My Ta23 Toyota Celica (build Thread)

slammed dub

RMS Regular
Drives
76 celica & 325i
as theres no project section ill post this in here. this is my long term rebuild project, a 1976 toyota celica ta23. ill keep you all updated as the build progresses

car arrives
022-1.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

before it came of the car transporter i started stripping the rest of the panels and grinding the paint back to the metal to check for rot.
001-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

DSCF2159.jpg

005-1.jpg

DSCF2582.jpg

DSCF2580.jpg

slammed dub

RMS Regular
OP
slammed dub
Drives
76 celica & 325i
engine came from australia. 1.6 16v rebored to a 1.8. fitted new lightened clutch and flywheel
cleaned it up and painted it.
004-2.jpg

001-Copy.jpg

003-Copy.jpg

002-Copy2.jpg

005-Copy.jpg

bit of work to the bonnet
001-Copy2.jpg

trial tested set of wheels
004-Copy3.jpg

lowering springs, poly bushes, new bearings and shocks
008.jpg

preview of the fabricating work
IMG00095-20110503-13021.jpg

IMG00096-20110503-16581.jpg

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooow got to love old skool jap cars. Looks great did you find the shell over here???

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Good man, glad you posted a thread,

Some work involved there, are you doing the fabricating yourself?
I cant trust myself to put a welder to a car shell lol

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Looking good mate, love these!! Was it you who was at mine that day with your mate trying the ATS wheels?

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Great to see another TA being saved, they are VERY rare now, and parts even more so...

I will post up pics of the one we had restored, made up from parts all over the world...

slammed dub

RMS Regular
OP
slammed dub
Drives
76 celica & 325i
thanks for the comments guys. i always wanted one of these for many years but every ta22 i went to find was gone way beyond repair but by pure fluke i come across this ta23 in the back of a man garage (semi-stripped) and the fella that owned it hadnt got time nor money to finish it so i bought it only to find that an original irish ta23 is rare as hens teeth. supposably there was only 3 known off but now 4 according to the guys on celicaireland site. hope that sort of answers your question lee

yeah coog the engine, 5spd box, lightened clutch and flywheel, 4brand, ignition leads, bushens, bearings, lowering springs and shocks all come from oz. only place to find parts easy enough.

andy - i can sort of weld, can patch holes and exhausts no problem but id just end up making a mockery of this car so it was left with a mate of jarlaths (mr mint), richard.. the man makes metal work look like art, he done such a great job on the celica that its near a shame to put paint on it lol. at the minute its finished fabrication so just needa gather the funds and get it lifted this week so ill post a few newer pics when she's home.

yeah gav that was me down with jarlath thon day. nice mx5 lad, looks well.

chris- get the pics up lad or even mail me them, any classic jap deserves beings seen lol :cool:

thanks I R and boydie

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Well it's nice to know you have a unique car on the roads cause I've never seen another one over here. Do the other fellas show theirs ?

slammed dub

RMS Regular
OP
slammed dub
Drives
76 celica & 325i
aye theres 2 lads on celicaireland that i no have them. sid has a black one and he sometimes goes to the shows, i no he was at ballymena car fest anyways, then theirs aiden, he has a ta22 but is nearly finished it for the roads

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
the fabircation is what i want to know about... were starting a sapporo project and need bits and pieces fabricated. have you a number for the fella or was it just a favour?
also what way are you going about the underneath?

slammed dub

RMS Regular
OP
slammed dub
Drives
76 celica & 325i
richard ya call the fella. was more or less taken on as a favour to my mate to be honest lad. i no he mentioned that he'd not take another one on cause he hasnt got the room for it (small double garage) and cant do any other work inthe garage. i no you'd like better news than that. is there much work to be done?

Tinners

RMS Regular
Drives
Forester S Turbo
I remember getting a look around a bronzey coloured one of these when I was a lot younger. Love them, really awesome looking car. Proper muscle car looks.

Jonny1992

RMS Regular
Drives
too much
that is some work youve done mate it will be amazing when its finished :grinning: out of curiosity was it hard to get the engine from australia

Rfg

RMS Regular
finally a decent proper build thread cant wait to see how it turns out!!!

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
yes, they do call it the baby japanese mustang... i hope my pics above give you more inspiration mate, beautiful cars