My Subaru Impreza Type RA

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Well i bought this nearly two years ago but have never put up a thread. I had this and the mk2 together for a year trying to decide which one to keep and this one won that battle.

I got it in England with 31k and some nice brake and handling upgrades but standard engine and body thankfully. The RA is the car Subaru produced for homologation and came with no spoiler, no air con, no central locking, no electric windows etc. This combined with a lightweight bonnet and a short ratio gear box made it very fast out of the box. This one has been rolling roaded at 277bhp and has ran a 13.0 sec 1/4 mile.

It looked like this when I got it:

Before:
ra.jpg

I then set about upgrading certain elements of the car. It now sits on genuine STI shocks with STI pink lowering springs. It now has an STI accessories backbox which is a very rare item and sounds great. I sourced a set of Buddyclub P1's and painted them, the colour took me a while to decide on but looks great in the sun.

So this is how it looks now. The pictures have came out a bit dark but the last one shows off the wheel colour well.

Any comments welcome.

And today:

006-2.jpg

011-1.jpg

010-2.jpg

012-1.jpg

008.jpg

mk2driver

RMS Regular
OP
mk2driver
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Not yet, there are very few left like this and I am still at uni so limited funds. When I graduate next year it will be getting some upgrades and I will have it at 330bhp or so. Any more than that and the 5 speed is on a knife edge as to whether it lasts or not. Will be done on a proper turbo so will be really punchy as it is now but just pull that bit harder at higher revs.

Jason

RMS Regular
Yea mine was running around 330bhp on an Sti Turbo and all the other bits, it blew 5th gear after a harsh session lol and its impossible to replace that box.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
OP
mk2driver
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Yea mine was running around 330bhp on an Sti Turbo and all the other bits, it blew 5th gear after a harsh session lol and its impossible to replace that box.

Not impossible but difficult, been a couple for sale recently in England. Yeah, I will likely go a slightly different turbo route but will be the same sort of spec. They are a brilliant car to drive and even with standard power it would show a lot of cars with more power a clean pair of heels on a twisty road.

loud n low

RMS Regular
It needs a spoiler lad......even a wee small one,these type of cars look awfull with a bare arse :worried:

mk2driver

RMS Regular
OP
mk2driver
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Yeah realllly needs a spoiler , the ra came with a small spoiler , nice car

No they didn't. They could be specced with everything from air con to a spoiler and skirts but in factory standard trim they never had a spoiler. I love the spoilerless look, always have. Its also very rare to find an RA today that hasnt had a spoiler and skirts etc on it never mind one in this condition.

I appreciate though that most people wont like the lack of spoiler, even die hard Subaru fans, but its perfect for me

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
I thought Type RA's had a wee roof vent thing? Was in one a good few years back and was told it was an RA and only RA's came with them. No spoiler reminds me of all those 5c3n3 Scooby's and Evo's :worried:

mk2driver

RMS Regular
OP
mk2driver
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I thought Type RA's had a wee roof vent thing? Was in one a good few years back and was told it was an RA and only RA's came with them. No spoiler reminds me of all those 5c3n3 Scooby's and Evo's :worried:

The STI RA have a roof vent, the WRX RA didnt which is what this is. The other difference is the adjustable centre diff on the STI. I had a roof vent for this but decided not to fit it as it would ruin its originality and is irreversible due to the hole in the roof lol.

Yeah a lot of the USA Imprezas dont have a spoiler but they normally are also decked on 9" wide rims etc, mine has been set up with handling in mind. The lack of spoiler is one of those things that people love or hate normally. What I like about it to a certain extent, outside of looks, is that those that know Subarus really well will know what exactly what this car is. For everybody else it can cause some confusion and is actually one of those things that draws attention and a lot of questions about the car.

If I ever have it up in Belfast I will give you a shout, have a couple of wee roads nearby that I have shocked some people on with the handling.

Shaun

RMS Regular
Lovely car. Id keep it looking the exact same and just get a bit more power like you have planned.
Hard to get them in original condition these days.

Not all them did, think it was the early ones that didnt.

They come with black door handles which is usually a quick way to spot a type ra, although a lot of them get colour coded.(n)

mk2driver

RMS Regular
OP
mk2driver
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Lovely car. Id keep it looking the exact same and just get a bit more power like you have planned.
Hard to get them in original condition these days.

Not all them did, think it was the early ones that didnt.

They come with black door handles which is usually a quick way to spot a type ra, although a lot of them get colour coded.(n)

Yeah your half right, as said above STI RA got the roof vent. However there are more of them in the later cars and less WRX Type RA so more of the later RA's did have a roof vent due to being the STI version. (y)

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
i love it! different from the norm! im not big into subaru's didnt realise these came with no spoiler! i think your right keep it orginal apart from a bit of under bonnet mods but the outside is perfect for me lovely car mate! always fancied a scooby but the scary stories about mpg puts me off :confounded: never mind the insurance for me since only 23:p

RCT

RMS Regular
Nice to see an unmolested looking example :grinning:. What is the story with the gearboxes? Is it a problem to get the correct gear ratios to replace/rebuild the ones you chew or do they normally develop a velux window in the casing, making the box scrap? Or is it a case of people being to lazy to strip/ rebuild and wanting to put another box in and take their chance on it being ok, with no gears crunching?

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Looks a clean one, but does look very naaakid with no spolier lol

Kaner.eB

RMS Regular
Drives
CW DC5 !
Aww ok , never ever seen an ra without a spoiler hence why i thought they came with a small one .

Each to there own i suppose

mk2driver

RMS Regular
OP
mk2driver
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Nice to see an unmolested looking example :grinning:. What is the story with the gearboxes? Is it a problem to get the correct gear ratios to replace/rebuild the ones you chew or do they normally develop a velux window in the casing, making the box scrap? Or is it a case of people being to lazy to strip/ rebuild and wanting to put another box in and take their chance on it being ok, with no gears crunching?

The RA runs specific ratios hence why if something goes wrong they can be hard to find in order to fix. The early standard 5 speeds as in this just werent built for a lot of power and anything above 330-340bhp and your pushing it. Some survive fine and some don't but its one of those things.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
OP
mk2driver
Drives
Impreza Type RA
i love it! different from the norm! im not big into subaru's didnt realise these came with no spoiler! i think your right keep it orginal apart from a bit of under bonnet mods but the outside is perfect for me lovely car mate! always fancied a scooby but the scary stories about mpg puts me off :confounded: never mind the insurance for me since only 23:p

Yeah they arent great on the fuel, in this thing your talking 21mpg ish on average, its worth it for the smiles though! :laughing:

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Car looks well Stefan. New wheels suit, not so sure on the Sti fog covers though.

I imagine a genuine 300bhp would be more than enough in that car, IMO if a driver can use 300 to its full potential there won't be much need for any more power.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
OP
mk2driver
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Car looks well Stefan. New wheels suit, not so sure on the Sti fog covers though.

I imagine a genuine 300bhp would be more than enough in that car, IMO if a driver can use 300 to its full potential there won't be much need for any more power.

It came without lights or covers as they do. I think the hole looks like there is something missing and really dont like the lights in there, I think covers is the best thing for it.

Your right about a genuine 300bhp but if Im upgrading Im going to need an ECU and turbo anyway so I may as well go for the extra 30bhp as its so easy. Can always have multiple boost levels anyway.

C4L

RMS Regular
Looks nice man, personally the spoiler talk etc. I think is a load of balls, its different and stands out. Sure the amount of 1.6's etc with a friggin kit/spoiler etc... why would you bother :laughing:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.