NC500

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Off the boat Friday morning, bedlam traffic etc but make it to Inverness for the night via Loch Lomond, Loch Lochy, Fortwilliam, Loch Ness,Tyndrum and Glencoe.

Lovely little harbour north of Inverness.
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG

Onwards to John O'Groats.

DSC_0019.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0022.JPG

Somewhere after Bettyhill - the singletrack is fairly fast on the bits with decent view. Otherwise you end up with a face full of dozy German in a campervan.

DSC_0024.JPG

Go home Garmin, you're drunk.

1656883.png

Many many many miles later, Lochinver was home for the night.

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
Stunning single track outside Lochinver + Loch Gowan

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

Same day but not sure where this is, I do however remember instinctively giving a couple a friendly wave only to discover the woman only had one arm.. Anyway, moving on
DSC_0009(1).JPG

Cut the day short and took an extra unplanned boat from Armadale - Mallaig. Saved me a load of miles and luckily on the other side the sun appeared again.

DSC_0015(1).JPG

Miles upon miles of amazing singletrack later and chasing the reserve light for much longer than I normally would (the cap hissed!) I discovered the joys of nearly 1.43L in Strontian, the view though.

DSC_0020.JPG

Quick spin to Lochaline for the ferry to Mull, Made such good progress with the miles earlier in the morning that I actually made both boats for the day, early! I was worried there would be minutes to spare if even that. If you've got kids, I need say no more...

DSC_0023.JPG

Back down the road to Hotel-Spa for the night. Quick swim in the empty pool then the usual steam/sauna/jaquzzi before dinner...

Mull venison burger, with bacon and cheddar + fat chips.. DIVINE!

DSC_0027.JPG

Washed down with an Isle of Jura 10yo and a Bowmore 12yo, mixed as I'm a lightweight. @j44nty (y)

DSC_0029.JPG

Leaving Mull this morning on the 7:30.

DSC_0031.JPG

Second visit in days to Tyndrum via one of those "shiiitttttt hot" runs over Glencoe..

DSC_0033(1).JPG

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Brilliant!!
We are going over in July to do a tour of the west coast, mull, skye and up to JOG.

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
Brilliant!!
We are going over in July to do a tour of the west coast, mull, skye and up to JOG.
Pre-book any boats you can with Caledonian MacBrayne, Fishnish-Lochaline off Mull is pay onboard, Mallaig-Armadale prebook - if you think a section of route will take 2 hours, allow 3+ - Keep fuelled, I was pushing my tanks range at 200mi stops a couple of them were on fumes :joy:

Apart from that it's mega :heart:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Awesome! We have a family reunion every summer up near Inverness and I am seriously tempted to take in the NC500 this summer before I make a decision on selling my S3

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
Awesome! We have a family reunion every summer up near Inverness and I am seriously tempted to take in the NC500 this summer before I make a decision on selling my S3
Perfect hooning tool (y)

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Class photos and class trip 👍🏻

I’ll definitely be over to do it again this year when I get a chance. As you say, them single track roads look small, but you can see so far ahead at some points that you can really push on when it’s quiet. Unreal!

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
Class photos and class trip 👍🏻

I’ll definitely be over to do it again this year when I get a chance. As you say, them single track roads look small, but you can see so far ahead at some points that you can really push on when it’s quiet. Unreal!
Surprisingly grippy too, I was giving it some at times and made it out alive with no real dramas :laughing: Forgot panniers were there after a while :eek:

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
Just about sums up Day 1. Never heard fan on so much 8o|

Last edited:

warren

RMS Photographer
Fantastic photos, you picked a good time to do it anyway, I'm sure the weather helps the happiness levels big time!

One day I shall do this myself....

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
looks like you had a great time and the weather makes up for it. some familiar pics there!

