New 2020 BMW 4 Series leaks ahead of tomorrow's unveiling

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
A very quick and nasty photoshop but just wanted to illustrate that even reducing the grill size by only 20% would have made a big difference

1591797141526.png

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Interesting if BMW take the 3 series down this route. They will have undoubtedly seen the backlash/laughter after this release and wonder whether or not to risk their biggest seller with it.

Mercedes and Audi must be having some laugh at it as well :laughing:

Journalists are not being kind to it.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I love the new BMW interiors, but whoever designed and signed that off for production are nuts.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Interesting if BMW take the 3 series down this route. They will have undoubtedly seen the backlash/laughter after this release and wonder whether or not to risk their biggest seller with it.

Mercedes and Audi must be having some laugh at it as well :laughing:

Given how generally bland / horrible modern car design is (there are exceptions), they're probably sitting thinking 'challenge accepted'. :joy:

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S

Don't think they will. The G20 3-Series was a brand new model just released last year. BMW have also said that they want to put more distinction between the 3 and 4, with both aesthetics and dynamics.

Maybe doesn't bode well for next 2-Series Coupe though...

Reactions: DC.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Don't think they will. The G20 3-Series was a brand new model just released last year. BMW have also said that they want to put more distinction between the 3 and 4, with both aesthetics and dynamics.

Maybe doesn't bode well for next 2-Series Coupe though...

Next 2 series coupe doesn’t have the grilles! Leak has already happened and it’s much better looking than the awkward stubby current car imo

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Strange, I always thought it was just going to be the 4-Series, I definitely read something a while back from someone inside BMW saying they wanted to put more distinction between the 3 and 4, both in how they look and drive.

So is the rest of the 3-Series range getting the same front end? They only launched the all new car last year so would be a bit wasteful to do such a drastic change now. And if not, the M3 has never before had a completely different front end to rest of the range.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Strange, I always thought it was just going to be the 4-Series, I definitely read something a while back from someone inside BMW saying they wanted to put more distinction between the 3 and 4, both in how they look and drive.

So is the rest of the 3-Series range getting the same front end? They only launched the all new car last year so would be a bit wasteful to do such a drastic change now. And if not, the M3 has never before had a completely different front end to rest of the range.

E92 and current m3 both have the nose from the coupe

Reactions: Ben

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
The grill just ruins it. I really can't fathom how so many parties within BMW thought it looked good enough to sign off.

A colleague in work picked up a new 340i Touring a few months back, front is similar to below. They should have stuck with this for the coupe.

1594288868918.png

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
  • Haha
Reactions: DC.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
bloody awful design, the one @Gaz posted above would have been far nicer!

MarkM

RMS Regular
The grill just ruins it. I really can't fathom how so many parties within BMW thought it looked good enough to sign off.

A colleague in work picked up a new 340i Touring a few months back, front is similar to below. They should have stuck with this for the coupe.

View attachment 286601

I’m really not a fan of that, front end looks too tall, interiors of the new 3 is also poor quality imo, the big grilles might be a wow in the flesh, maybe, possibly, ah I think mine’s staying for a good while :laughing:

Last edited:

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I’m really not a fan of that, front end looks too tall, interiors of the new 3 is also poor quality imo, the big grilles might be a wow in the flesh, maybe, possibly, ah I think mine’s staying for a good while :laughing:

I'm on the other side of the fence re: the interior actually, after sitting in my colleague's one I thought it was a fair move on from the F series cars, much preferred it to my wife's 330d interior.

MarkM

RMS Regular
I'm on the other side of the fence re: the interior actually, after sitting in my colleague's one I thought it was a fair move on from the F series cars, much preferred it to my wife's 330d interior.

It’s not the look though, the plastics are horrible, I posted a vid on insta and tagged BMW of the launch day and me grabbing the centre console lid and waving it back and forth lol, certainly not like that in mine! Lot of cheap silver painted hard plastic on the dash too!

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
You really need to go to the 5 or 8 series for a really quality interior, even the last 3 series interior wasn't great quality.