Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Good work mate such a relief eh?

Totally. I did mine in craigavon and had the same examiner for off road and on road test. He was strict for the off road but for the on road was spot on. Radios aren't the best so I have feeling you get a bit of leniency coming up to junctions if you havnt been able to make out where you are going and you are tapping the side of your helmet furiously lol.

It's funny how the nerves leave as soon as you are out of the test centre. I did mine at 0950 so there was not much traffic, got out of most give ways without stopping etc.

Single bit of advice I'd give to anyone who has it coming up is to make progress on the road. If you come into a national speed limit then do it and don't be shy about getting there.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Single bit of advice I'd give to anyone who has it coming up is to make progress on the road. If you come into a national speed limit then do it and don't be shy about getting there.
This is true post test as well, particularly exiting junctions.. Don't fvck about, get up the box and away

Lee

RMS Regular
Totally. I did mine in craigavon and had the same examiner for off road and on road test. He was strict for the off road but for the on road was spot on. Radios aren't the best so I have feeling you get a bit of leniency coming up to junctions if you havnt been able to make out where you are going and you are tapping the side of your helmet furiously lol.

It's funny how the nerves leave as soon as you are out of the test centre. I did mine at 0950 so there was not much traffic, got out of most give ways without stopping etc.

Same! As soon as I started the bike I was in the zone lol. For each one of the 3 tests I just took the whole day off work to be relaxed and well slept to ensure a good stab at it as I didn't want to be waiting ages for retests. But I'd agree its definately not half as bad as you'd think, I'm pretty sure my tester wasn't out hoping to fail people.

We got back to the test centre and went into the office... he was waffling away at small talk, I was like "here, whats the story" he says oh yes you've passed... phew lol

I have to say though I enjoyed the whole process of learning from start to finish, just as is with anything, the waiting is the killer!

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Anyone done this through Ians ? Am i reading this wrong or is this everything you need in one package? Seems cheap
Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 15.38.56.png

Wheelchair

RMS Regular
Drives
Anyone done this through Ians ? Am i reading this wrong or is this everything you need in one package? Seems cheap View attachment 231618

I did this exact thing with Ians. I chose the Experienced package, even though I'd never sat on a motorbike before, and added maybe an extra 2-3 lessons to get me up to test standard. Would definitely recommend it!

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
I did this exact thing with Ians. I chose the Experienced package, even though I'd never sat on a motorbike before, and added maybe an extra 2-3 lessons to get me up to test standard. Would definitely recommend it!
And it does include everything you need to get you on the road? I'd be looking to do the experience package just with riding bikes as a kid etc. Seems great value for money

AndyG

RMS Regular
Youd maybe just need to add on your theory test to it but I'm pretty sure that's all in. Mine was a similar price with gene waterworth. Would highly recommend him

Wheelchair

RMS Regular
Drives
And it does include everything you need to get you on the road? I'd be looking to do the experience package just with riding bikes as a kid etc. Seems great value for money

Yeah, includes everything but the Theory test. I’d recommend having that at least booked before booking one of their packages.

SamB97

RMS Member
Drives
MK5 Jetta
Been thinking of starting lessons soon. Is there any point before you turn 24 as you can’t do direct access?

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
Direct access is just the quickest handiest and definitely the cheapest way to do it, I’m guessing you’re 22 years old or thereabouts from your username in which case I’d advise you to hold out another couple of years as you’ve already waited this long. You should be thinking about getting the ball rolling in advance by having the theory test and CBT passed before your 24th birthday, get all your gear (helmet boots gloves leathers ect) bought too as this can be more expensive than many people expect and can easily add up to more than a decent second hand bike. I’d be aiming to be able to book the direct access tests on or shortly after your 24th birthday, it’ll be the best birthday present you’ll ever give yourself!

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Been thinking of starting lessons soon. Is there any point before you turn 24 as you can’t do direct access?

Good thing about waiting till you're 24 is you're not a youngun as such and have a slightly more sensible head on your shoulder.

I contemplated my bike test prior to the rules being changed to allow direct access, it was restricted for 2 years then full access from any age, I'm glad I waited to I was 24 as I was a hallion in my youth (more of one I should probably say lol) and could well have done something very stupid.

In saying that not every one is the same.

Direct access is just the quickest handiest and definitely the cheapest way to do it, I’m guessing you’re 22 years old or thereabouts from your username in which case I’d advise you to hold out another couple of years as you’ve already waited this long. You should be thinking about getting the ball rolling in advance by having the theory test and CBT passed before your 24th birthday, get all your gear (helmet boots gloves leathers ect) bought too as this can be more expensive than many people expect and can easily add up to more than a decent second hand bike. I’d be aiming to be able to book the direct access tests on or shortly after your 24th birthday, it’ll be the best birthday present you’ll ever give yourself!

I may be wrong, but I think you have to wait until you're 24 to get the CBT for the full bike? I don't think one CBT covers all classes. Theory may or may not be the same. But yes if possible to do all pre 24th then absolutely this would be the best route!

SamB97

RMS Member
Drives
MK5 Jetta
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, turn 22 in a few months! Going to wait it out. Then I’ll treat myself on my 24th lol.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Very true and if you plan to take further training (highly recommended) like IAM, RoSPA etc. this is very much the forefront of teaching and what examiners (usually ex police) want to see. there is no reason why you cannot make great progress in a controlled and safe manner. labouring on decisions etc cause more problems when on a bike

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Very true and if you plan to take further training (highly recommended) like IAM, RoSPA etc. this is very much the forefront of teaching and what examiners (usually ex police) want to see. there is no reason why you cannot make great progress in a controlled and safe manner. labouring on decisions etc cause more problems when on a bike
While I agree totally, it should be pointed out to do absolutely nothing "advanced" on your mod2, ride as taught..

JonnyB23

RMS Regular
Folks, thinking about pulling the trigger and booking my theory in the next week or so and then get sorted with lessons and CBT. Anyone have any recommendations for instructors based in Antrim? Am 28 so assume I'm fine to go through Direct Access, the gov.uk website is like reading a different language!

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Stephen Mills - Moto Training NI. I met him via advanced stuff but he's got diplomas coming out of his ears

Straight through DA

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Is RST my only real option for lisburn? Quoted 495 plus test fees.

Wow, seems dear. All in I was under £450, all lessons and tests. I went with A+ Motoring Lisburn, based out of McCallens. Contact Roly 07803600556. Or message on Facebook.