My 2007 MK5 Golf R32

Dexter mcf

RMS Regular
Drives
Orion ghia, XR3i
How much for the tyres and where did you get the window/light switch kit ?

Jonty87

RMS Regular
Good man this has been a great read !!your a handy lad with the mechanics at home!ive been on the look for a mk5 R32 since July and it’s hard!im maybe too fussy but there are some rough ones out there!a three door blue is desired but they are like hens teeth!ive my eye on an 07 black with 66k on the clock which is tasty!im in templepatrick myself lad so when I get mine (fingers crossed) will have to go a blast!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Time for a few updates on the R32, more as I have been tinkering away with some smaller jobs.

The battery was starting to show signs of needing replacement so time to get that done. Great timing as I'm now on the fourth or fifth battery I have replaced in the last month for friends and family.

Anyway the battery in the R32 is in the boot and while many people buy smaller batteries to make them fit... Just buy the correct one :grinning:.

20191217_134027.jpg

Battery box getting cleaned up...

20191217_142327.jpg

And the old genuine battery removed.

20191217_145528.jpg

A video of the installation process is below.

Then the next job, or what turned into two jobs... The boot latch and handle replacement.

Both the handle and latch were showing shorts on OBD Eleven. Both are common faults on the Mk5 platform.

So I started with the latch replacement using a genuine item.

20191215_142032.jpg

And a video of the replacement process.

Ultimately with the latch replaced, the boot still failed to open without using the manual release.

The diagnosis then pointed to the handle area, ultimately micro-switch / wear in the handle assembly was causing problems.

20191219_150400.jpg

The micro-switch was removed from a cheap used handle.

20191219_150404.jpg

It was then installed onto mine, the micro-switches trigger was bent slightly and job done, it's now working.

Note I will replace the whole handle assembly in due course.

20191219_153038.jpg

Of course a video to explain the process a little better...

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Then it was time to upgrade some of the rear light bulbs with LED versions. The reverse light and the fog light were first on the list. I found the reverse light to be a little dull anyway, so the upgrade should help!

20191222_160524.jpg

A video of the reverse light.

And a video the fog light.

More to come here, however the supplier sent the wrong bulbs.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
It was then time to give the car a good scrub ready for Christmas.

Time to give a bottle of Turtle Wax Dry & Shine Rinse Wax a try!

20191224_144043.jpg

It certainly needed a good snow foam to get the process started.

20191224_150913.jpg

Some beads on the roof the following day.

20191225_100717.jpg

And another video of me trying out the Turtle Wax product.

With the car still relatively clean, it was time for a Cars & Coffee meeting on the 29th December.

IMG-20191214-WA0001.jpg

All in aid of the Clic Sargent charity.

20191229_120317.jpg

It was a massive turn out of cars, unfortunately I only managed one photo...

20191229_113515.jpg

... however I did get a walk around video of the event.

Good man this has been a great read !!your a handy lad with the mechanics at home!ive been on the look for a mk5 R32 since July and it’s hard!im maybe too fussy but there are some rough ones out there!a three door blue is desired but they are like hens teeth!ive my eye on an 07 black with 66k on the clock which is tasty!im in templepatrick myself lad so when I get mine (fingers crossed) will have to go a blast!

Ta very much man, sorry for the late reply.

Good to hear you are local too :grinning:.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Your golf looked great yesterday, looks so good in red. It didn't help me with my itch from changing a mk5 gti to a r32.

Last edited:

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Looking great! Where did you get the reverse light bulb from if you don't mind me asking? Been thinking of trying an upgrade myself as the one in my Cupra R is worse than useless - found myself hanging out the window with a torch whilst reversing the other night in unfamiliar territory! :joy: I imagine your golf likely runs the same bulb and I take it the one you got has canbus resistors built in?

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Your golf looked great yesterday, looks so good in red. It didn't help me with my itch from changing to a mk5 gti to a r32.

Cheers man! She does everything I want from a daily.

Christmas is always a good test, filling the car with people and gifts etc. It just works.

