Multi-car policies

RevT

RMS Regular
Riddle me this. I'm just off the phone with Admiral. I was flicking through my policy and noticed it was down as 'parked on the street'. I rang them up, explained that it's in a locked, alarmed garage and my policy went UP BY £37!

Something to do with fires etc and if something happened in the garage it'd cause higher value damage.

I always have mine parked on a driveway, seems to be the cheapest option.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayman S
Feckin' crooks. My premium went up from £280 to £785 automatically this year, by the time I remembered to ring them about it I was out of the cancellation period. Then they slap this £37 on top. She had the audacity to try and charge me £25 for editing the policy too...

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
I definately must ring Autoline tomorrow. Thats nice and cheap @Eager .

Feckin' crooks. My premium went up from £280 to £785 automatically this year, by the time I remembered to ring them about it I was out of the cancellation period. Then they slap this £37 on top. She had the audacity to try and charge me £25 for editing the policy too...

Frig thats some jump in price! What caused it to almost multiply by 3?? When you say cancellation period, had the policy already renewed or was it coming up to renwal and they have some stupid policy about notifying them of cancellation a certain amount of time before the policy renewal? Like some phone contracts.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
I was with admiral for multi car, cheaper for the first year not so much the second year till i changed else were, worked out cheaper for me getting 2 policys from different insurers, but then i do have 2 sets of ncb one for each car/policy.

Riddle me this. I'm just off the phone with Admiral. I was flicking through my policy and noticed it was down as 'parked on the street'. I rang them up, explained that it's in a locked, alarmed garage and my policy went UP BY £37!

I queried this before with the insurance company, and garage was dearest, drive way was cheaper, and residential carpark/on the street was the cheapest. I was told the Drive way and garage (most garages being attached to the house or on the driveway of the house) its obvious to a potential theft which car belongs to which house, so if you leave with out car, in bed/lights off they know your likely not about, were a general residential parking/on the street (unless your lucky enough to park at your door), unless they have followed you/watch you park up enter house etc, they wont know what house the car belongs to and less likely to break in if there is lights on in a neighbouring house...dunno if there is any truth in that though.

Another token to that was my car being stored in a locked alarmed garage away from home is cheaper than being parked in a garage at home! surely theres more chance of a break in/damage etc at a garage your no were near, time the alarms gone off, cctv checked and you get out it would be gone or too late....but im not complaining lol.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayman S
I definately must ring Autoline tomorrow. Thats nice and cheap @Eager .

Frig thats some jump in price! What caused it to almost multiply by 3?? When you say cancellation period, had the policy already renewed or was it coming up to renwal and they have some stupid policy about notifying them of cancellation a certain amount of time before the policy renewal? Like some phone contracts.

It autorenewed and they negelected to tell me about it until 3 weeks later when I received an email saying 'thanks for renewing with Admiral, can you please answer a few questions about your experience?' or something along those lines. My fault for not paying attention to my policy, but in my defense, I forgot that they had me on that stupid 10 month NCB accelerator policy and I wasn't insured for the full 12 months.

Absolutely zero reasoning for it to treble in price. Same location, same car, same details as last year. Infact I had it covered for 3000 miles and told them that it only covered 800 in the last year and will probably do the same this year. The only thing that's changed is that I now have another years NCB.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
And the laws about what compensation can be paid out for personal injury.

I'm afraid everyones premiums are going up.

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
Thats ridiculous @Simon998 ! One of the saving graces of getting older is getting cheaper insurance but for many people it only seems to be going up!

I rang autoline and they wouldn't quote me for a classic policy. Said I had to be 30.

The quote I got from Aviva was £1230 to cover both motors, works out about £1330 if doing direct debit.

Simon83

RMS Regular
Instead of creating a new thread I will just bump this. Can anyone recommend a company that will mirror my no claims on two cars. For the first time ever I need a car for commuting to work and my Mini Cooper S isn’t ideal for this so I have bought a daily. The mini is currently insured through Endsleigh and they don’t offer multi car and are being awkard about insuring two cars. I have tried a multi car quote with direct line and Admiral and both are coming in at £600. Both companies will only use the no claims for the mini.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
@Simon83 To be fair £600 is not bad for two cars, it's costs me about £60 more than that for the Golf and the Scooby. Multi car is not always cheaper, I'm with Admiral for the Golf and Flux for the Scooby. I believe Flux mirror no claims though and Greenlight did before I switched from them.

