Robson's Rovers - BMC / BL / AR / MINI / MG-R

Craggus

RMS Regular
Oh no mate. She's a page 3 girl. You don't have no problem being inside her, the pictures make her look far better than she is and you want to view her in real life at about 5 feet away. It's certain above average but has a little laquor failing on roof and two scuffs I need to sort.
That's a cracking description!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
That looks great, thinking about trying to keep it clean in winter is making me want to have a wee cry though.

Any lowering planned? that would finish it off nicely! :-D
I'm holding out for some factory Rover 200 vi springs, drop it 28mm on the oem shocks.

I don't want zr setup as I don't rally the thing. But with planned lpg tank I also don't want it looking like a mid ulster bora from the 00s with thr arse on the ground. So shall see when sorted.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I'm holding out for some factory Rover 200 vi springs, drop it 28mm on the oem shocks.

I don't want zr setup as I don't rally the thing. But with planned lpg tank I also don't want it looking like a mid ulster bora from the 00s with thr arse on the ground. So shall see when sorted.
Sweet, good luck!

I'm good assume Ty follow Furious Driving on YouTube?

My ultimate classic daily would be a 420GSI-T, pity his is just the GSI, lovely none the less.

I'd still lovely a Zs190 pre facelift or zs180 facelift, but I would want it as a daily and the parts availability worries me somewhat.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
Something I know a lot of the owners on here will appreciate, finding a low mileage version of the cars we want are getting harder and harder.

So I've rolled the dice and bought a 1/4 million mile Rover, this will be a video series not only on buying a high mileage example and making it better, but also importing a Rover from Ireland to the UK making it compliant to pass UK mot's etc.

Hope you enjoy a quick part 1!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
Since its last NCT it's got a lot of issues. Smashed windscreen being one obvious example, but there's a lot from warning lights to missing sills. By definition it is road legal until January nct expires, but I wouldn't consider it ideal. Be doing a whole "Ohhhhhhh balls" video next.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
Well I blaim @Blackie entirely for this, but still. Quick introduction video to the track toy project. And god its a project......

And some pictures that would make the detailing folks on here twitch and cry.

If the van is a page 3 girl this thing is definitely a punching bag ginger step child..... Will be good crack regardless and the mini folks are already great helping me out with advice and parts.

Nice to be able to buy a Mini part, in a local shop, and not track it down over 6 weeks online like the Rover bits lol.

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I had one just like that in 2003 (and half a dozen since). TCZ3415 if anyone ever finds this post please PM me I'd buy it tomorrow but sadly suspect it's gone. Was a cracking wee thing. Used it for 18 months and IIRC it dropped £50 over that time which was unheard of back then. It did consume two whole gearboxes during that time though lol

It's funny how things come round. A mate of mine who was mad into old BL tat would give me dogs abuse for driving a 'dirty' BMW (German) MINI. It wasn't 'mini' it wasn't British, its fat and bloated (or maybe that was me he was referring to), I was selling out, blah blah blah... the usual bollocks. Anyway we got together for pints six or so months ago and he was telling me about his Mini. Yep, a BMW one. His mind seemingly changed by the fact they're dime a dozen now and an old BL motor in anyway decent fettle, particularly a mini, is a complete fortune. He loves it.

Between my mates and me we had probably 20 of them and found that with good suspension, the smaller 15in wheels and decent tyres they were almost unstickable. You could see passengers climb up the jesus handle as you tipped it into a corner at whatever speed the thing could go. Age really affected them though they needed fresh bushes and suspension.

Have had a few runs with these on track over the past couple of years & for some reason some are far faster than others. Not sure if they're remapped, better set up or better drivers or what but I'll pass some and others will get away. Not sure what's going on. Would definitely consider one myself for the next cheap, fun and easily towed track car but would probably aim for a facelifted One.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
20230310-144414.jpg

So what's been happening with the fleet of rust recently.

Well the 25 van has been proving it's worth, and ease of running costs spectacularly.

20230310_145108.jpg

Far exceeding my expectations and I'm currently getting 430 plus miles to a tank of just buzzing around in a tyre mix of traffic, towing my trailer and parts delivery.

