MX5 Speaker placement

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Hello all,

I am just looking some advice regarding placement of a set up in my new car, a mk1 Eunos Roadster, ie an MX5.

I will be using the 12 inch sub and amp i currently have, but was wondering, is it best in the boot (considering its not part of the cabin like a hatch or saloon) or in the cabin on the plinth behind the drivers seats.

If in the back i was thinking of a fairly low wide sub box to keep the air volume roughly the same.

Secondly, would 6.5 co axials fit in the door pods ok?

I have bought the car, but haven't collected, so can't look yet, but i wanna get the ball rolling on stuff already lol :laughing:

Thanks in advance, Warren.

RyanMx5boy

Banned
i have the same problem with my mx-5 wanted sound system cant put it in the boot cus will rattle and needs insulated wont reli hear it anyway cant put it behind seats cus roof wont go down i was thinking 6x9s on floor behind seat or on space btween to seats on ledge u dont buy mx for sound system anyway

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
I wouldnt be for putting a sub box on the shelf behind your head, would be a bit dangerous in an accident. Iceman told me it was pointless putting a sub in the boot, you'll hardly be able to hear it and it'll sound crap, and theres nowhere near enough room behind a seat to fit a sub box in. We just fitted a good set of components and amped them. The only other thing Iceman considered was building a small moulded enclosure in the corner of the footwell for an 8" sub.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
Bugger, lol.

Looks like i may be in the market for an 8" sub then. Suppose a 12" sub is a little excessive for such a small cabin space.

Cheers ppl.

Warren.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Thread bump...

Anyone recommend an upgrade for the 'Bose' set up in a MK3 MX5? Mr Bose must've been having an off day when he signed off the system for these, its pure *****

Is it worth upgrading the head unit too? There's a parrot handsfree fitted which will play apple music through the speakers but the inability to control through either the handsfree or head unit is a pain. Plus the speakers nearly have a meltdown when I crank the volume up at all through the phone.

Not looking to spend any big amount of money, if anyone was selling on something that would be suitable I'd look at that, or something new but good value.

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
Thread bump...

Anyone recommend an upgrade for the 'Bose' set up in a MK3 MX5? Mr Bose must've been having an off day when he signed off the system for these, its pure *****

Is it worth upgrading the head unit too? There's a parrot handsfree fitted which will play apple music through the speakers but the inability to control through either the handsfree or head unit is a pain. Plus the speakers nearly have a meltdown when I crank the volume up at all through the phone.

Not looking to spend any big amount of money, if anyone was selling on something that would be suitable I'd look at that, or something new but good value.
You going double din or single? In my last mx5 I had an aftermarket unit and when it was sunny atall and the roof was down you couldn't make out anything on the screen. But the sound in my mk3 is grim enough too (non bose) so keen to see upgrades

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
A good head unit mates all the difference. I couldn't change the equaliser settings on my standard head unit, so just by being able to add some more bass and putting more volume to the tweeters just beside your head, it improved the quality immensely. Just by changing the head unit alone made a world of difference without changing all the speakers. If the speakers are still that bad, maybe they're just done. Mine are sweet and you can still hear the tunes clearly with the roof down.

My head unit wasn't overly expensive. Radio, facia and steering wheel control switch I got for around £200. My head unit is class for the money. Non-DAB but I never use the radio, I'm always on Spotify anyway. Was literally the first thing I bought for my car as the audio quality was so bad.

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
A good head unit mates all the difference. I couldn't change the equaliser settings on my standard head unit, so just by being able to add some more bass and putting more volume to the tweeters just beside your head, it improved the quality immensely. Just by changing the head unit alone made a world of difference without changing all the speakers. If the speakers are still that bad, maybe they're just done. Mine are sweet and you can still hear the tunes clearly with the roof down.

My head unit wasn't overly expensive. Radio, facia and steering wheel control switch I got for around £200. My head unit is class for the money. Non-DAB but I never use the radio, I'm always on Spotify anyway. Was literally the first thing I bought for my car as the audio quality was so bad.
Care to share which one it was? 😁
Was yours bose or non bose?

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Truthfully car audio isn't my strength lol .. it was the cheapest Bluetooth touchscreen double-din halfords had to offer at the time 2 and a half years ago lol

This was the original non-bose unit.
2x (14).jpeg

Then this was the Pioneer. I just liked that I could adjust the colour to match the dash lol

20190417_131350.jpg
20190119_201628.jpg
20190119_201333.jpg