My new Italian Project - Alfa 159 Ti

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I said I wasn’t going to do another thread but stuff it, just going to try my best to ignore the detractors and the nay-sayers on here.

So anyway, my latest project is a 2008 Alfa 159 Ti with the same 1.9 diesel engine as the Vectra C.

I haven’t driven the car yet as it has no MOT having lay up for over a year and needing a brave bit of work, but I’m already in love with it!

I’ve always fancied these cars, especially after a similar model was used in James Bond: Quantum of Solace (I’m a massive Bond fan btw), so this is as close to a Bond car as I’m ever likely to get lol.

These cars are just beautiful from every angle.

Being the Ti it has full black leather seats, fronts are heated, 19” wheels, Brembo front brakes (as standard), full electrics etc…

IMG_0911.jpeg
IMG_0919.jpeg
IMG_0920.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
First thing it needed was a set of tyres, so it was put up on axle stands whilst I’d the wheels away.

IMG_0930.jpeg

Whilst it was up and after I’d done a bit of research I started looking round it. Found it needed rear shocks and springs, and as it already had Eibach’s fitted (found a receipt in the folder) I decided to replace like for like.

IMG_1066.jpeg

Now, I admit it looks crusty, so I then started poking around. This wheel arch is solid so I cleaned it up, applied some rust converter before then applying liberal coats of primer followed by Waxoil.

IMG_1069.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
The drivers side was as clean. It needed a wee patch welding and I had also found that the car needed two sills.

I’d priced with a few folk and was getting what I thought were ridiculous quotes, except from a couple of friends, but I didn’t fancy driving it to them and I was trying to keep any money spent for parts rather than transportation costs, so I bought a Parkside flux core welder and started to have a go myself.

Bearing in mind I haven’t used a MIG welder since I did my mechanical apprenticeship 27years ago, so I don’t think my efforts are too bad so far.

The wheel arch was definitely a (re)learning curve lol. Doesn’t look pretty but is solid and functional:
IMG_1078.jpeg

And once the rest was cleaned, it was the same process, rust converter, primer and waxoil

IMG_1080.jpeg

After that I moved my attention to the drivers sill…

IMG_1072.jpeg

The side skirts hid a great deal lol. Although the exposed bits under the skirts were as soft as me thinking about a naked Maggie Thatcher!!

So much so I was able to put my finger up through the sill in places!

Ordered a pair of sills and then set about cutting and welding. Again, not pretty but functional and solid and will be hidden by the skirts.

IMG_1126.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Storm Babet stopped play at this point, so I moved inside and removed the factory radio
IMG_0912.jpeg

And replaced it with my Sony double din with Apple Car Play

IMG_0925.jpeg

Oh and I’ve just remembered that I had also replaced the front downpipe as the original flexi was broken

IMG_1040.jpeg

And I also repaired a broken headlight mount with my plastic welding kit

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1021.jpeg

And that’s us up to date with the progress so far. Will hopefully get onto the passenger side sill this week.
nice choice! big fan of these!!

especially the ti - wheels are superb. if painting bright silver would be lovely!
My wife and I actually prefer the charcoal they’re in. We think it makes the whole package look much meaner!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Had the 155 and 156 but when I first drove a 159, I really didn't like the way it drove or the dash. I wanted to like it tbh but maybe it was just that one. A chap I was sharing a house with in Bristol for a year or so had a 2.0 diesel ti sportwagon and it seemed better.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
Had the 155 and 156 but when I first drove a 159, I really didn't like the way it drove or the dash. I wanted to like it tbh but maybe it was just that one. A chap I was sharing a house with in Bristol for a year or so had a 2.0 diesel ti sportwagon and it seemed better.

i always fancied a sportwagon 159

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Love it @Blackie, and can we just take a moment to acknowledge my genius….. 😂

IMG_6889.jpeg

Would not have thought these had 19’s, alfa wheels are without doubt the best looking for me, so many nice designs.

Mackers91

RMS Regular
Good mate of mine had the 2.4 210bhp one of these sounded great for a diesel and shifted well! Loved how comfy it was they just eat up miles. One of the best looking saloons imo.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Love it @Blackie, and can we just take a moment to acknowledge my genius….. 😂

View attachment 414612

Would not have thought these had 19’s, alfa wheels are without doubt the best looking for me, so many nice designs.
Yea I thought you’d blown my cover there with that one ya git! lol.

I agree, this is the only car I’m gonna be happy with the factory option wheels on!

In fact most of the car is pretty much spot on in terms of styling.

Plans are to finish its MOT prep, then maybe stick on an aftermarket grill, wrap some of the chrome at the front black to make it even meaner more aggressive looking and maybe see if I can get a Guilia type spoiler for the boot lid

IMG_1135.png

Maybe down the line stick a twin exhaust on her as well, but that’ll be it for the exterior.

I’ll be doing a small boot build in her too and maybe upgrade the door speakers.

Lee

RMS Regular
Lovely machine. I like the interior, certainly much more exotic looking than a Vectra.

I didn't realise they rotted so bad, but you've strengthened it up well!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Lovely machine. I like the interior, certainly much more exotic looking than a Vectra.

I didn't realise they rotted so bad, but you've strengthened it up well!
Apparently they skimped on the rust proofing in Italy, an Alfa thing apparently lol.

The Ti and TBi models of these rot worse than the others due to the side skirts which hold a lot of the crap against the sill and in some part due to the way the skirts are fitted and a lack of suitable weather proofing.

Water gets in behind the skirt, runs into the upper clip holes and gets inside the sill causing them to also rot from the inside out.

Alfa must have realised this was a possible issue and have fitted grommets every 6 inches on the lower part of the sill for what I presume is drainage purposes?

Once I’ve these new ones finished and painted, I’ll be filling the sills with cavity wax using said grommets!

Before fitting the drivers side I had applied two coats of primer to the inside of the sill panel, and to the inner sills and the cavity in an attempt to try and future proof it.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Beautiful mate, the Italians really know how to make a good looking car.

I think dechroming the mirrors and it would be sitting perfect but looking forward to seeing what you do.

billyboker

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus
I love the 159 love them in red i see the italian rust problems have not gone away. Hope it sails the MOT.

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
When you refit the side skirts leave out the last grommet towards the rear and let gravity do its thing. My Touareg had 3 grommets along the bottom of the sills that were supposed to drain water but they didn’t. I left the rear grommet off and never had a problem water ingress( in that area) again