Motorcycle trailer. Borrow or rent?

cupraricky

RMS Regular
So a mate of mine is looking his first bike. 600/650cc abs bike.

As per usual the amount in England is endless compared to here. Would anyone have a motorcycle trailer available to borrow for beer tokens or rent it out? Only needs to be a single bike trailer. Trying to see our options.

Thanks

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Another option is an ordinary trailer and a scaffold plank for a ramp. Far more plentiful and does the job fine.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
OP
cupraricky
Another option is an ordinary trailer and a scaffold plank for a ramp. Far more plentiful and does the job fine.

I have a wee 6x4 trailer but figured for long distances a proper trailer with proper tie down points etc would be more secure? No?

RoniN

RMS Regular
Would a van not be cheaper on the boat than a car and trailer ?

Cheers

cupraricky

RMS Regular
OP
cupraricky
Would a van not be cheaper on the boat than a car and trailer ?

Cheers
Not by the time you pay the rental on the van. Depending on ferry times and ports etc. But a quick look says a van is £10 cheaper then car and small trailer

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I have a wee 6x4 trailer but figured for long distances a proper trailer with proper tie down points etc would be more secure? No?
I've only ever used an ordinary trailer because I only pick up a bike maybe once every 2 years or so. Most have been big heavy bikes; R1150GS, Pan ST1300 and various middleweights. Distance doesn't matter if it's well strapped.. If it doesn't have tie down hooks (most do) you'll find somewhere down under the bottom edges, like a spring mount. A 6ft trailer will probably need the taildoor down or removed but that's ok if you have lights and plate on the sides. Most bikes will fit inside a 7ft or longer. EDIT. Forgot, most will fit in a 6ft if you angle it, turn the bars left, put on sidestand, in gear up against the front and ratchet it down, It sits solid as a rock.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Have you tried James at DMT bike transport? Unless it is far south he usually charges £250 for a collection. I have used him lots of times and would recommend him.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
OP
cupraricky
I've only ever used an ordinary trailer because I only pick up a bike maybe once every 2 years or so. Most have been big heavy bikes; R1150GS, Pan ST1300 and various middleweights. Distance doesn't matter if it's well strapped.. If it doesn't have tie down hooks (most do) you'll find somewhere down under the bottom edges, like a spring mount. A 6ft trailer will probably need the taildoor down or removed but that's ok if you have lights and plate on the sides. Most bikes will fit inside a 7ft or longer.
Yea back door can come off as lights are separate mounted. It's has tie down hooks.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
OP
cupraricky
Have you tried James at DMT bike transport? Unless it is far south he usually charges £250 for a collection. I have used him lots of times and would recommend him.

Yea. Mates been onto him. One bikes Cornwall. But its also nice to see what ur buying before it lands on your doorstep. Plus a road trip is always good steam

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Not by the time you pay the rental on the van. Depending on ferry times and ports etc. But a quick look says a van is £10 cheaper then car and small trailer

If you are going during the week, a car and trailer is usually the same price as a car anyway. Only seems to be weekends that they charge for a trailer.