My 2007 MK5 Golf R32

Neil_M

RMS Regular
With the Mini (R53 Cooper S) about to go up for sale it was time to look for a replacement.

My initial thoughts were to go for a german estate and while a very practical car to use for life's courier requirements and daily driving duties, it's also something I would have used to tow the Civic to and from Kirkistown.

I couldn't really find anything that floated my boat. So I ended up looking at A6's and 5 series saloons. I did find a clinker of an E60, however the dealer was less than honest so that was ignored.

I came back to looking at hot hatches. The Mk2 Focus ST became a contender, as did an Edition 30 GTI. However many were wrecked and not quite something I wanted to put any money into. During the searches of Mk5 Golfs, the odd R32 cropped up.

I spotted the car I ended up with, seen the aftermarket wheels, stickers and closed the advert. The following day over several beers and a Chinese a mate suggested the same R32 again. Slightly hazy from the day before, we took a lap down to see the car. Isn't that the best way to pick a car?

We spent a good hour looking round it. Underneath the aftermarket wheels and "interesting" additional decals, a very lucrative project was hiding. A full detailed history was supplied with the car, mechanically it didn't seem to need anything. The body work needed a little tidy, the leather and interior needed a detail and the wheels could be changed. Most of these things I can do myself, partnered with the low miles a deal was done and the car was bought.

20190126_131633.jpg

20190126_131644.jpg

20190126_164002.jpg

The interior is in pretty good shape. Bar a few decals that will be removed.

20190126_164243.jpg

20190126_164314.jpg

20190127_170603.jpg

Don't worry the stickers on the rear window and side skirts didn't last long, even when the car was parked up.

20190127_173221.jpg

20190202_102207.jpg

20190202_123404.jpg

20190202_123411.jpg

The fuel filler cap was about to grow legs.

20190202_133654.jpg

20190202_153714.jpg

20190202_153720.jpg

20190202_153735.jpg

The exhausts were given a very quick once over... I should have these like a mirror in due course.

20190203_092738.jpg

20190203_092750.jpg

20190203_092805.jpg

Her first real drive after getting a tank of super was a blast down the motorway to the Cars & Coffee meet at PMG Autocare. It was a pretty crap day and I was running late, so a brisk drive down the motorway provided a good test of the car. She just woofled down the motorway, heated seats on, totally sure footed.

Parked up at PMG.

20190203_113524.jpg

20190203_113547.jpg

The wheels are dirt magnets!

20190203_113535.jpg

During a break in work, the VW badges on the key were replaced. A nice wee cheap detail.

20190204_133931.jpg

20190204_134134.jpg

On a similar topic, the spare key had rabies... So it was stripped and moved into a new housing.

20190206_095811.jpg

20190206_100820.jpg

20190206_100824.jpg

Thats one shot of the commute to work, not bad at all.

20190205_093953.jpg

The rear wiper bolt cover was split too. It was replaced with a genuine item after a coat of Gtechniq C4.

20190206_173020.jpg

20190206_173035.jpg

20190206_173343.jpg

If you are anything like me you will have researched any car you buy and read many reviews. Based on reviews and opinions of others you always tend to focus on the negatives. Many comparisons are made to the Mk5 Golf GTi, I honestly found the GTi a little too much of a jack of all trades and master of none (I well appreciate that goes against many reviews). The noise, looks and character of the R32 along with it's sure footedness make for a very special daily. Best of all part prices are very cheap, many many boxes are ticked with this car.

Here are some period YouTube reviews from TopGear and 5th Gear. Naturally Tiff's driving style emanates my daily commute.

The next plans are to give the body work a bit of protection for the remainder of the winter months and add some sheen back to the paint. A good service, engine bay detail, interior detail, remove some of the previous owners tweaks and change the wheels.

Ultimately she will be a daily. So I won't go too mad on it...

Only kidding, full steam ahead, let the rebuild commence!

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Fantastic! Looks great in red. Sounds like a good 1 with the miles and history. Funny how we dismiss things based on stuck on tat, I would’ve done the same!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Firstly sorry for half the images loading, just like the Mini thread... I'm speaking with Mr Cooper about it, seems to be either an SSL or proxy issue (I host my own images).

