YItO02kw.jpeg

NExiDSpQ.jpeg

c1yyEE1w.jpeg

TYAxTJAg.jpeg

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Bloody good is an understatement they are absolutely out standing in the work and detail they get into.

Hands down this is the best build thread on here and the updates keep getting better and better.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Outstanding work!

It's amazing the amount of filler and dodgy repairs hiding under there too... Anyone buying old cars, beware!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Wouldn't necessarily say the repairs are dodgy. Just old. And then corroded after that

I'd say a lot of what goes on in some bodyshops today could be deemed dodgy too yet not a word said. Once it's covered with paint, nobody knows ( unless its a green M3 diesel 5 door estate )

And I'd also say there is a lot far worse done in perfectly normal cars getting welded for MOT.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
They really are bloody good
They Sure are

Bloody good is an understatement they are absolutely out standing in the work and detail they get into.
Difference between a bodyshop and a restoration shop I guess.. (y) And then of course there are different levels of restoration shop so you still have to choose carefully, looks like I chose well..

It's amazing the amount of filler and dodgy repairs hiding under there too... Anyone buying old cars, beware!
If you buy a classic, buy a restored one only if you can see multiple photos of the restoration work before the filler stage, otherwise you might be better off buying a cheaper rusty but untouched one, at least you know what you are getting.

Wouldn't necessarily say the repairs are dodgy. Just old. And then corroded after that
I guess not dodgy in general, but dodgy for this level of car, not for a cheaper daily driver. There was little to know rust around a lot of the repairs, so I guess if you don't mind having some heavy filler in places then it would be ok.

I'd say a lot of what goes on in some bodyshops today could be deemed dodgy too yet not a word said. Once it's covered with paint, nobody knows ( unless its a green M3 diesel 5 door estate )
For sure, in some shops. But when you see the time required to properly and neatly repair metal you can understand that most people would not want to pay for the labour and are happy with a messy but sound metal repair covered with filler as most of the time it will be perfectly good enough and will look 100% on the surface. Like mine I guess, everyone that had seen this in the flesh pre blasting has said it was mint and wtf are you going to bare metal for.

And I'd also say there is a lot far worse done in perfectly normal cars getting welded for MOT.
Thats a given.

New Bumpers arrived, looks like I made the right choice going with chromed stainless over polished stainless.

245723831_308760307412904_27115734551402009_n.jpg

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Outstanding work!

Interestingly and not to hijack Ian's thread too much. A friend of mine (I believe Ian knows him too) had a Datsun which had some very interesting repairs carried out in America.

40380040_10156871279857269_4349163551277973504_n.jpg

Looked amazing, after I took it to the sand blasters for him, not so much.

120743991_399299794803518_2354810826057180861_n.png

120654759_685877155381548_6834698119498448002_n.png

120668776_254814542553258_8902923216266166740_n.png

120760561_2801000553557823_3328716694092423875_n.png

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Yes, Liams discovery was tragic, no coming back from that kind of problem, kudos to him for keeping on with the build, albeit with a new shell. Its certainly the far cheaper option.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
That bulkhead/tunnel repair is an interesting one ? Unless it has some massive flywheel/trans failure that blew it up at some point

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I hope all the cavities etc are treated with something pretty serious to prevent any rust from the inside out before any final closure ?

And it spends it's life in a heated garage. So much work to go through, to allow any risk of rust coming back.

Although that said, when I was stripping back some of mine last year due to rust, some of the internal parts that are totally inaccessible otherwise, were actually still bare metal, and still clean. Just totally sealed from outside influences from new, but not actually painted or treated.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I hope all the cavities etc are treated with something pretty serious to prevent any rust from the inside out before any final closure ?
All the areas where its possible to do so are sealed with zinc or/and epoxy before being sealed up. All internal areas are accessible with at least an injection wand and will be sealed with the latest tech in cavity wax.

And it spends it's life in a heated garage. So much work to go through, to allow any risk of rust coming back.
My garage isn't heated, I believe this is actually better for the cars in them if they are actually being used.

Although that said, when I was stripping back some of mine last year due to rust, some of the internal parts that are totally inaccessible otherwise, were actually still bare metal, and still clean. Just totally sealed from outside influences from new, but not actually painted or treated.
Yes, from factory a lot of these areas would not have been sealed.

Work on the drivers side door. It was pretty rotten. Door has been split, media blasted, zinc coated, rust all repaired, then primed inside and put and put back together.

kn9zsXiA.jpeg

HBwlab3c.jpeg

k1wZRjUQ.jpeg

tcs3t5lg.jpeg

XrC47gBg.jpeg

Tx2brh6A.jpeg

Vf5dVg4A.jpeg

2Yad0JjA.jpeg

7Ckt8bL4.jpeg

YgP5gqjE.jpeg

-dUzVm6s.jpeg

Mx5EFbQM.jpeg