Negotiating on a new car

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Its actually £5,115, thats a combination of drivethedeal and WBAC offer being better for her current car. On that- the trade in price was £900 less than what WBAC offered. Just goes to show that dealers rip the absolute bag out of things when dealing with folk that don't know. I gave off stacks to the inlaws when I heard, no idea what they were thinking doing a deal without checking with me first. Eejits!

I'm over tomorrow, so may call in a few.

Did you literally just ring and ask what they can do?!
Not having a go at your in laws here but they were obviously happy with the deal they got to go ahead and place the order.
But I 100% agree that dealers do take advantage of unsuspecting customers, suppose it gives them room to manoeuvre for money saving experts like us who walk through the door ha ha

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd

Believe it or not it was a quick auto trader search for the same car with same miles (ie new so under 100 iirc) and Edinburgh Mercedes had a few siting there for £28k, Mercedes Boucher wanted £32.5k for the same car. I also got him an extra grand by selling his 5 series privately instead of a trade in as it was mint, barely driven and with very low miles. Some people have no idea when it comes to cars unfortunately and just take anything a dealer says as gospel. When they said he wasn’t getting the deposit (think he might have got a couple hundred back but can’t be sure) he told boucher the price of the same car in Edinburgh and would they come close to it they basically said we aren’t budging, go ahead and get it.....so we did, cheap flight over in the morning and ferry home that afternoon.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I used Coast2Coast for a quote when I was buying my F31 new and the Golf R new. Both ended up getting me in and around 15% off list price.

JKC matched the Coast2Coast price without much hassle. Agnews took a bit more persuasion and me threatening to go to england for the car to save myself a few grand.

To put it in perspective, I was able to get my pretty much fully specced Golf R from Agnews for what they were initially looking for a base spec car.

Last edited:

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
She's going to phone tomorrow to cancel, so will see what they can do compared to the drivethedeal/carwow prices. I'm not hopeful but.

If you don't get the deal from Audi Belfast/Portadown I would be surprised!

Igxom

RMS Regular
I've used Carwow and Coast2Coast as well as TRL to get benchmark prices for a couple of BMW's and a Skoda. I have never had any luck whatsoever with anywhere on/near the Boucher road. The last time for the Skoda actually, the salesman down there said words to the effect of "We value ourselves higher than that here and think you should too" whilst being asked to get close to a mainland price which they were as much as a few grand off with their "no margin on this for us" offer.

Trying smaller dealers I have been able to get them to within the cost of a ferry for all cars within 30 mins of talking to them.

One thing to be aware of if going across the water is that the local dealer has to honour the warranty obviously, but they may be less accommodating with regard to courtesy cars etc which they are within their right to prioritise for their own customers.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Does drive the deal only have certain car manufacturers on it. Starting to hunt for the wives discovery replacement.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Couple of English dealers have matched the Drivethedeal price. Agnews are wanting to see a written quote so will see what happens.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I wouldn't go past Howard Abraham when it comes to Skodas, they've matched and sometimes beat mainland prices for the few purchases from them. The in laws have bought 5 new skodas from them in the past 10 years at brilliant deals.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Its actually £5,115, thats a combination of drivethedeal and WBAC offer being better for her current car. On that- the trade in price was £900 less than what WBAC offered. Just goes to show that dealers rip the absolute bag out of things when dealing with folk that don't know. I gave off stacks to the inlaws when I heard, no idea what they were thinking doing a deal without checking with me first. Eejits!

maybe wanted it done this year.... 😛
You flying first class and coming home on a chartered ferry...? Lol
To be fair, i would budget about £500 for bringing a car home. Depending on times you can travel and possible trains/taxis/hotels/food over there, £500 would be a realistic estimate. Especially when you consider your time involved.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
It’s was direct with a Mercedes main dealer in Edinburgh I didn’t even have to go through any of the sites mentioned above. It was about 6 years ago though.
After wasting an entire morning in Agnews, a 5min call to Merc Edinburgh got me a better price on the same car. Audi & Merc over here are a rip off as no competition.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
They don’t seem to care either! Fair enough I’m sure they are getting enough business but trying to work with somebody to a certain extent goes along way in my book rather than a stuck up no or I don’t care attitude.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
They don’t seem to care either! Fair enough I’m sure they are getting enough business but trying to work with somebody to a certain extent goes along way in my book rather than a stuck up no or I don’t care attitude.
Meh if they can sell a car at a higher price to the next man, why would they not. At the end of the day, thats their business. I dont hold it against them. Have to say though, the dealers I talked to in England were more than helpful.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
This is it ^^. Local dealers are only interested in folk that don’t negotiate & are willing to pay full price & take out Supaguard!

England/Wales/Scotland dealers are much more keen to do a deal as I found out 1st hand over the last year or 2. They all admit it’s much more competitive for them. They are also happy to tweak APR’s to something that suits your budget where they can.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Just shows the mark up, if you don’t ask you don’t get. How much is she saving from the original price?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
From the original Agnews price? Circa £4K. They said the dealer contribution wasn’t accounted for originally but I’m not convinced.

Anyway, done now and all happy. Just need to try and get more for her current car.