Nav Rally NI, 2016

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
It's nearly time for the Navigation rallies to start again. There is no championship in 2016 so each rally will be more geared towards beginner crews and will be a fun event in it's own right.

Navigation rallying is a great way for new competitors to try a very competitive motorsport with very minimal outlay.
Entry fees are usually only £20 and as navigation rallying takes place on open public roads no special car preparation is required, a standard road car will be perfect, and no extra safety gear needs to be bought. It is the best way to learn the basic skills that can be used in many different branches of motorsport like stage rallying and targa rallying.

The rallies are great fun and take place on Friday nights so they won't even interfere too much with your weekend. Don't be put off by not having done a rally before or not knowing anyone, we are a friendly bunch and everyone will be keen to see new faces out taking part and will give you any help you need.

Dungannon Motor Club will be running classes to show new crews the basic elements involved in navigation rallying starting 03 Feb 2016.
2016 Navigation Classes Start

If you cant make it to the classes we also have a handbook to guide you. The handbook is very detailed but in practice everything will come to you very quickly.
http://www.anicc.org.uk/Resources/Documents/Navigation Rallying Handbook i.pdf

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v

Hello everyone – welcome to the 2016 Tour of the Mournes Rally run by Rathfriland Motor Club.
There is no NI Navigation Rally Championship in 2016, and instead events are being run geared primarily for beginners and novices, of which this is the first.
We have created an event which has some special features for beginners – for instance there will be an additional halt in the first half to allow novice navigators to catch their breath.
The event is being run on a compact route around Rathfriland, and copies of the map required will be available for novice and beginner crews.
Expert and semi-expert crews can enter in their own class but will not be eligible for overall victory – that will go to a novice or beginner crew. We hope some experienced competitors will take the opportunity to take a novice navigator round for the event.
The Regulations & Entry Form are available now to download atwww.rathfrilandmotorclub.com

If you are not able to compete, why not marshal on the event?
Marshals are more than welcome, and you can always learn by watching crews compete. If you’re interested in marshalling (or know someone else who is) please contact Ashley Boulton on 07724 386 945.

Regs and Entry Form:

http://www.anicc.org.uk/Resources/Documents/20160205_RMC_TourOfTheMournes_RegsEntryForm.pdf

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
How'd the rathfriland event go?

Unfortunately Rathfriland didn't get enough entries to run their event, we think the time of year hurt them, too soon in the new year.

If you would like to take part in the next navigation rally you don't have long to wait as the Erne Safari Navigation Rally run by Enniskillen Motor Club is taking place in Irvinestown this Friday night, 19th February.
Regs and entry form: http://www.anicc.org.uk/Resources/Documents/20160219_EMC_ErneSafari_RegsEntryForm.pdf

EMC.jpg

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
We are full steam ahead now for the Erne Safari on Friday night. I have been talking to the club and the rally is definitely going ahead. There is still time to enter if you make contact with the organisers, regulations linked above.
It should be a great nights craic, I'm really looking forward to getting out rallying again.

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
Is there event insurance available like any other type of rally? Whats the normal costs per event?

Not going to lie, know absolutely nothing about these. I have a few questions. Is the navigator the important one in order to do well? Is driving skill (or lack of it) relevant? Is there any fast driving done or all is all a bit boring in that department? Can you explain how a normal event would run and how they work?

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
I'll try and answer a few questions for you. Ciaran will hopefully come along with some more info.

Event insurance is available, usually about £18 for it. Entry normally about £25.

The navigator is extremely important (I might be biased as I am one!). I'll try and explain a bit more about them. At the start of the night you are given map coordinates for each checkpoint through the night and normally what direction you will approach from. When you arrive at a checkpoint you are handed the instructions on how to get to the next checkpoint. So when you get to Point A you get the instructions on how to get to B, at B you get instructions to get to C and so on. If a 'stage' is 6 miles long you have 12 minutes to get to the next checkpoint (average 30mph). Each minute you are late you get 1 penalty, each minute you are early you get 2 penalties. Where the skill comes in and whether the driver will have to drive in a spirited fashion is in how quickly the navigator can plot the route to the next checkpoint. Sit for a while working it out and all of a sudden you only have 8 or 9 minutes. Plot something wrong and have to turn then again the driver needs to try and make the time up so you get in on time. On top of all this you have hidden controls along the route which also record the time you arrive so if you sit plotting for a while st the start you might get a few penalties for being late at first intermediary but could make it up by the final checkpoint! At the start I can guarantee the driver won't find it boring that's for sure!

A driver having skill will always help. Not the biggest factor but the roads are always brilliant and quite often used in rallying and I've never heard a driver not say they didn't have an absolute blast! Cheapest form of motorsport about with a friendly bunch of people always willing to help and guide.

You can start in class 4 where you'll get a very easy introduction into it, you don't even need a license for class 4 so you've nothing to loose, just get out there!

Hopefully that helps and doesn't put you off. Been at it a number of years now myself and they are great.

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
You may then see me at an event in the summer time then. sounds good. Why the struggle for entries though if its so cheap and everybody tends to enjoy it?

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Just so you know events finish in April and resume again in September.

That's a great question which we wish we could answer! Some events get loads of entries and the very next one only gets a handful for no obvious reason other than its being run in a different part of the country. For a navigator I guess the events can be a bit daunting at the start because there are certain techniques you need to know to work out the instructions but once you learn them it's very enjoyable for the navigator as well because without a good navigator you won't get anywhere and are a vital cog in the wheel!

It takes time to learn, you need a bit of patience and not to expect to win first time out, but if the navigator has some experience or has an understanding of map reading you will soon be up there. It's probably the only motorsport where the car really doesn't matter! We've competed and won our class in all sorts, from a 1.1 saxo to a 1.6 8v 106 rally car! Even did it in a clio 182 one night.

Last edited:

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
Entries should have already closed but they are still accepting entries.....so get one in! should be good fun!
I've emailed the club via their website. The old site had contact numbers, but they've all been removed from the new site.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I remember doing one of these with a mate years ago, maybe 1990 ish.
It was good fun even though we hadn't a clue and came last. We had a Austin Maestro, a digital Casio watch and a torch which I duct taped to my head for a map light. When we pulled up the end (a pub near Drumbo I think) everyone else seemed to have fancy computery things on the dash, map lights, cibies and race boots. It all looked quite serious. But a nice bunch of guys who made us feel welcome.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
@FAKER unless things have changed the only one of those you need is a warning triangle? Certainly was the case last year when we were competing. Haven't bothered going out this year as it's catered for class 3 and 4 and we won class 2 last year. Had considered swapping seats this year and me do the driving but never materialised! Hope to get back out at them next year if they run.

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
Skoda felicia will be doing her first outing (since being purchased over 6 months ago), hopefully I'll get out and do a Targa rally too.
20160618_164705-2.jpg

starletterry

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne, GT
The odd time you get asked for a spill kit but you can usually get away if you don't have one. Warning triangle you do need, no ok/sos boards required tho. Obviously a map light or head torch, selection of 2B pencils and a map board of some description.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.