My RB26 260Z Project

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Got ya a number for sammy Reid, will WhatsApp ya it

Have you considered Resto Shack if you're looking across the water? Seem to put out some good work.

Resto Shack
Looks worth checking out, thanks.

All I want is a good job and not a half assed metal repair layered with filler. So I'm wiling to go to England if thats what it takes.

Considering acid dipping and then ecoating, that would mean the bodyshop having to be in England as they dip, repair metal, dip again and then e-coat. Adds about £3k to the cost but might be worth it, e-coat will get inside every panel where no spray gun could.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Why are you doing a full restoration again after the body work done previously at AG?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Do Not acid dip the shell !!!
Ask @KeithRobinson
I have heard of the problems but I believe that was mainly if any acid gets trapped (holes need drilled in various places to allow draining) I guess the problem is you can never be sure it all gets drained. Although I would have thought the E-Coat dip would solve most issues inside the frame.

Why are you doing a full restoration again after the body work done previously at AG?
Well, the engine bay needs done again due to the crash, and since there is minor rust on the inside of the engine bulkhead I didn't want to have it sprayed again only to need done a third time in a number of years. The body appears to be rust free so its only that and a few repairs to the floor pans that would be needed but it would be good to be happy that the whole car is rust free from bare. It was Actually Alans idea to do the whole car from bare, I just wanted it repaired, but that was over a year ago and now Alan is really busy, if only I had known I would have just had it repaired and saved for a resto and a suitable person to do so and I would be driving it already. But its gone too far now and it only makes sense to complete a bare metal respray at this stage.

Its still possible to just bare metal the inside and underneath and just sand and respray the rest of the body if thats what needs done, just blast the parts that need it and make do with the rest.

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
What eager said... There is a MK2 rally prep place out on the shinny road, foot of the mountain, don't have a number but would be worth you landing up and walking in to get a feel for the place, I was up there asking directions a few years back and they were doing some real tidy stuff to a historic rally car.... Worth a visit to see what you think and if he would be good for it?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Can't wait to get the engine back in, but its still a long way off.

IMG_6667.jpg

Shell is currently stripped of everything bar the suspension needed for it to roll and the glass (not photographed). Had fun getting the engine out, tried with a balance bar and the gearbox attached, but thats a no go, at least I know for future work that the gearbox definitely has to be off for putting the engine in or out.

IMG_6670.jpg

So I've got some options for the work, I can use Heaney Motor Company or David Marshall Restoration, am leaning slightly more towards David but what I'm actually aiming for is to take the car to England and have Resto Shack do the work. I think they do great work and I'm sure the car would come back from them perfect.

Its not going to be cheap though, I mean, I could almost buy myself an Aristo V300 Vertex daily driver for the extra cost going with Resto Shack over David. So its balancing if its worth it to have the Datsun better than new. Also they won't be able to start the work until March/April next year, which isn't a big deal, I've waited so long I can wait a bit longer for that perfect job and I can't afford it right now anyhow. If I go with David then work could be completed several Months before that and put the extra money to rewiring the interior loom and new wheels and its not as if David would do a bad job, he did some turn around on this Mini.

I'm disappointed I'll likely not have time to do any work myself, other than metal work and welding I'd be happy to do any of the rest myself and actually enjoy it.

26757215_1533546056733156_8183963394242656146_o.jpg

12122511_885997488154686_4013151469098624847_n.jpg

20180826_151400.jpg

Does anyone know a good option for getting the shell over to England? Is it a matter of hiring a car trailer, finding an appropriate tow vehicle and taking it over on the ferry or is there a better option?

Can't decide whether to go with a black finish underneath the car, same finish as in the front wheels wells:

DSCF9998.jpg

Or whether to go with a body coloured underside with only the arch areas black:

Body%20coloured%20underneath.jpg

Heres confirmation that the carbon bonnet definitely needs painted, just doesn't work at all with the car:

IMG_6675.jpg

IMG_6674.jpg

IMG_6672.jpg

Last edited:

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
@EF Ian I know the fella that owns that mini, doesn’t live far from me and actually seen it on the road the other day :joy:

Also follow David Marshall on facebook

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's some undertaking you've started, but it's what we do for the love of it(y)

As for underside, depends what you plan to use the car for.

If it's just going to be trailered to shows then go with body colour, etc.

If it's actually going to be used and driven then go with a proper underseal that will protect the metal work and will withstand getting blasted by road debris.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
That's some undertaking you've started, but it's what we do for the love of it(y)
Yeah, and its scary how far off it is from complete and how much work is left.

As for underside, depends what you plan to use the car for.

If it's just going to be trailered to shows then go with body colour, etc.

If it's actually going to be used and driven then go with a proper underseal that will protect the metal work and will withstand getting blasted by road debris.
As I am sure you can tell, I like my cars for driving. I will never own a trailer queen, don't see why you would want to keep a car so super clean you put mirrors below it and win every concourse event if you are never actually able to drive it, just not for me.

