Navigational Rallying 2019

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

starletterry

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne, GT
A new year has come upon us and already two months have passed. For the night nav season usually the first event is the Erne Safari Rally in Enniskillen. Due to unforeseen circumstances this has been postponed for later on in the year.

This means that the first event of 2019 will be the Moore and Faloon Snowdrop Rally ran by Dungannon Motor Club.

This event is taking place this Friday 8th March with the start and finish at the Dungannon Rugby Club.

Entries close this evening at 18:00 on rallyscore.net and already there is a record 35 entries. This event was cancelled last year due to lack of entries!!

It has also been said that this event will be 100% navigation with no lanes/tests during this event.

It has been geared towards beginners and the students of the Dungannon Rally School.

Saying that there is entries in all classes from 1 (Expert) through to 5 (total beginners and non-rally students).

Hopefully the weather is favourable and this turns into a good event.

mightymetro

RMS Regular
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
Great event last night - navigation pitched just right I thought (Dungannon generally nail it), not too tough, but the roads made up for it especially given the weather before the start - great challenge for the drivers.

Brilliant to see so many crews out, it would be fantastic if the night nav championship restarted. The incentive to link participation in the night nav to priority entry to the Dungannon Targa seems to have worked a treat.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I did the event for a couple of reasons. One is that I've always wanted to try one as a driver, I did one many years ago as a navigator but it wasn't great due to lack of prep on my part. Never got back into it and never did another one until Friday night. The secondary reason was to get an entry to the Targa because it is generally a scramble to get an entry due to it being such a good event in the calendar. I like to support the clubs whenever I can and the DMC are definitely in tune with what the competitors want.
We did the nav school and this was my navs first taste of navigating at night. We had some trouble finding TCD and some confidence was lost in the nav seat although he was doing great overall. Great lanes and great to do something different.
20190308_210958.jpg

mightymetro

RMS Regular
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
I did the event for a couple of reasons. One is that I've always wanted to try one as a driver, I did one many years ago as a navigator but it wasn't great due to lack of prep on my part. Never got back into it and never did another one until Friday night. The secondary reason was to get an entry to the Targa because it is generally a scramble to get an entry due to it being such a good event in the calendar. I like to support the clubs whenever I can and the DMC are definitely in tune with what the competitors want.
We did the nav school and this was my navs first taste of navigating at night. We had some trouble finding TCD and some confidence was lost in the nav seat although he was doing great overall. Great lanes and great to do something different.
View attachment 227798

You were car 19 then! Think you might have had some fun trying to tail TSN but the mini was the right tool for those roads on the night given the conditions. Yous were really clean up to TCD as you say, your nav should take kudos and stick at it - I've had many an absolute stinker in the left seat, our result in Friday was completely out of left field! Class 2 next time ..

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Were you in the left hand seat of TSN then? Well done if so, It was a nice flowing set of roads that we were behind you on, hope we didn't get too close or dazzle you with our candles lol. Bit too much weight in the car cause a fair bit of diff guard contact on some of the narrower lanes around Tynan so we backed off plus we knew we had gathered a load of penalties after TCD so no point in thrashing around annoying people. I think I need a quieter exhaust for navs than the lanes, and some spots, and a trip, and, and, and....:monkey:

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Disappointed I didn’t get out on Friday night, I see class two had a reasonable entry too. Unfortunately with so few running recently the guy I sit with got rid of the car so we’d nothing suitable! Hopefully they pick up again as they’re a great Friday nights craic

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I've not put an entry in because I'm doing 3 auto tests this month plus the DMC nav so I'm skirting with a 'lock-changing event' as it is...:monkey:

Also, the A29 Targa last year was a bit odd too with tests that resembled badly laid out auto tests. I'm a bit wary of what we would get on the night but apparently it will be a mix of navigation and special tests. Sounds good and I hope it turns out to be a good event.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.