I'd a good blast down one of my favourite back roads, just before Christmas. Taking a smooth driving approach, shes a very very stable, safe car, with very high limits, naturally the new tyres help that loads. Interestingly you can feel the Haldex system adjust, but its very very smooth in operation. Not quite giving you the throttle adjustability of a mechanical system. Certainly not bad at all, just different.

The engine is a peach too, smooth, revs out very cleanly and very tractable.

Arguably the body work is the only thing letting down the car a little. But that will come in due course.

Looking great! Where did you get the reverse light bulb from if you don't mind me asking? Been thinking of trying an upgrade myself as the one in my Cupra R is worse than useless - found myself hanging out the window with a torch whilst reversing the other night in unfamiliar territory! :joy: I imagine your golf likely runs the same bulb and I take it the one you got has canbus resistors built in?

I wouldn't quite recommend the company yet, they messed up part of the order, so just waiting on a reply from them. Should they come through I'll fire up a link.

It may have the resistors built in, but certainly no errors so far.

It's a P21W bulb, so may well be the same bulb as you say.

I'd always say buy quality LED lights to save the errors and making sure they last. In saying that I have some cheapie eBay jobs in the Civic and zero problems!

e320mark

RMS Regular
Saw your R32 at junction 1 yesterday Neil, really nice looking car, red makes it even better! Sorry didn’t get the chance for a chat, family dinner meant I had to leave early!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Saw your R32 at junction 1 yesterday Neil, really nice looking car, red makes it even better! Sorry didn’t get the chance for a chat, family dinner meant I had to leave early!

How rude Mark! Sure next time at a Cars and Coffee!

Jonty87

RMS Regular
Just noticed the white ‘R’ logo on the head rests embroidered. Is this a factory spec of something a previous owner has had done?it looks well!!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Just noticed the white ‘R’ logo on the head rests embroidered. Is this a factory spec of something a previous owner has had done?it looks well!!

Those were aftermarket vinyl stickers. Not quite to my taste so they were removed.

In honesty they wern't terrible.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
The reverse camera had stopped working on the R32, not a big problem really, but anytime I reversed the blurred image of the failed camera appeared... Also based on the design of the reverse camera, it replaced one of the number plate lights, there was only a small LED on that unit, which ultimately looked like it had failed was was just a bit keek!

So first of all lets get the LED license plate units installed (you can see the reverse camera here).

20191219_155150.jpg

Testing the first LED unit was working ok.

20191219_160537.jpg

Now time to get stuck into the camera. At this stage I had traced out the wires and using a spare camera, tested to confirm it was the camera itself that had failed (which it was)/.

20191231_151746.jpg

I'll not criticise the previous wiring job (I'm not sure who completed it) but at least they left the OE plugs on the license plate loom. Just a little wiring for the old camera to tidy up.

20191231_153330.jpg

Testing a more discreet camera, which worked perfectly.

20200103_140646.jpg

Making sure my own wiring was neat, tidy, secure and well protected.

20200103_145331.jpg

A quick sample of the image quality from the camera before securing properly. It's not too bad really.

20200103_151927.jpg

The camera is now finally mounted. I've added a little blue tape to secure it while the adhesive cures.

20200103_153358.jpg

It's a much more discreet unit than the previous one.

20200103_153402.jpg

Testing in the dark tonight. It's stil quite good! The LED license plate units and reverse light help light the area of course.

20200103_171859.jpg

Job done, it would have been a wiring nightmare, but all is up and running now. Not to mention it doesn't look like it has a failed bulb!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
In keeping with the R32 bulb upgrades, it was time to get stuck into the interior bulbs.

It's a wee tweak I always love doing on an older car, it sharpens up and modernises things for minimal outlay, especially evident on these darker nights.

This was quite a straight forward installation overall. The only complexity is the glovebox and foot-well light units that have a metal cage around the bulb. You have to pry these open to access the bulb. Nothing major, just a little fiddly.

Additionally, you will see I broke one of the vanity mirror light lenses. Ultimately as shown on the video, with the second vanity light unit, you have to remove the whole unit, as opposed to the lens cover, experience counts! I have a replacement unit fitted already.

Difficult things to photograph, but here are some photos...

Driver footwell.

20200112_142526.jpg

Passenger footwell.

20200112_154634.jpg

Glove box.