The Highlands is made for motorbikes ... IMHO :grinning: been with the car and its nice but on the bike its a different level.
love it over there and be definitely heading over this year as its been a couple of years since i last had the bike over
road surfaces are made for biking as lots of extra traction but they wear the tyres quicker.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
done the ironbutt challenge from JOG to Lands End a number of years back on my old 1050 tiger. It was a haul but enjoyed it

some great pics there and busting to get back to Scotland ... just waiting on my scottish mate to get his finger out and sort something. hopefully be over within the next month or so

i love the Fortwilliam to Mallig road ... one of the best journeys to do on the bike IMHO

good thread :grinning:

1139 over 4 days :grinning: Bikes are for riding, not looking at 👌

Been looking into Iron Butt Association rides, 1000 in 24hrs kind of thing ;)

Lee

RMS Regular
done the ironbutt challenge from JOG to Lands End a number of years back on my old 1050 tiger. It was a haul but enjoyed it

some great pics there and busting to get back to Scotland ... just waiting on my scottish mate to get his finger out and sort something. hopefully be over within the next month or so

i love the Fortwilliam to Mallig road ... one of the best journeys to do on the bike IMHO

good thread :grinning:

I was over in Scotland on the bike for the first time at the start of May and loved it. Maybe even my first time in Scotland full stop when I think of it! Theres just a lifetime of biking roads over there.

We went Belfast to Cairnryan, up the coast to the Dunoon ferry and on from there up to Fortwilliam. Stayed there a couple of nights and done Applecross etc. A good trip and one of the highlights for me was carving through Loch Lomond on the way home.

I think doing it again though I would need a different bike. The Street Triple would be ok if good weather was guarantee'd but sadly its not. When I was leaving the house over here at 5 am the thursday to head up the M1 to the boat, the rain was hopping off the ground for the 80 miles. I suffered almost to the point of having to stop as the front of my head started to go really cold and sore. Needless to say it caught up with me when waking up on on the sunday to go home with a jaggy throat, I was off a cylinder for a good while after that!

Think I posted some pics somewhere but some highlights:

Eilian Donan Castle:

20190510_121929.jpg

Down at Applecross:

20190510_153810.jpg

The world trials championship at Fort William:

20190510_203558.jpg

Loch Lomond:

Snapchat-35233644.jpg

Mandatory stop at the Green Welly:

20190511_113358.jpg

20190511_113425.jpg

Some of the best sights were missed by the camera as it hard to stop a group of bikes whenever you feel like taking a wee snap.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
I have done Scotland a few years now on and off on the bike and as you say there is plenty to explore on the bike. But i have done roads often up round the Highlands and i never tire of them; just a great place to go on the bike.

I toured with a few guys and one of them always had a naked bike whether it was a Speed Triple or the Kwak variant and sometimes the elements hit him more than the rest of us but he still rides those naked style bikes. You ride what you enjoy but he knows himself that something with a bit of fairing helps when you tour.

I personally could not ride naked bikes as I am pretty tall and never really liked that exposed feel. Fair play for you to take it on, but unless you plan to up the ante on touring/long trips stick to what you enjoy re biking would be my advice :grinning:

I was over in Scotland on the bike for the first time at the start of May and loved it. Maybe even my first time in Scotland full stop when I think of it! Theres just a lifetime of biking roads over there.

We went Belfast to Cairnryan, up the coast to the Dunoon ferry and on from there up to Fortwilliam. Stayed there a couple of nights and done Applecross etc. A good trip and one of the highlights for me was carving through Loch Lomond on the way home.

I think doing it again though I would need a different bike. The Street Triple would be ok if good weather was guarantee'd but sadly its not. When I was leaving the house over here at 5 am the thursday to head up the M1 to the boat, the rain was hopping off the ground for the 80 miles. I suffered almost to the point of having to stop as the front of my head started to go really cold and sore. Needless to say it caught up with me when waking up on on the sunday to go home with a jaggy throat, I was off a cylinder for a good while after that!

Reactions: Lee