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Direct line have been very good to me in terms of quotations. Also insured my dad’s car this year for £204 on a 10k per annum (Fair enough it’s an avensis) but I’ve never heard of insurance so cheap.

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
Something to do with fires etc and if something happened in the garage it'd cause higher value damage.

I always have mine parked on a driveway, seems to be the cheapest option.

For your trade policy?

Simon83

RMS Regular
@Simon83 To be fair £600 is not bad for two cars, it's costs me about £60 more than that for the Golf and the Scooby. Multi car is not always cheaper, I'm with Admiral for the Golf and Flux for the Scooby. I believe Flux mirror no claims though and Greenlight did before I switched from them.

I automatically thought that multicar policy’s would have been cheaper so I was pricing them. I got talking to someone more helpful at Endsleigh this morning and got both cars insured on Seperate policy’s for £540. Does anyone know what age a car has to be to qualify for Classic insurance? The mini will be 15 years old next year

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I automatically thought that multicar policy’s would have been cheaper so I was pricing them. I got talking to someone more helpful at Endsleigh this morning and got both cars insured on Seperate policy’s for £540. Does anyone know what age a car has to be to qualify for Classic insurance? The mini will be 15 years old next year

Money supermarket ran a thing recently about multi car policies and that you really need to shop around as frequently two separate policies are cheaper. I've had two policies on my cars since I've had the two cars as its always been the cheaper option.

Also my Scooby needs to reach 20 years old before I can get a classic policy on it. It turns 18 in June here so getting close.

_Stu_

RMS Regular

Just renewed my policy today and insured my R53 Cooper S with modifications declared for £280. That was on a multicar policy and I paid quite a lot for my GTD but in fairness it has business use and much higher annual mileage. Was very impressed at all the cost of the MINI for insurance though.

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Thread bump. Anyone know if the likes of flux would mirror ncb being used on another policy that isn’t with them?

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Thread bump. Anyone know if the likes of flux would mirror ncb being used on another policy that isn’t with them?
Phone them and see what they can do for you mate. They might be able to but either way so long as you get a quite you’re happy with

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Phone them and see what they can do for you mate. They might be able to but either way so long as you get a quite you’re happy with
Expecting a call from them today as I ran a quote through the website over the weekend. Is it 15 years old for the car to be eligible for classic insurance?

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Expecting a call from them today as I ran a quote through the website over the weekend. Is it 15 years old for the car to be eligible for classic insurance?
Something like that but again. Doesn’t always work out the cheapest or make much difference. Generally I’ve found flux to be most competitive regardless

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Something like that but again. Doesn’t always work out the cheapest or make much difference. Generally I’ve found flux to be most competitive regardless
Yeh their price was decent & with all mods declared. Just noticed some talking about mirrored no claims and classic ins so thought I might be able to salvage a few extra quid asking

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Yeh their price was decent & with all mods declared. Just noticed some talking about mirrored no claims and classic ins so thought I might be able to salvage a few extra quid asking
I didn’t think they quoted online?
Hopefully they can do something. They aren’t the underwriters but the person on the phone is usually good at getting the best deal. Also if you run a comparison quote online you can give them the reference to look up and try and better it.

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
I didn’t think they quoted online?
Hopefully they can do something. They aren’t the underwriters but the person on the phone is usually good at getting the best deal. Also if you run a comparison quote online you can give them the reference to look up and try and better it.
Ran my details through the website and they emailed a quote through within half an hour. 100%. ThanksI’ll get a word with them today

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Is it 15 years old for the car to be eligible for classic insurance?
Depends on the year, make, model, production numbers, rarety etc.

FYI - Classic insurance doesnt build you NCB, most companies only allow you a classic policy if you are the owner/policy holder of a main car