20200112_154647.jpg

Front map lights.

20200112_154652.jpg

A video of the process is below, should it be of help...

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I should finally be complete with the bulb replacements on the R32.

I ended up finding another supplier for the LED bulbs. The kit I bought wasn't complete and it had the wrong bulbs in it...

As per usual a wee video of the install process, this time on the rear brake/tail lights and the indicators.

My brother has a Mk7 Golf GTi. It was suffering from a common issue of the bottom of the boot lid filling with water, this empties out when you open the boot lid. This is caused by a grommet on the drain tube perishing and falling apart. This leaves the drain tube lose and not draining out of the hole as it should. It's a £5 part and an easy fix (Part No: 510-827-861-A).

A quick video of the install is below.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I love wee jobs like that. Simple solution but so satisfying when done.

100% @Crow555 . A cheap fix to solve a frustrating issue.

Generally when my brother had washed the car, he opened the boot to dry off the shuts, water spilled out all over the clean paintwork...

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
Drives
ImprezaSTI
A great thread and a great read. Lovely example of an R32. I'm not a golf fan but like most people, I make an exception for an R32! Hard to beat that engine note and it looks great too!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
A great thread and a great read. Lovely example of an R32. I'm not a golf fan but like most people, I make an exception for an R32! Hard to beat that engine note and it looks great too!

Thanks for the compliments :grinning:.

I'm not biased towards any brand myself. I do have to say it's a very very good car. Genuinely a great all rounder, without compromising in character. Minimal running costs too so win win.

Bar a bit of paint, she doesn't really need loads done. Though I'll get all the secondary fluids done in the better weather.

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
Drives
ImprezaSTI
Thanks for the compliments :grinning:.

I'm not biased towards any brand myself. I do have to say it's a very very good car. Genuinely a great all rounder, without compromising in character. Minimal running costs too so win win.

Bar a bit of paint, she doesn't really need loads done. Though I'll get all the secondary fluids done in the better weather.

Truth be told im very jap-biased myself but the R32 has always interested me. Never cared much for the GTI (though I do love their interiors) but the idea of a fairly regular looking hatchback with a v6 under the bonnet is just incredibly cool!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
The venerable R32 isn't getting much use due to the lock down, however that gives me plenty of time to tinker!

The first bit of maintenance was a change of the rear differential fluid.

This is a very easy change, plenty of access. Some nice new shiny drain / fill plugs too.

Then the coolant was flushed and changed with Quantum fluid.

Nothing too difficult with this job. I found it just takes a little time to burp the entire system.

The popular Haldex unit was serviced with new OE fluid and filter.

This is a little more awkward due to lack of space, not helped when you are trying to position a camera.

I did have a few complexities though. Mainly the filter when received, was incorrectly assembled. In short the spacer cap was on the wrong end, I since discovered it can be swapped (illustrated in the video).

The bandits / mechanics that maintained the car for the previous owner tightened every bolt with many ugga duggas, the filter cap was installed far too tight, I had to use my leg against a large ratchet to get the leverage / strength required (bare in mind there is a sealing o-ring on the cap too). The filter also had two o-rings installed around the outside, presumably an additional old one had been left on. That's the last of their poor work remedied now.

The gearbox also had its oil changed too.

A commonly missed item, but well worth changing. Both drain and fill plugs are easy to access too.

How to change the gearbox oil or fluid on a Mk5 R32 Golf

These relatively simple maintenance tasks have made quite a difference. The gearbox for example shifts much smoother and sharper.

The combination of the rear diff / Haldex service has made an even larger difference. The rear of the car is now much more responsive, say when punching the car out of a roundabout, you can feel the rear being keener to engage. From reading up on the Haldex fluid, it promotes friction between the clutch plate faces, as opposed to a differential fluid that will provide lubrication. That all seems to make sense.

Next on the list is the front diff / bevel box, an engine oil change, fuel filter change and a good clean of the car.

Jonty87

RMS Regular
Firstly the issue with many of my images not loading for people should be resolved... an SSL cert has been purchased for my domain... So hopefully no more issues...

