MX-5 Lanes car

DavyC

RMS Regular
Best of luck team. Hat well and truly off for the effort thus far, driving it there, and tenting it too!

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
It was as rough as getout, you'd need some special suspension to cope with that. Oh aye and tyres with some grip lol. Was absolutely mighty craic though!!
20180729_174251.jpg

Getting petrol at the 'EVO' garage in Betws-y-Coed in the most non-evo car lol.

20180729_184046.jpg

Getting the boat back last night.

38015825_10156655413743474_914499524884430848_n.jpg

Action shot yeooooo!!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Jaysus, just just a bit of freshly ploughed field :joy:

Bet you had fun though, at least the car looks in one piece! More or less :innocent:

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
There was some seriously rough sections so I backed off to make sure we had a car left to drive back to the boat. There was 31 test miles and well over 100 road miles over the day so a good challenge. Glad to have completed it intact but I'd need something with a bit more ground clearance, suspension travel and proper tyres to get anywhere on the results.

Same hairpin as the photo

I was all over the place on this one but obscured by the Fiesta, Well into third and keeping it at it by the next passage control. They took a step back when they saw me coming lol.

Last edited:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Does this mean you can now laugh when people gurn about NI targas being rough?

I remember when we ran at Baronscourt and a few complained at the roughness, only for my dad to point out that the mg midgets seemed to manage ok, so the mx5s should too :laughing:

Looks like a great craic event, I'd say the Welsh guys were fairly flying too.

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
61 finishers out of 100 starters. Rough as a badgers arse!

The MX5 has really soft suspension on the back end so when you have it loaded up with two fair sized blokes, a full tank of fuel and two full size spares, it bottoms out all the time. The springs are overwhelmed and the shocks too. Yeah the locals were well tooled up with plenty of ground clearance and grippy tyres. BMW compacts with 325td springs at the front and touring springs on the rear and modded diffs seem to be a popular weapon of choice. Totally different to NI Targas and that's why I went, to experience something different.

They are talking about making it a 2 day event next year......

O.M.G. :p:p:p

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
It was a great weekend, totally exhausting but awesome. Just happy to get a finish and the full on Welsh targa experience tbh but now want to go back next year with some proper preparation and give it a go. (y)

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
Dug it out to wash it, took bloody ages lol. Honestly never seen the underside of the car so caked in sheite. No pics as i was rushing to get it sorted between rain showers. This is for @PeteMoore though, always sounds good starting it up in the garage.

My chassis rails under the floorpan are pretty much crushed flat. :joy:

Last edited:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Dug it out to wash it, took bloody ages lol. Honestly never seen the underside of the car so caked in sheite. No pics as i was rushing to get it sorted between rain showers. This is for @PeteMoore though, always sounds good starting it up in the garage.

My chassis rails under the floorpan are pretty much crushed flat. :joy:

Still love how it sounds. Even better in an enclosed space.

How bad are the guards?

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
The diff guard is bent up and sitting against the bracing bars but I'm sure it will straighten up ok. The front one looks like it has been in a war but I've not had them it off yet to take a closer look. it's the frame rails under the floor that have taken the worst beating though. Might need to cut some out of a scrap shell tbh.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I wouldn't worry too much about the frame rails, it's more of a shock to see a mx5 with unbattered ones nowadays!

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
At least the guards did their job then... Was that damage from Wales?

Yeah, all the guards were straight before Wales lol The guards deffo did their job. Bit of straightening out and they will be fine.

The left rail is now pretty much flat. I have seen mention of that being an MOT failure.. Pretty simple fix though. :grinning:

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Sorry if I missed it but what was the event you did? I did the Welsh endurance rally 12 years ago. It was brilliant

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
It was the 116 Car Club Targa Tracks.
The 116 Car Club
Very well organised and run event and the tests were great with 3 long 5 mile tests and plenty of 3, 2 and 1 mile tests. The shortest test was 0.7 miles which in reality is close to the maximum you would see on an event here. Great experience but somehow our final timecard went missing after we handed it in or something which means we got a load of test max's in the results. TBH, I'm not that bothered as it was for experience and I'd like to go back next year and do better if I can.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Have you an exhaust system on that as it sounds lovely!

Proper job. I would love to get back to the lanes but I have heard getting an entry now can be very tricky.

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
Yep, a @PeteMoore made special, well tucked up out of the way.
Entries can be a bit difficult but I think it's overstated a bit. There was an MVAT last Saturday in Cookstown / Stewartstown that only got 25 entries and was more like a Targa than an MVAT. I got an entry for the Rathfriland Targa next week there on Thursday as there were dropouts from the guys who had initially entered.