Need suggestions for cheap, good handling with good 40-70 performance.

dw300

RMS Member
Drives
E46 330d Sport
My 2002 330d went bang and i lost all boost in the last week. It was a 184bhp remapped to 211 but otherwise standard. Its been a good workhorse, but now I'm not sure if I should repair or think about something new.

I'm not concerned with top speed or drag racing performance, but something that's lots of fun and can overtake slow moving traffic at 40-70 mph when I'm late for work, would be nice. I'm thinking something that gets its performance from being lighter and more nimble though, with a similar or better power:weight. I previously owned a 1999 Focus which had wider wheels, lowering springs and beefier ARBs, and the thing was a go-kart, and I could drive it flat out because I knew it didnt have the power to kill me lol.

Part of me wants something like a Toyota GT86, but maybe you can have as much fun for cheaper in a Fiesta ST or similar? Maybe repair/modify the 330d in some way?

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
The dsg gearbox in gti golfs and the like are good for that power area

dw300

RMS Member
OP
D
Drives
E46 330d Sport
Thanks for the ideas folks, i've had a look at some of those. Just wasn't sure if there was anything it was overlooking. I should find out Tuesday what the damage is..

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
For good 40-70 you’re going to want to look at a diesel or a turbo petrol. Not sure why n/a petrols are being recommended, torque is what you want here.

id price up getting your own fixed first if you’re still happy with the fundamental car itself.

Last edited:

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Stick with what you know, if the car is still a good one (i.e. not rotten).

You could go to a 204bhp 330d if you wanted a bit more kick, and they can be mapped up closer to 250 without much supporting work needed. For a reliable daily that has a bit of go and still does 40-50mpg there isn't much like it.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
I’m selling my low mileage Jap import Polo GTI. Comes with the 1.8t engine. A remap really makes the car go. Have had several over the years between 190-300hp and all are fun. Only costing me £25 per week on fuel and that’s going from Bangor to Belfast Monday to Friday. It’s in the classifieds but will be wanting it gone soon so open for decent offers.