Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Well done, certainly big changes to the test format for motorcycles!
Happy and safe motorcycling

I highly recommend you to consider advanced riding - IAM or RoSPA going forward to help build aid your skills!
Definitely IAM👌
Just noticed this from a while back...I generally agree about the boots but be careful with any boots that have laces that you tuck the knot loops well out of the way, into the tongue or wherever. Not funny if the laces get caught on the footpeg just as you're about to stop and put your foot down.
Good point, Ive got my lace up cycling shoes caught too 😠

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
I've been looking at the Kawasaki Z1000SX and am going to go and look at and hopefully test them. A couple of mates have them and have advised they are a pretty much do it all bike and should tick the boxes for me. I am a bit concerned moving up from a 600 to one of these as a first bike. Has anyone any thoughts on these or alternatives?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I've been looking at the Kawasaki Z1000SX and am going to go and look at and hopefully test them. A couple of mates have them and have advised they are a pretty much do it all bike and should tick the boxes for me. I am a bit concerned moving up from a 600 to one of these as a first bike. Has anyone any thoughts on these or alternatives?

I was straight on to an R1150GS which is probably 1 of the tallest and heaviest bikes about. It’s ridiculously comfortable and I’d recommend it to anyone, though an adventure style bike doesn’t tickle everyone’s fancy, but sports bikes and anything I have to lean over just doesn’t do it for me at all.

Go for a test ride on the Z1000 and see what you think of it. Make sure you’re able to sit comfortably with both feet on the ground and that you can be confident reaching the bars and controls without straining, and that it’s not too big to handle manually around a garage or car park. I’d recommend riding a few different styles of bikes and getting a feel for each though before committing to buy 1...

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
Thanks Nicky (y), I am in the middle of gathering up some gear now and will get out and test some bikes soon. I bought myself an Arai QV there in Infinity at the weekend so that's a lid sorted.
Was also looking at the nice red GSX-1000 that Hursts have in the showroom but it puts me off that it's not really going to be any use for touring without the option of the panniers but I will get out on a couple to see what feels good.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Thanks Nicky (y), I am in the middle of gathering up some gear now and will get out and test some bikes soon. I bought myself an Arai QV there in Infinity at the weekend so that's a lid sorted.
Was also looking at the nice red GSX-1000 that Hursts have in the showroom but it puts me off that it's not really going to be any use for touring without the option of the panniers but I will get out on a couple to see what feels good.

You’d be better off buying a £1000-1500 bike to see if you’re going to enjoy it and make the time for it as opposed to being committed to a much more expensive bike and not enjoying it or being afraid of marking it/using it IMO. A bike at £1000 with do everything a bike at £7/8k will do, and you’ll not need to be just so precious about it until you get into the way of things as a novice rider.

Lee

RMS Regular

One of the fellas I be out with the odd time has this z1000sx. He likes it the best, I'm sure they're a good bike. If you're not a hallion I'm sure there's no harm in going for a big bike.

20191118_204659.jpg

I started out last year on a Street Triple 675 and still have it. I do have the itch to try another bike but will be keeping the Triumph either way.

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
That looks a nice example there. I am committed to having a bike long term, this has been the plan for a while and circumstances all fell into place for me this year where I had the time and money to get the test out of the way and the money for a good bike which is why I've been looking at these. Whatever I buy will be my bike for the foreseeable future so I'm willing to invest a bit more rather than buy a cheaper bike, although that does make sense. My mate has one and his brother has an MT10 so they are saying to go for the bigger bike and learn as I go along as they both outgrew other bikes very quickly, I am a hallion however I have just enough wit to know to ride within my limits until I have more experience and more importantly confidence so I think this is the best option but it's good getting advice from you guys.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

RMS Regular
@aaron_dp glad to hear all fell into place. I know some people who done the test and have barely done 100 miles since. Or in my case I never threw my leg over a bike until last year at age 27 and wish I'd done it years ago. I was lucky to fall in with a group of guys that showed me how to keep the pace up but not take silly chances.

Keep us posted with what you try or buy. Those MT10s are animals. But a lot different to the likes of a z1000sx with the fairings and riding postion. We're spoilt for choice in bikes these days although they're getting dearer all the time

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
Fair play Lee, I like hearing people's stories as to how they got into bikes. I grew up at road racing and short circuits so always had that link then had a few scramblers but got driving and getting my licence kinda fell by the wayside until now.

I'll get out and test some stuff before I make any decisions but I'll be back to you guys for more advice I'm sure!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Those Z1000sx are one of the best sellers in the last few years and they do seem like a great bike as an all rounder; almost like the new equivalent of a VFR750/800.
I haven't ridden one but I hear they have a good spread of power and easy throttle control so are easy to ride. Guessing they have reduced power modes too, not sure?

One thing I did notice about them is when fitted with the Kawa panniers they seem very, very wide which might be tricky for traffic.

Personally I'd be trying a Yamaha Tracer 900, but if want something more "sports touring " the Z1000 would have it all.

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
Not sure about the original models but as far as I know the more recent ones have different power modes so that would suit me until I grow a bit in confidence & ability. Yeah they do look quite wide with the boxes on, I don't feel confident enough filtering yet and if I do go touring I'll have the mrs with me so we'll not be in a rush anywhere, hopefully convince her to come along to some races or further afield.

rollinstone

RMS Regular
Drives
Old man car
The multistrada has an urban mode which reduces the power output and throttle response, have used it for a total of 3 minutes lol, your best riding mode is your right hand!! Just take your time selecting the bike and do test rides, I made that mistake and changed within a year!

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
Yeah that's something that worries me as I don't have the experience so yes I might like it for a short test run or whatever but might not gel with it long term although I am pretty adaptable so will get used to it as time goes on

Faaast

RMS Regular

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
I was chatting to the dealers and I have looked at a hundred of these and I know I'll not get a cleaner one so I just said f*ck it, YOLO and all that lol.

I definitely plan to ride all year round so now it'll be about learning the bike and getting more experience.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Nice bike for beginning your riding!!
At the end of the day it all comes down to your mentality and right wrist movement.

best of luck out there and remember about taking on advanced riding course - totally worth it

👍👍🤘

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
At the end of the day it all comes down to your mentality and right wrist movement.

best of luck out there and remember about taking on advanced riding course - totally worth it

👍👍🤘

Thanks nobby, IAM is definitely on the agenda in the new year. I think there is a group based in Lisburn so I'll hook up with them when I can.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often

👍👍🤘
Still can't agree enough. Ride to the course, get a pass then pi55 off away from the GS adventure Hi-viz loons*.

*They're not all like this

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
i dislike em with a passion ... i think the Tiger/Explorer and Honda Crosstourer do it better especially when used more on the road. i dont do off roading so my opinion is biased.

the iam'ers are hilarious re their bike buying options - it appears they dont seem to know that other makes and models of bike exist. Certainly not a route i will ever go down