Being a fairly careful chap, my plan was always to get the R32 inspected by VW. It is always good getting a third opinion on any car, along with a formal inspection report. My real concerns were the timing chain and any random issues that may cause concern.

I have to say despite being fairly open I was literally down only for a quick inspection, I wasn't given any hard sell and treated with plenty of respect. I was even given a lift to and from work. I was very impressed by Agnew VW in Mallusk (Pete and Ray are highly recommended). It may also help that you know one of the senior technicians...

Now the report surprised me. A rear caliper's handbrake mechanism was sticking (very common on the VAG cars), an exhaust clamp was corroded (again pretty common) and the rear bump stops need replaced (again very common). I went right off and ordered the parts, the bill came to £100, not bad at all lol! It was commented the inside of the front tyres are wearing, recommending an alignment. That was always on the cards as it would be with any car I buy.

Now onto the parts haul, separate to the above.

Most oils and fluids were bought in one big order with Opie Oils. That's engine, gearbox, rear diff, brake fluid, spark plugs and air filter.

20190208_171638.jpg

20190208_181847.jpg

The order laid out along with a few other items... pollen filters, Haldex oil and filter, fuel filter, oil filter, trim clips and screws, Racing Line magnetic sump plug (lol it was on offer and shiny), LED bulbs and all the drain bolts for the diffs, gearbox etc etc.

20190208_182509.jpg

20190208_182517.jpg

A pretty productive weekend helps a mate pick up a new car, a set of plates from Neil @ Rockvale and a set of the OE Zolder wheels that have been refurbished. Noting these may be up for sale soon, indecisiveness for the win!

20190209_121902.jpg

Time to get the body work cleaned up. At this stage the plates at been removed, the car was snow foamed, washed and it was now coated in Dragons Breath to burn off some contaminants.

20190209_164620.jpg

20190209_164629.jpg

20190209_164634.jpg

20190209_164644.jpg

All rinsed off, ready for clay.

20190209_165411.jpg

20190209_165424.jpg

The paintwork was very clean, this was the dirtiest panel.

20190209_171046.jpg

20190209_174813.jpg

Time was against me and it was beer o'clock.

20190209_174827.jpg

The following morning, time to wash the car again and get stuck into a quick polish.

20190210_111518.jpg

The Zolder's getting a second clean.

20190210_155648.jpg

Carpet mats were collected too. I was lucky to have the part number to hand, as I was told only the blue or red mats were available...

20190214_214340.jpg

20190214_214715.jpg

A day off work allowed me to fit the new number plates (with no bolts), another coat of polish then seal and wax the car. She was looking very well.

20190216_105255.jpg

20190216_105301.jpg

20190216_105311.jpg

20190216_105327.jpg

Sorry for the poor lighting in some of these photos, it was late in the day...

20190216_105337.jpg

20190217_175135.jpg

20190217_175250.jpg

20190217_175314.jpg

20190217_175536.jpg

Pump shots FTW, time for another tank of Super and run through some fuel cleaner!

20190217_181129.jpg

The pressure is off, as the car is protected from the elements and much easier to clean. From a detailing point of view, the next stages are exterior trim, polishing and coating the exterior glass and an interior detail.

I was a little concerned with a few marks on the paint work (lacquer failing, chips and marks etc), so I called down to WJ Blair Accident Repair in Doagh. Speaking to Andy was as ever an educational process, he highlighted the front wings had been replaced (a common thing with MK5 Golfs) and not fitted perfectly and a few other bits and bobs. Ultimately I'll treat the car to fresh paint at some stage, the car is worth it. Hence I'll hold off on a machine polish. I think that's me up to date now...

Hi Neil, quick one, where did you buy the R32 mats from?and have you got the product code handy?thanks

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Hi Neil, quick one, where did you buy the R32 mats from?and have you got the product code handy?thanks

I bought them from my local stealership... Bare with me I will see if I can hoke out the part number.

Every time I read your threads I think you’d be a great man to buy a car from!!

Cheers batman, I just like doing things right :grinning:. Then half the fun is going out for a hoke and getting the satisfaction out of it.

Plenty more tinkering on the YT channel - Neil Magill

I've finally got a big garage upgrade, so even more futtering will commence :cool: .