deals on it and pretty sure they hire you the bike aswell

I done 2 lessons and then my CBT and my instructor told me to book my test took another lesson just in-between the off road and on road test. Lesson were really just to learn the bike related stuff

AC

RMS Regular

Go and see Gene, he'll get you through it - 07821 420100. He will provide everything you need and offers a direct access package.

AndyG

RMS Regular
Go and see Gene, he'll get you through it - 07821 420100. He will provide everything you need and offers a direct access package.
Does he supply a bike and all too?

Going to order a new helmet etc but not looking to buy a bike until the new year. Just want the tests sorted out asap

Haven't much experience other than my motocross bike so maybe take me a few lessons

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
Passed my direct access about 6 weeks ago, as said above, how many lessons you'll need really depends on your current ability and how quickly you learn. I'd never ridden a bike previously, hell I didn't even know the layout of the controls on a bike and it took me 17 hours to do the whole thing including the CBT. I paid £25 per lesson (1 hour) and everything needed was supplied. Could've done it in less if I'd booked an intensive course and cracked it in 2 days but I was in no rush and actually really enjoyed the lessons.

Last edited:

AC

RMS Regular
Does he supply a bike and all too?

Going to order a new helmet etc but not looking to buy a bike until the new year. Just want the tests sorted out asap

Haven't much experience other than my motocross bike so maybe take me a few lessons

He has a 125 and a few 600cc Suzuki Gladius's that he uses and can supply all the gear. I had 0 experience when I started other than using an old monkey bike in a field as a kid and Gene was excellent, couldn't recommend him enough. He does an all inclusive price for direct access which includes your CBT and use of the bikes for the tests.

Good luck with the lessons!

Big Dogg

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla MY-LR
I done my lessons with Victor Rodgers (Ride Safe) in Carrick. Would highly recommend him. I done 3 lessons before my off road test (these lessons were part of my CBT) and 3 lessons before my on road test and got them both first time.

AndyG

RMS Regular
He has a 125 and a few 600cc Suzuki Gladius's that he uses and can supply all the gear. I had 0 experience when I started other than using an old monkey bike in a field as a kid and Gene was excellent, couldn't recommend him enough. He does an all inclusive price for direct access which includes your CBT and use of the bikes for the tests.

Good luck with the lessons!
Cheers!

He's going to give me a call today hopefully.. hopefully not be too long until I'm on the road!