multi car policies

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Hey Guys,

unfortunately its that time of year when my insurance is up for renewal... with adding the X5 to the M3 policy late last year.. i knew this renewal would be interesting !!

admiral... who i had been with came in with a high renewal, i had been with them for 3 years on the M3 and they were always decent - i.e. no silly year on year hikes.

i went through LV, Aviva & direct line.... i then also went on a comparison site - which connected me with abbeyfields insurance.

they were more tailored (more phone than e-mail... and tried their best to tweak the policy to what i wanted/needed) lady called Jayne was most helpful and is a [roper car nut)

i've no connection... and not getting any claw back!! but woudl recommend you try them... i got what i believe is a fair deal... lets hope i dont need to actually use it to see how fair :grinning:

i did try greenlight by the way as i know they are a sponsor here... but they dont touch M3s... nor were interested in the X5 separately

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Did you speak to admiral on the phone and ask for any discounts. My multicar is with them and as you say their renewal was extortionate. I rang them up, asked if they could do better and to be fair the girl at the end of the phone was very helpful. She gave me the same no claims discount over all the cars and did some other stuff, brought the premium down significantly and a few hundred cheaper than the year before.

gixermark

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
GT3, Jedi
i did yea... and they were helpful.

but still not in the ballpark. they instantly dropped ~10% and then proceeded to drop another chunk, as i had been able to make the one i ended up going with very flexible.... 3rd party F&T on the X5, fully comp M3, different mileages on each, different excesses etc etc.... but abbeyfields were still in a different league... and LV were 2nd. Admiral were a distant 3rd.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Good info. My admiral multicar came in extortionate this year and so far LV have wiped the floor with them and everyone else so will try abbeyfields too.

gixermark

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
GT3, Jedi
give them a wirl.... i cant recommend Jayne enough, was surprisngly pleasant experience getting it sorted.

LV were ~300 quid cheaper than the admiral renewal (who then came down a chunk) abbeyfields were ~ 50-100 quid cheaper than LV

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
You missed an opportunity. I simply called admiral up to 'cancel' and after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing the guy basically said how much do you need it to be to stay - i made a number up and told him thats what AXA quoted me. The deal was done and i actually saved money on my renewal. That was a 3-car multi-car policy.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
You missed an opportunity. I simply called admiral up to 'cancel' and after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing the guy basically said how much do you need it to be to stay - i made a number up and told him thats what AXA quoted me. The deal was done and i actually saved money on my renewal. That was a 3-car multi-car policy.
I didn't miss it sadly, I called to discuss and change a few things and they said nothing more they could do.

gixermark

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
GT3, Jedi
no miss here either....... although i was pissed when they dropped 90 quid without even starting to compare policies...... they hadnt played that game since i had been with them.... obviously their algorithms have changed this year.

in the end with them tweaking my policies a bit i got well over 200 quid off their renewal price......... but i still got way more off (and more features) by moving (y)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

Funny I named my price with flux too. Annoys me that they don't just give you their best price to begin with.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
On a multi car policy (two cars) can you have two different first named drivers who each benefit from their own no claims discount?

gsmith

RMS Regular
In the same position. Been with admiral multi car for around 4 years now. As they do they’ve bumped there renewal up but I can go to lv who are nearly £500 cheaper. Anyone with lv?

PAULW

RMS Regular
I'm with LV after admiral bumped up mine last year. LV are grand but no claims made, so it's hard to tell. Everyone is nice to you when you are giving them money...

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Just off with admiral there who are offering 270 something for the forester and the bm to go on the wife's current policy from fab until June. Not bad considering Adrian Flux wanted 1153 for just the bm

gsmith

RMS Regular
Phoned admiral knocked just over £200 off then called lv who have stuck a few extras on and it’s still £280 cheaper think I’ll give Lv a go.

mightymetro

RMS Regular
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
Am also with Admiral, 3 cars and the house insurance on multi cover which had been saving a fortune vs seperate policies.

Renewal came in up 20% year on year. I gave them a call and got about 200 off without kicking up too much stink and got us back close to where we used to be.

The thought of having to get like for like seperate quotes elsewhere for all that gave me a cold sweat, I suppose that's the weakness of it - you're less likely to want to look elsewhere so you're more likely to suck up the renewal to save hassle.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
On a multi car policy (two cars) can you have two different first named drivers who each benefit from their own no claims discount?
yes, you assign a main driver to each vehicle. they even split your quote out to show the price per vehicle.

soccersmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
F32+RSV1000

I tried this with Apricot Insurance who I've been with for years on my van, at renewal.

Point blank didn't want to negotiate at all which was strange as they always match any go compare quote, year on year.

Obviously not insured with them anymore.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
I tried this with Apricot Insurance who I've been with for years on my van, at renewal.

Point blank didn't want to negotiate at all which was strange as they always match any go compare quote, year on year.

Obviously not insured with them anymore.

Yep, time to move on. i guess there must be something on their system, whether its your post code or something about you, the insured, that dictates whether or not they'll fight for your business - sometimes it can be the most ridiculous things stipulated by the underwriters.....like you ticked the box saying "Have you owned or driven a Ford in any capacity within the last 2 years."

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.