Motorcycle tax cost - RANT

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Fookin 96 quid to tax the bike for 12 months.
I've 3 cars at the house that don't cost that to tax for a year.

Rant over.

It's disgusting. Was less than 80 when I started riding years ago iirc.

There's no way in hell a bike creates more emission than even the lowest of emission cars, especially given most are used in fair weather.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I don't own any cars that cost that little !

And do bikes have all the emissions bull**** cars do ?

How often a bike is used, doesn't matter in terms of what it outputs when being used. Which is all the silly rules are about.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Makes no sense at all.
And the cost of a young person getting a licence too, seems they are going out of their way to make them prohibitively expensive, yet they are one of best options for reducing city congestion.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I don't own any cars that cost that little !

And do bikes have all the emissions bull**** cars do ?

How often a bike is used, doesn't matter in terms of what it outputs when being used. Which is all the silly rules are about.

I know it isn't a factor in their eyes. But if you compare emissions from 10k on a bike to 10k in a car, the bike will win in a landslide due to cars having to sit idle for so long through traffic.

Bikes don't sit idle in one spot for long enough to justify such a figure. Especially if a 1.0 car engine can be 20-30-40 pounds a year

Most bikes I think come with catalysts. Not really clued in with super modern ones

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
My 2.0 tdi costs Ā£30 a year my 125 commuter back in late 2000s were Ā£12 I think. They did 100 or more mpg everywhere with the throttle pinned wide open šŸ¤£

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
When I first started riding a 125 could have been taxed for less than a tenner. Tax used to cost me more than the insurance for the 3 bikes.

• Wow
Reactions: PDK

redxl77

RMS Regular
For the enjoyment you get from the bike I don't think under Ā£100 (currently anyway) for tax is too bad an annual price to pay. As it stands you need to pay something and Ā£100 isn't too far from zero. Do that for 6 years and you've spent what some people need to spend on VED to run certain vehicles just for one year, whether they do 1000 miles or 10,000. That being another point about the system's flaws.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
On the cat thing, bikes have had them for years. I had a 2001 R1150GS with a cat.
I've heard emissions are not good compared to car but don't really know the details.
One thing I do know, I've never had a 4 cylinder bike, even just bimbling about, get more than low 50s mpg. With rider they are what, 1/3rd or 1/4 the weight of a small car that gets similar mpg.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Mine sticks out something like 117g co2/km which would be Ā£30(Band C) on the old banding system but thanks to engine capacity it's Ā£97 or something

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
It's not even about if they're 10x more harmful or not, look at London as an extreme example, cars will sit for HOURS to travel a few miles where a bike will filter through in a fraction.

I know a lot of bikes that've had cats in them too so the manufacturers are definitely trying to keep emissions to a minimum if possible.

I imagine the "harmful" aspect is in relation to a litre bike riding to redline at circa 16k rpm, which no doubt is harmful as fook.

It's just irritating that there are two categories, sub 600cc and 600cc plus, cars aren't classified this way so why should bikes be? Because it's easier for them to justify the extra

Lee

RMS Regular
I'm not totally clued up on bike emissions but I do know that every year or so, the emissions regulations for bikes change and the manufacturers have to keep up with that. Euro 4, Euro 5 etc. Having to make adjustments to engines to retain the power figures with lower emissions.

It's like everything else to be honest, just creeps up a few quid every year. It would sicken your shoite.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
My 2004 Fireblade without a full race system sets off the CO, CO2 detector in the garage within seconds whereas the wife's modern bike could sit idling for 10 minutes and it wouldn't activate it.

Begrudge the increase, but at the end of the day the bikes spend half the year sorned and Ā£10 a month isn't much to get out I suppose, but its now more than the insurance which is a annoying. I think my honda S2000 is nearly Ā£600 a year a to tax :sob:.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
My 2004 Fireblade without a full race system sets off the CO, CO2 detector in the garage within seconds whereas the wife's modern bike could sit idling for 10 minutes and it wouldn't activate it.

Begrudge the increase, but at the end of the day the bikes spend half the year sorned and Ā£10 a month isn't much to get out I suppose, but its now more than the insurance which is a annoying. I think my honda S2000 is nearly Ā£600 a year a to tax :sob:.
I very nearly CO poisoned myself changing a indicator bulb on my Varadero. Left it running as the battery was low with the exhaust in my face šŸ¤£ it had no cats or anything.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Always wondered how the boys who love to give their bikes a wee rev in the garage over winter ever survived :joy:

cupraricky

RMS Regular

Just outta curiosity does the blade pass mot? Or do ya change the exhaust?