Dibs if you sell! I miss my old mk5 R32 :joy:

LOL cheers batman, I'll bare that in mind. It's a surprisingly great all rounder.

Fantastic! Looks great in red. Sounds like a good 1 with the miles and history. Funny how we dismiss things based on stuck on tat, I would’ve done the same!

Ta for the compliments. It does seem to work well in red, the chrome grill still provides a good contrast, despite blue being "the" colour. Most of the tat is already gone, the wheels days are numbered too (y).

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Very nice Neil. Looks great in red- quite classic!

Yea I'm very happy with the colour too. I would always have played safe and went for the blue, polished up she looks awesome. Very happy with the choice of colour.

Very nice. Looking forward to following the improvements on this :grinning:

Plenty coming, not that I have bought loads already :innocent:. I just need to start typing up more updates.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Really clean car, that I have no doubt will be returned to better than new state knowing your OCD lol

Love red in the MK5 and the noise from them standard is just great. Nice purchase bud!

Gambit

RMS Regular
hard to beat the noise of them and nice place to sit for a daily driver - effortless thing.

id seen it also when advertised and wondered if it was the fella of GTINI - John something or other - his old car? i only ever remember one red mk5 r32 in the country and he owned it

edit: found it
My Tornado Mk5 32

Last edited:

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
The sound of these is so addictive. Looks great in red too!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Really clean car, that I have no doubt will be returned to better than new state knowing your OCD lol

Love red in the MK5 and the noise from them standard is just great. Nice purchase bud!

LOL it's not like I have already taken a large parts haul photo....

100% on the noise, she a very refined car, so you don't really get to hear it inside.

hard to beat the noise of them and nice place to sit for a daily driver - effortless thing.

id seen it also when advertised and wondered if it was the fella of GTINI - John something or other - his old car? i only ever remember one red mk5 r32 in the country and he owned it

edit: found it
My Tornado Mk5 32

Exactly right sir. She is quite effortless.

I'm afraid that seems to be a different car sir.

Nice in red, love the noise these make.

Thanks Steve, you are right!

The sound of these is so addictive. Looks great in red too!

100% on the noise. It just adds so much character to the car, you really don't expect that noise to come out of a Golf!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Great choice, and would absolutely love one myself one day

It's early days of course, but it does seem to be a superb daily. It's refined, comfortable, very well put together, loads of toys, but still goes well and has great character...

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Very nice! Always been a big fan of the R32 and it looks lovely in red. Actually had a look round it a couple of times while down at PMG!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Very nice, they look gorgeous in red.

I’ve a nice set of newly refurbed genuine omanyt 18’s that would look just lovely on it :cool:

View attachment 224734

View attachment 224735

Goodness me, I love the Omanyt's.

I may already have a set of Zolders in the house... PM incomming.

Very nice! Always been a big fan of the R32 and it looks lovely in red. Actually had a look round it a couple of times while down at PMG!

Cheers Eddie. Should should only get better,

That is super! What a perfect replacement for the MIni. Can’t wait to see what you do to this one

Cheers Lauren... That's not to say I'll get another mini again...

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Actually, I remember having a look around it when it was down at PMG! Looked well in the flesh! (y)

Cheers Jack.

She's actually bang on mechanically, I'll update a few more details in due course...

There are a few nicks and scrapes on the body work, it's the only real let down for me. However I did managed to get one coat of polish on it over the weekend. She came up very very well.

The interior just needs a good clean, it's not dirty, just a good freshen up, carpet shampoo, new floor mats, leather treated etc etc.

Like many cars I'd read up about all the horror stories of chains etc. It's all bang on.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Those wheels above would look lovely on that! The red is a great colour and im sure a serious shine will come off it once properly treated!

Glad you got the stickers off, ghastly!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Those wheels above would look lovely on that! The red is a great colour and im sure a serious shine will come off it once properly treated!

Glad you got the stickers off, ghastly!

I don't need more encouragement lol. Not that I bought a set of wheels on Saturday....