My RB26 260Z Project

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
You will never be able to start it for fear of anything getting dirty 😇
Lucky I am an expert in keeping them clean.

I was thinking more about the manifolds. This thing makes a ton of heat and I'd love to go with the lagging, but I can't really justify an extra £900 right now, and because of nut and socket access it would need to be left thin in quite a few areas I am not sure I will go this route.

But I was thinking of doing one in Zircotec and one in Cerakote Glacier. Then I have the perfect test bed for it. What are the thoughts on this? I will be able to measure surface temperature differences and see how they perform.

thumbnail_IMG_8065.jpg

Last edited:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Finished work on this for now, few more very minor details to sort out, but its mostly there:

This part is technically a downgrade, going back to OEM. The upgrade works good and means the clocking of the turbo does not need to be so precise, but I think it doesn't look as tidy, so back to the hardpipe.

thumbnail_IMG_8084.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8967.jpg

I required a few hose clamps in this style, so I ordered some in black to save me doing them. Turns out that is a bad idea, the finish is terrible, so I ended up doing them myself anyway.

thumbnail_IMG_8881.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8917.jpg

Worth doing all the clips in black, much stealthier look. And of course they won't rust out

thumbnail_IMG_8340.jpg

Still love my wiring harness, so neat and well labeled

thumbnail_IMG_8339.jpg

This is why we test fit:

Some modification required to fit with the new manifolds
thumbnail_IMG_8152.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8153.jpg

Turbo side looks great:

thumbnail_IMG_8186.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8471.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8189.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8908.jpg

Test fitting complete, missing the heatshields, but a lot of the manifolds are hidden anyway, so hopefully I won't miss seeing those Tomei manifolds too much.

thumbnail_IMG_8954.jpg

My new sump I drew up a few months ago is looking great and should be completed by Brookfab @PeteMoore quite soon. I have stripped the turbo side down again for coating of the manifolds, once they are ready I'll build that side permanently with all gaskets and everything torqued to spec. The plenum side will stay loosely fitted until test fit confirmation in the bay.

WhatsApp_Image_2024-01-26_at_14.27.50_dd9938a2.jpg

Old sump was not bad, but this is a big upgrade in many areas and is now as good as you can make a wet sump.

WhatsApp_Image_2024-01-26_at_14.27.50_8e140236.jpg

So, this is as complete as it will get for now, save for a few minor details.

thumbnail_IMG_8344.jpg

Its such an impressive thing and has so much presence, I often find myself just staring at it and feeling amazed, its a true dream build for me. Many years ago I'd have been in awe of similar things with other peoples builds and hoping that one day I could do the same but thinking it may never happen.

Last edited:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
You need to stick that in a cabinet, work of art 😎
I would like it. But this model will have to do. It is a work of art. Unfortunately this is the only kind of art I am good at.

mod.jpg

Or just build a spare.... then have a similar spec 2JZ as company so it doesn't get lonely
Not likely, bit pricey, if I sold my daily, and my EF Civic and my cafe racer that might just about pay for a fully built RB

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I consider 240Z and 260Z to be the same.

I like the fender flares, but glad I opted not to go this way in the end. Most resto mod Datsuns have them, nice to be different and more of a sleeper.