Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Well ive taken the notion now for a bike...

Considering going to buy an RS125 as my 1st bike, i used to race motox when i was younger but havent been on a bike now for 5+yrs...

Im fairly handy so a 2stroke doesnt scare me, and ive always had 2stroke motox bikes.

Ive got an insurance quote of £188 for the next year to drive it on my Car license, intending to do the test over the summer now... have some smart enought to ride, get a year NCB and then step up onto a 600 for next summer...

Is an RS125 a good starter bike for me?

Anything i need to look for in them? how often do they need pistons/rings?

Any hints/tips? is this the best way to get myself onto a road bike? and start to learn the roads on one?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
R125 is a lovely wee bike, i dont know much about them? they are a 4stroke arent they, lovely looking but would be worried that they would be completely dead..

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
Personally, I would do the test now and buy a decent 600.

I done the test in about a month and a half and bought a 600RR for my first bike.

It's a far better route than going out and spending money on a 125, it will be dead to the world!

Use your instructors 125 for the lessons / test!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
yeah i know what you are saying, but i think i would be happier myself having something small to ride this summer to see how i like it..

your 600RR, what kind of age are you? how much was your insurance for your 1st year?

Im 26... no previous bike insurance/ NCB.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
As mentioned you could buy a 600cc and get it restricted to the 25Kw

My personal experience with Aprilia has put me off them for life.

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
I'm 23, I was 22 when I bought / insured the RR.

Trust me, you will be bored in about 5mins on a 125, really not worth it at all..

Insurance was less than a grand for my first year, but that drops considerably for your
2nd year. I also insured it the day after I passed my test which also made it expensive lol

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
My personal experience with Aprilia has put me off them for life.

What was your experience?

Well im not really prepared to pour 5k (including insurance) into a 600 just to test the water to see if id like to own a bike or not tbh.

I'd like something to cheaper beat about on, it prob wont get used that much, if i like it then i may buy a 600 after one year, which would then make more sense, less of an outlay on insurance etc.

Why do you think i would get so bored on a 125 as a 1st bike? surely realistically i will only have my test in 2months, then august/ sept. will come and the bike will be into hibernation for the winter?

Run the insurance on for the year, build up 1yrs NCB and then buy a 3-4k 600 and the insurance should be around £500 then? no R-plates etc.?

endofreak

RMS Regular
Drives
Triumph Speed Tr
Have to agree with everyone else. Would'nt bother with a 125 personally. RS125's are cool wee bikes but I doupt you would be able to do your test on it. You'd be allowed but the figure of 8 and U turn would be extremely difficult with it's lack of steering lock.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Worked as a bike mechanic for a yr and amount of rs125s I seen blown up put me off for life.

I'd a 600rr and it was 35 a month with 0ncb @ 23yrs old.

Now I'm 26 0ncb with 3 points on a cbr600 and it's 12.50 a month :grinning:

Yam r125 is dead as Hector Honda cb125 is middle ground between r125 and rs125

therock

RMS Regular
Lorenzo - I passed my test in November there and got a zx6r in January, didnt go the 125 route. My insurance is about £50 a month, PAYG

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
If you used to play on RS125's then dont touch a 4T.

If youre happy enough rebuilding an RS up every year then go for it.. its not like its a massive process, just keep on top of maintenance (y)

Personally id recommend going full tilt and getting a real bike ;) Youll not regret it. Just think of having the performance of the megablade on a daily basis.. (y)

endofreak

RMS Regular
Drives
Triumph Speed Tr
Well im not really prepared to pour 5k (including insurance) into a 600 just to test the water to see if id like to own a bike or not tbh.

My first bike was a 600 Bandit which cost me £1000 and around £500 to insure. I'd be surprised if you'd get a good RS125 for that kind of money.

AKA STEVIE

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic TypeS CBR6
I did the bike test when i was 19 and got a 600RR as my first when i was 21. So i wouldn't worry about thinking it's too big. You would really regret getting a 125.

A compromise of something in between the two would be a Suzuki DRZ 400. A FMF pipe sounds well on them. My mate traded his in for a 600 Gixxer and said he had more fun on the DRZ.

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
Rs 125 is a no brainer if your learning. Quick, with unreal handling and sound the best with a pipe. Reliability isn't bad at all. If you have basic mechanical knowledge then they are easy kept going. Even changing piston and barrel isn't an expert job. 4 stroke will bore you in no time, only really useful if it's your first time throwing your leg over a bike I guess.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
You will be fed up with the 125 after a week. Get a nice sensible sports-tourer like a cbr600f - great for a first bike. Sporty enough to be fun, but also comfortable and good for covering miles. Im planning on doing my test this summer aswell and thats what ill be after.

PhilG

RMS Regular
I had a 2010 Ninja 250 as my first bike, loved her. She was nice an slim for the traffic jams but still went pretty well. I had it around 5 months but never really grew bored of it as i expected i would. Next bike will be 600cc +

my wee ninja soon after i bought her, and after a respray in r35 skyline ivory pearl:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 401
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 411
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 386

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Being honest here I would say I had more fun on my 125s than I do on the Hornet. Yes, the Hornet is comfortable for commuting and goes from 0 to 'Good morning your honour' in 5 seconds, but its not exciting.
Nothing I loved better than ringing the neck off the 125s up country roads, bouncing them up verges and sliding all over the road lol. Not fast at all, but highly entertaining (y)
If you keep on top of maintenance the RS's are an awesome bike and you may as well enjoy the ring a ding dings and piston rings before the EU ban strokers altogether!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Well my main reason for the 125 would be to get out and about on 2wheels...

My uncle was killed a few years ago on his bike and my aul doll will flip, if I bring home a 600 straight off! And she is well enough clued up to know the size of a bike..

I think a 125 will test the water about home, run me around for the summer, get me through the test and get me a years ncb..

I totally agree with what you are all saying but £1500 would buy and insure a 125 and I can ride it right away now :grinning:

Even then I wouldn't loose much on it and I've done pistons and rings on 2strokes before so it doesn't scare me...

What about something like this? Is there a Parkers guide for bikes?

Mint RS 125 APRILLA 2008 Motorbikes & Scooters for Sale Derry Belfast

Or this prefacelift?

http://www.usedcarsni.com/71954849

Any comments?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I had a 2010 Ninja 250 as my first bike, loved her. She was nice an slim for the traffic jams but still went pretty well. I had it around 5 months but never really grew bored of it as i expected i would. Next bike will be 600cc +

my wee ninja soon after i bought her, and after a respray in r35 skyline ivory pearl:

That's nice dude, ninja 250 a 2stroke or 4?

Ma55ey

RMS Regular
Do ur test and get a vfr 400,great wee learning bike!! As said above,a 125 will bore the tits out of u after a few days.

Jackotdi

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
Id def say just do your full test,i was at first going to settle with a RS125 then decided to do the full test,started lessons 6 weeks ago and passed last week and now have an 08 kawasaki Z750,couldnt deal with a 125 now lol Insurance is only £320 TPFT,me being 24 and 3 years no claims on the car.

longchamps

RMS Regular
Drives
mx5 rs
ive got a yzf r125 ive had it a few months its my first bike.great fuel economy and good fun it gets me out there!