My New Motor: Lotus Evora

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
So the 335d is gone, and as much as I love my Saab 9-3 Sports Wagon (and I really do like it), there was a plan afoot for something for weekend and perhaps some track days.

I'd been out in @Marc's M135i, and was hugely impressed with both the driving dynamics and grunt with a simple map. With second hand prices sensible for a 3 year old example it was the logical step from the E92. Or so I thought.

However, in one of those many read loads of pistonheads/evo/jalopnik/random internet car articles (likely when supposed to be doing something else), I found myself reading a buyers guide for the Lotus Evora. Of course the next stop was AutoTrader for a good nosey. Of course there was one not 15 minutes from my front door. Took myself down to the dealers purely to kick the tyres, or so I thought...

Back in 2009 I was heading back on the Birkenhead ferry with the Nissan S14 drift car. The ferry was packed and we shared a table with another bloke and got stuck into our dinner. We of course were chatting about the drifting at Snetterton that weekend, and the chap across the table is suddenly intrigued. He tells us he's just been to Hethel, Lotus HQ, collecting one of the very first Lotus Evoras from the production line.

IMG_0160.JPG

Check it out - there it is behind my drift entourage in blurry blue glory. The same car, I'm fairly sure, that I was test driving October past. One local owner and registered within days of when I took that photo. It was a sign.

A sign that I was about to blow my budget out of all proportion. Now the car was considerably more than both an M135i and my budget. I couldn't get it out of my mind though. The way it looked and drove was like nothing else in my varied history of driving.

IMG_2996.JPG

It had the surreal hands-to-road connection that is only found in the likes of an Elise, but unlike it's sibling was comfortable, had carpets, a heater that worked and a radio you could hear. Clearly. And so, so great to look at. The BMW wasn't getting a look in.

The next months were spent prepping the 335d for sale, researching these hand built cars and contemplating if I had the swingers to take out a loan to bridge the gap from my 'M135i Budget'.

IMG_2987.JPG

How could I not buy it? Just look at it! Man maths swiftly took over. It has Recaros, Bilsteins, Alpine sounds and AP brakes out of the box for goodness sake.

The 335 didn't go until after Christmas, but neither did the Evora. Fate stepped in again and it needed an alarm module which was on back order with Lotus. I did the deal and picked her up last week, and popped along to the Cars at the Mill show this morning in it.
IMG_2991.JPG

Needless to say many smiles per miles. This particular car is a Launch Edition 'LE', of only 250 were manufactured by Lotus as the first cars to come off the line in 2009, fully loaded with all option packs.

That includes leather trimmed dash, Alpine Imprint double din head unit / amp / reversing camera, ambient lighting pack, leather trimmed door cards and sills (which are particularly wide and I'll give off at you if you catch your feet on them!)
IMG_3003.JPG

It also has the sports pack, which has the uprated cross-drilled discs, and the sports button which has a better map/higher rev limit. Lotus sourced a Toyota 3.5 v6 unit producing just shy of 300bhp for the launch cars (they released a supercharged car a few years later), and despite it's initial use in the Camry, it sounds spectacular in the considerably smaller Evora.

There are back seats, although they are only useful for storage, small children or the dog! Behind that the engine is shoehorned in over the rear axle, and a token gesture of a boot behind that.

Behind the drivers seat it's comfy, quiet, there's cruise control, electric windows and mirrors and carpet! Elise owners scream sacrilege , sure, but you could drive for long distances with ease in this.

Anyway, I'll be getting a proper photographer to take some proper photos but I'm intending to get this out to a lot of our local events!

Andy

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Well that is just fantastic! Not really sure what else to say!!

They just a 2 seater?

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Wow. Just wow. An awesome machine and fair play to you for having the clangers to daily it!

Can't wait to see it up close.

Health to enjoy boss!

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Well that is just fantastic! Not really sure what else to say!!

They just a 2 seater?
Mine is a 4 seater but there is very little space back there!

Wow. Just wow. An awesome machine and fair play to you for having the clangers to daily it!

Can't wait to see it up close.

Health to enjoy boss!
Cheers! I plan to 'dry day' daily it for a while at least.

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
Quicker than you would think and really really good brakes. I got a really good far away look at it and then one very close up look a short time later.
Nice car, nice colour. Hope it didn't break the bank too much!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Very special. Couldn't tell you the last time I saw one of these on the road anywhere, never mind here.

Seemed really nicely built and something you could stick a few miles on without being absolutely broken by the journey ***cough*** perfect Nurburgring fodder ***cough***

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.