With my confidence in it I decided to take it back home to Birmingham for the annual Pride of Longbridge show, held in Crofton park opposite the MG Rover factory remains.

The factory is basically gone now, and I do mean bar the gates and one warehouse it's gone to make room for 1500 houses in the next 5 years.

However the plinth remains.

20230416_140841.jpg

Now people may not understand this plinth business for us Rover folk.

When every time a new model, a new edition or new colour was launched all the way back to the 60s it was parked in front of the factory and shown off to the world.

Usually on the same day it was revealed at motor shows and the like.

20230416_140856.jpg

So returning the van to the place it was born, and the gates it was given birth from is a bit of a right of passage. We truely are unsure if the gates will be there next year even with the building plans, and it's now 18 years since the factory closed as MG Rover and became MG UK who havnt exactly made a spectacular job of it tbh.

And now that's closed again obviously with everything being imported from China.

I can assure you, there wasn't a single "new" MG in the field that weekend. Not because they where not welcome, but already the drop of rate due to abysmal quality control. Following in tradition I suppose.

20230416_140950.jpg

So it's also a tradition to get a photo of yourself with the car. Good banter to be honest, I did this on the Sunday after the show and there was around 1500 cars there. And the variety was wonderful.

20230416_141609.jpg

I couldn't resist leaving something on the sign also, as some of you know I've my own merch range so be interesting to see if it survives until 2024 when I'm back!

20230417_075219.jpg

After that it emptied down, and me and the Mexicans (my mg rover mates from the south) all went out for a big Chinese meal.

A brilliant time as always but it's really given me the energy to get ripped into my other projects again.

20230418_183920.jpg

With the van back to daily duties again I must admit, after 850 miles that maybe, maybe I will take the engine out next summer and rebore the original block to 1.8, and fit a set of cams to it with a map. 140 ish bhp and identical mpg would be nicer, as fully loaded with 2 passengers it wasn't great over the Welsh hills!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
And now for the Mini.....

20230305-181550.jpg

Well it cleaned up OK actually and there's a video on my YouTube channel about it, but I knew I'd major issues with the cooling system.... And that turned into a god dam Greek tradigy....

...... 5 to 6 weeks of a absolute nightmare. And I swore I wasn't doing anything else to it until I knew what the end result was.

So with the thing sorted now, and I know the engine is running as it should I can begin the process of getting it road legal.

On route is a brand new petrol tank cradle along with a fuel filter. I've managed to drain it down to almost empty ticking it over now and whilst I know it's a pretty involved job doing the cradle on them, truthfully it's identical to the 75.

Its actually bizarre, the R50 and the 75 share so much its crazy, clips, random design cues, all sorts. You cna say what you want, but the R50 is NOT a BMW product.

After that it's going to need an exhaust and brakes, so will order 4 new calipers, mtec brakes and have to bite the bullet and buy tyres.

But I'm really torn, as I fancy some Rover 25 alloys on them with Toyos.

IMG_1142.jpg

And yes, they where originally called Rover 25 "Actives" alloys before going onto the MG cars to be called Hairpins.

Another sad bit of information in my brain.

Now if only I knew an RMSer who had a set and I hadn't deleted the message on Instagram ffs......

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
bit OTT but saw a newish MG yesterday and was amazed to see drum brakes on the rear!

/useless observation over
Pretty much all EV do, don't they? With the motors at the back doing regen braking they only need drums at the back for the parking brake basically?

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
Yep all the 3s are rear drums. Don't worry. The idlers fail on them so quick there's zero ling term chance of owning one accidentally.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
Some of the forum users may know I've a small enthusiast Rover based YouTube channel where I fix things, break things or chat about Rover's in general.

Well recently I passed 1500 Subscribers! And to celebrate I'm doing a big give away.

Just follow the link below, watch the video and you could win a complete mtec brake system for your Rover / MG or Mini R50.

That's right, brand new discs and pads, front and rear (where applicable). A pretty decent prize, with free delivery also for uk & Ireland residents.

Click the link in my main profile, below or search "Robson Rover Repair" on you tube.

Best of luck folks!