Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
i dislike em with a passion ... i think the Tiger/Explorer and Honda Crosstourer do it better especially when used more on the road. i dont do off roading so my opinion is biased.

the iam'ers are hilarious re their bike buying options - it appears they dont seem to know that other makes and models of bike exist. Certainly not a route i will ever go down
They're a strange bunch. Glad I got a pass and will maintain membership(halfed my insurance!) But it was a giant fun sponge for a couple months, usefull all the same.

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Didn't see this @adam1942

Also passed my MOD1&2 just before Christmas. Got my licence a few days ago, great to see the A category filled now :cool:

I put a deposit down on the new Triumph Trident 660 back in November, hoping to get it late March. Can't wait!

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
I am looking a bit of advice/information if anyone knows the latest news on getting a bike licence.
What I can find online this looks to be the latest steps to get a licence below but there's a lot that vary.
CBT
MOD1
MOD2
Practical Test.
Is that the order in which they are done?

I had Scooters back in the day then a couple of motocross bikes so I wouldn't be starting from scratch, would like to get my test before end of the year but seems like a lot of hoops to jump through first.
Any help from someone that has recently passed their test would be great, cheers

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
Theory can be done in tandem with CBT I think that's what I did, did my Direct Access in October 2019. If you grew up on bikes then the control element will come back quite quickly, at least I found it did so you should be able to concentrate on the important stuff like your observation. I'm sure the lads here can recommend instructors but I used Paul Hunter based beside Anachem in Downpatrick, was good to get to know the local area to have a rough idea of test routes.

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Thanks @aaron_dp that sounds good doing them together! Id still ride off road the odd time so as you say the control/balance shouldnt be an issue id hope, its more having to do a "test" again is thr scary part lol..
Im around Belfast/Lisburn area so will look for some local training schools.

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
I'm in Lambeg but it wasn't too bad a run down to Paul's. Have heard there's a fella that works out of McCallens, I'm sure you'll get more recommendations here

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Theory Passed today 👍

So will ring A+ this week and get details on going down the DAS route.
Would like to get started ASAP but id say there could still be a backlog because COVID.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Ali and Rolo in A+ work out of Mccallen's, absolutely fantastic instructors. Would highly recommend them myself 👍
A lot of people recommend them to me too and I did use them however wouldn't recommend myself tbh. Bit disorganised overall and I had 3 different instructors across half a dozen lessons or less. Davy is a good lad though and would recommend him personally. Just not the organisation.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
A lot of people recommend them to me too and I did use them however wouldn't recommend myself tbh. Bit disorganised overall and I had 3 different instructors across half a dozen lessons or less. Davy is a good lad though and would recommend him personally. Just not the organisation.

Flip that's strange to hear, I think I did all mine with Ali then on road test day was with Rolo.

Might just have been hectic with so many people wanting tests and you got unlucky with scheduling.

Did you find the instruction was good, organisation aside?

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Flip that's strange to hear, I think I did all mine with Ali then on road test day was with Rolo.

Might just have been hectic with so many people wanting tests and you got unlucky with scheduling.

It certainly got notably more disjointed as the covid situation developed. The organisation of lessons etc. just seemed a bit hectic and the guy Davy that got me through ended up just sort of taking the lead because he knew I was fed up and he was brilliant. I'd just suggest to @domo gti to maybe see if you can stick with an instructor because otherwise they don't know where you are at let alone anyone else out with you which just slows progress.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S

I had three lessons and each was with a different instructor lol.

Ali took me through the CBT.
Rolo gave me a lesson on the off-road and took me and the bike to the test centre
Hugh gave me the pre on-road test lesson.

Got on well with each of them though so wasn't an issue. Was absolutely lashing rain for both my tests back in March 2018 so I'm not sure either Hugh or Rolo thought I would pass lol.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I had three lessons and each was with a different instructor lol.

Ali took me through the CBT.
Rolo gave me a lesson on the off-road and took me and the bike to the test centre
Hugh gave me the pre on-road test lesson.

Got on well with each of them though so wasn't an issue. Was absolutely lashing rain for both my tests back in March 2018 so I'm not sure either Hugh or Rolo thought I would pass lol.

I think it was wet the day I did my CBT 😂 will always remember going around Mccallen's on the 125 and the back end sliding out, didn't bin it which I was pleased with 😂

I think it was just Ali and Rolo at the time when I did mine, think that was 2014 though

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Rang the number posted on here for Roly at A+ and it rang off then got a text saying he would ring back. Tried him again and no answer so near two days and no contact at all.
Will maybe give the fella a shout that was suggested by @aaron_dp

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Just to update this, passed my Mod 2 yesterday morning so now just waiting for some dry weather which looks to be afew months away lol.
Going to send my licence away in the next few days, do i just send the Mod 1 & 2 certificates along with both parts of my driver licence to DVA Coleraine?

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Nice one, great feeling isn't it? I passed my MOD2 just over a year ago, time flies. Those nice spring days will be along soon enough.

The test centre sorted mine, took my licence and I got it in the post about a week later.

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Nice one, great feeling isn't it? I passed my MOD2 just over a year ago, time flies. Those nice spring days will be along soon enough.

The test centre sorted mine, took my licence and I got it in the post about a week later.
Its great to have done the test done as i decided afew months ago i wanted it by the end of the year!

Ended up sending off my licence myseld so hope to get it back soon if the holidays dont delay it too long!

Now its just a waiting game ffs, need some of that climate change dry weather to kick in so i can get out on the bike😂

Reactions: Lee

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Right lads - going to ask the question that's been asked 10 times I'm sure :-#

Who's recommended for lessons around Belfast - im in the city centre.

What's the general length of time to get the licence? 3/4 months?

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182

I’ll let someone else reccomend instructor but you’re probably not far off 3-4 months depending on how competent you are and what the test backlog is and you’ve the weather to contend with now too.

CBT takes a day and done with instructor.

Book your theory after (think you need the cbt to book it)

Do your lessons while you wait for your theory. Think I did bout 4 or 5 total.

After your theory you book your “off the road” test

Then “on the road test”

I’ll let someone else reccomend instructor but you’re probably not far off 3-4 months depending on how competent you are and what the test backlog is and you’ve the weather to contend with now too.

CBT takes a day and done with instructor.

Book your theory after (think you need the cbt to book it)

Do your lessons while you wait for your theory. Think I did bout 4 or 5 total.

After your theory you book your “off the road” test

Then “on the road test”

Reactions: WSK

amcm1

RMS Regular
Theory or CBT can be done first in any order. I done my theory a month ago and have my CBT booked for this Thursday.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I done my theory first, then rang an instructor and told him I wanted the licence within a month. 3 lessons, Mod 1, another 1 lesson and then Mod 2 and that was it done. The CBT was completed during the course of the lessons and not as a separate entity/money maker the way most instructors seem to operate.

If you are going on to do the full test, the CBT is just a box ticking exercise/formality to be completed prior to the test…

Big Dogg

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla MY-LR
My experience was very similar to Nicky. My instructor was Victor Rodgers out in Carrick. Would highly recommend him.

Reactions: WSK

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Cheers lads, very helpful.

Theory booked for next Monday - hopefully not be too hard to pass. Then il give Victor a shout, cant see many others close to me here.