No, it will be well sealed underneath with the best product on the market, but it can be tinted body colour, so the only choice I need to make is whether black is better than blue, either will work but If I'm going all out I might as well make the right choice. Whatever colour I use it will have a light coat of clear over it to make it easy to clean as it works so well on my front wheel arches.

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
Body coloured would be the ticket, I know how much a deep clean until you are reunited with it means, so go blue and admire it every time you clean it.

As for the bodywork, it's going to be above average either way. I'd go with David. But if it doesn't go with him and you need it sent to England, you've plenty of mates that'll tow it over for you if you cover the costs

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Never realised there was tinted underseal, only the mechanic ever sees the underside after all - or at least you would hope you never see it in normal use :innocent:

If there is nothing in it then get it body colour just because you will know even if nobody ever sees it :cool:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
If you are going that far it would be a shame not to have it body coloured IMO.
Body coloured would be the ticket, I know how much a deep clean until you are reunited with it means, so go blue and admire it every time you clean it.
I think you are right, its just that bit more special. I will still have the wheels arches done black as I don't like the paint standing out in there from behind the wheels.

As for the bodywork, it's going to be above average either way. I'd go with David. But if it doesn't go with him and you need it sent to England, you've plenty of mates that'll tow it over for you if you cover the costs
We'll see, Ideally I would use Resto Shack just because I then know I can expect every part of the car to be perfect but its just so much more expensive, I mean just to get the car there and back again I am sure I am looking at £800-£1000 which is a lot to take away from things which could go into the car. The thing is though I'll have this car for a very long time and I don't want to regret not doing everything I can at this stage. I'll just have to see how my finances work out before deciding.

Never realised there was tinted underseal, only the mechanic ever sees the underside after all - or at least you would hope you never see it in normal use :innocent:

If there is nothing in it then get it body colour just because you will know even if nobody ever sees it :cool:
Well, I'm the mechanic so I'll see it, and if it makes it more special to me then its all good. I like my car to look clean everywhere, even the hidden places, just not at the expense of not driving it.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
So, I should be booking this in with Resto Shack this week but I am having trouble committing, I expect including transport there and back and adding some extra to the quote and including VAT it could cost up to £20k. Its so much money to me I have to question myself, sure I want the car right, perfect would be the desired outcome but £20k would finish my garage project and driveway or some garage work and a nice practical daily driver.. Or money for the future next project. However I can't leave it the way it is so I have to spend something on it, would I be annoyed with myself in the future if I don't go all out now?

I'd probably need about £3k once it done to get a new sump made, do some wiring work and pay Sean @ SMD to help me get the engine back in again without ruining the new paint. Although I'm not 100% on using him as if I can find somewhere to use with a lift for two days and get a friend to help I can manage it myself and save money.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
What would it be worth when completed? You've gone too far not to finish it IMO. Also seen YouTuber Baron von Grumble bought a lovely one of these

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
What would it be worth when completed?
Its hard to put a price on it, never thought about it as I have never had the intention to sell it, its worth what someone will pay for it, due to the nature of what it is it might be possible that someone would pay £100k for it, but finding the right buyer for that money is highly unlikely. I don't think I would let it go for less than £75k after its complete again.

You've gone too far not to finish it IMO
Yeah, I have to complete it, I miss it and need to be driving it again, but I can do so for at least £6k less if I can accept a slightly less advanced standard of finish.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Answer this question - not to us, none of us matter or have any say what so ever and you should pay no attention at all to any of us.

But to yourself.

Out of all the things you could spend 20k on, which would make you happier?

Make a list and think about it, 20k is a ****load in anyone's book.

The answer will tell you what to do.

I imagine most have been there, whether it's thinking about a new car, or doing work on the house, or a big holiday, or the size of a wedding, or just pouring bucket-loads into something that has no meaning or value to anyone else but does to ourselves.

All assuming of course that you have the funds and don't need to get into debt and all that. Then it's a different equation.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
What does the £20k actually consist of? Is it just the repaint and fix the poor areas in the engine bay that you’ve mentioned? Or is there more involved?

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
The effort you've put into the car already, you should finish it. It might not be to as high a standard as you say, but it would be satisfactory to you obviously. And judging by this thread (from memory) it won't be half assed! You finish it, to your standard. It might take longer, but will be easier on the pocket. I would feel more satisfaction if it was me.

I never realised the price of these things!

andy.

RMS Regular
Drives
MKVI GTI
Finish it, you seem like the type of person wants it perfect. If you don’t make it perfect you’ll regret it.

Alternatively finish the garage and then do as much of the build yourself as possible.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
To be honest, I'm not sure if you and I would take a similar point of view but when it's completed I would be more worried about wasting 14k on something I wasn't 100% on as opposed to wasting an extra 6k on something that I was so passionate about and into.

But as said above its a lot of additional money to be playing with that could be better used elsewhere