Navigation Rallying 2022

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Finally we can get out into the back roads again for some night nav rallying!
Dungannon Motor Club are running their Snowdrop Rally in less than 4 weeks time on Friday 11th March.

Navigation rallying is as grass roots as motorsport get so if you have any ambitions to get involved in motorsport it is a great place to start.
Navigators can compete from 12 years old and you can start out in a standard road car.

Many top motorsport people both competitors and officials cut their teeth in navigation rally.
Our own forum member @swansty was running navigation rallies before he made his way up to running the Ulster Rally.
Toyota WRC navigator Aaron Johnston often talks about how important his grounding in navigation rallies was to his climb through the motorsport ranks.
Why not join them and start your motorsport story.

1644700222343.png

To help beginner crews get up to speed with how the rallies work Dungannon are running an information night the week before the rally.

1644701296686.png

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Reminder: 1 week to go until the rally navigation class.

Don't be put off by your inexperience. The people running the class and the rally will expect you to be coming to it fresh and to ask a lot of questions. If you want any advice or information feel free to post a question here, I'll be able to answer most things for you.

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
It's great craic.
My mate and I did it back in the late 80's in my Mum's bog standard Mini and his breathed on Austin Allegro 1480.
I think I only binned it the once, lol, and we won a few trophies for our efforts.

This is us with the 1986 UAC Rally School winners plate.

IMG_9477.JPG

Good to see it's still a thing!

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
It's great craic.
My mate and I did it back in the late 80's in my Mum's bog standard Mini and his breathed on Austin Allegro 1480.
I think I only binned it the once, lol, and we won a few trophies for our efforts.

View attachment 352684
1986, don't believe ya - sure it wasn't 1976? ;)

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
Nope, that's a 1980's jumper pattern all right.... :joy:
I'd hoped to encourage my youngest into this, but he's more interested in the show car circuit.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Nope, that's a 1980's jumper pattern all right.... :joy:
I'd hoped to encourage my youngest into this, but he's more interested in the show car circuit.
Given his talent for welding, I'm sure you're gutted he's not on a rally team doing the repairs ;)

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
It's great craic.

View attachment 352684
1480 Allegro? That sounds class tbh, plenty of suspension travel and a bit of power too.
Saw a post on fb the other night about a 1950cc Allegro (bored out 1750) competing on motoring news rounds in Wales and England in the 80's too. I'd love to do more of them but my nav has indicated retirement after our last event lol.

smb1

RMS Regular
Drives
golf gti
the words allegro and class shouldn’t be in the same sentence 😂

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
An acquired taste I'll admit, my dad had a 1977 1500HL as a company car. The 1500 was a great engine that was smooth and quiet with reasonable power with added bonus of a 5 speed gearbox, compared to the Viva HC that had gone before. My cousin had an Allegro3 1500 twin carb which went very well and handled pretty well and finally I had a Maestro 1600 which was based on the old 1500 with added twin 40 DCNF's.

So, yeah, was infected with the BL tat bug early on..

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
An acquired taste I'll admit, my dad had a 1977 1500HL as a company car. The 1500 was a great engine that was smooth and quiet with reasonable power with added bonus of a 5 speed gearbox, compared to the Viva HC that had gone before. My cousin had an Allegro3 1500 twin carb which went very well and handled pretty well and finally I had a Maestro 1600 which was based on the old 1500 with added twin 40 DCNF's.

So, yeah, was infected with the BL tat bug early on..
To be fair once you get out of parroting Clarkson/Top Gear, a lot of BL stuff was pretty good (when the workers and unions weren't trying to destroy it).

Certainly better than a lot of the equivalent Ford stuff (then again most things are).

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
^ This, we had a Mk4 cortina after the Allegro and it only had a 4 speed box and the rear axle was only vaguely connected to the rest of the car. The cortina wouldn't have seen what way the allegro went down a b-road. Did my test in the Cortina but never lusted after one.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Good luck to everyone taking part in the navigation rally tonight. Great to see a few new names on the entry list.
Be interesting to see if anyone gets round on a zero or will the rust from the lay off catch a few people out.

1647021330387.png

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
The next navigation rally is coming up very quickly on the Friday 25th March.
It is the NMK Motors Navigation and Tests Rally run by Cookstown Motor Club.

Regs:

Entry Form:

andy9201

RMS Regular
Are there any events this side of Christmas or does the season not start until spring? Have done a few in the past and would like to get back into it again.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Nope unfortunately, Dungannon had a Moonraker event set for Friday night but it was cancelled / postponed. Sounded like it would have been a good event. That looks like the only possibility this side of Christmas if it runs.

I have no nav any more but I'm trying to coax my son into it if I can.