Negotiating on a new car

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Has anyone used the likes of Drivethedeal on here?

Mother in law has just ordered a new Q3 at Agnews and got absolutely stroked, I can get her a further £6k off by going through drivethedeal. I'm just wondering what way it works? Do you order through them, or at some stage do they reveal the dealer and you deal directly with them?

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
I’m nearly sure you input your details and dealers give you quotes or their best price then you can contact them.

Edit actually I’m describing orangewheels there. Not sure if DTD is different

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
I’m nearly sure you input your details and dealers give you quotes or their best price then you can contact them.

Edit actually I’m describing orangewheels there. Not sure if DTD is different

Exactly the same idea with DTD.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Aye, went through it there and they ask for your card details obviously for deposit. I’ve submitted an enquiry so will see what happens.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
First car wow offer is about £3k more than drive the deal. Will see what else comes through.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I only used car wow to be honest, when I went to the dealership with the printouts on both occasions the dealerships better the online offers, save me the hassle of going to the mainland as well, as only dealerships in England and Scotland contacted me with offers.

PAULW

RMS Regular
@Lyons I bought a new car a couple of years ago via DriveTheDeal. Basically, if you go through with it, the dealer information and therefore location is not revealed until the deposit is paid, then you deal with the dealer directly and have nothing more to do with DTD. Were excellent to deal but the dealer will almost certainly be on the mainland. In some cases, the discount is dependent on taking the manufacturer finance but it says all that info when you are getting a quote.

silliwilli

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F82 M4
Have taken a carwow quote to Bavarian and had it matched. Have bought my last 3 cars off Jonny Smylie in there and he's superb to deal with.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Get your carwow/orange wheels quote and take it to your dealer, they will be within £500 (flight/ferry)

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd

Mother in law has just ordered a new Q3 at Agnews and got absolutely stroked, I can get her a further £6k off by going through drivethedeal. I'm just wondering what way it works? Do you order through them, or at some stage do they reveal the dealer and you deal directly with them?

Did she pay a deposit? A similar thing happened to an (impatient) in-law of mine only with Mercedes on Boucher. (I told him to leave it with me for a day or so and I would get him it much cheaper in Scotland). He phoned them and said he could get it cheaper across the water but they wouldn’t give his deposit back as they said the car had been ordered. He left it as I was able to get him the same car 4500 cheaper in Edinburgh so he was still 3000 better off in the end.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Get your carwow/orange wheels quote and take it to your dealer, they will be within £500 (flight/ferry)

She's going to phone tomorrow to cancel, so will see what they can do compared to the drivethedeal/carwow prices. I'm not hopeful but.

davyk31

RMS Regular
i have heard several reports of Belfast Audi marching Drive the Deal quotes so maybe go armed with a price and they might see they need to play ball. Carwow is another option and have seen local VW dealers offering deals on there so they are all very aware but will certainly take advantage if they sense they have a non savi customer.

generally I deal locally only once they have got to within £400 of a mainland dealer quote as that is what it will cost me to get a car transported over.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Did she pay a deposit? A similar thing happened to an (impatient) in-law of mine only with Mercedes on Boucher. (I told him to leave it with me for a day or so and I would get him it much cheaper in Scotland). He phoned them and said he could get it cheaper across the water but they wouldn’t give his deposit back as they said the car had been ordered. He left it as I was able to get him the same car 4500 cheaper in Edinburgh so he was still 3000 better off in the end.

Yes she paid £500, but was told theres a 24 hour cooling off period so it should be ok.

Who did you order with?

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

6 grand is absolutely bonkers.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It’s was direct with a Mercedes main dealer in Edinburgh I didn’t even have to go through any of the sites mentioned above. It was about 6 years ago though.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Its actually £5,115, thats a combination of drivethedeal and WBAC offer being better for her current car. On that- the trade in price was £900 less than what WBAC offered. Just goes to show that dealers rip the absolute bag out of things when dealing with folk that don't know. I gave off stacks to the inlaws when I heard, no idea what they were thinking doing a deal without checking with me first. Eejits!
It’s was direct with a Mercedes main dealer in Edinburgh I didn’t even have to go through any of the sites mentioned above.

I'm over tomorrow, so may call in a few.

Did you literally just ring and ask what they can do?!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I took a screenshot of a cheap deal and emailed everyone I could find on Google. Took me 5 minutes, saved a few quid and a trip to England

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I took a screenshot of a cheap deal and emailed everyone I could find on Google. Took me 5 minutes, saved a few quid and a trip to England

I was planning on ringing round a few tomorrow, I thought that might have a higher success rate than email?

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
How much are you charging the in laws to save them £5k?