New Arrangements for Taxing and Registering Vehicles

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Official word!!

From Monday 21 July, if you need to tax or register your vehicle you must do this either online on the Gov.uk website
cid:image001.gif@01CF9AC5.E05315D0
or at a post office. You will no longer be able to tax or register vehicles at DVA offices in Northern Ireland, which close on Thursday 17 July 2014.

From Monday 21 July, vehicle licensing services will be provided by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in Swansea.

Specifically, if you want to tax a car on Friday 18 July, the handover period of data to Swansea, you will need to do so at a post office.

Further information is available on the NI Direct website
cid:image001.gif@01CF9AC5.E05315D0
. A leaflet explaining the new system will be issued with all car tax reminders from 5 July.

The DVA’s other functions are not affected by the transfer of vehicle licensing to Swansea. These are:

• driver licensing;
  • driver and vehicle testing;
  • bus and taxi licensing; and
  • roadside compliance checks.
The identity checking service for driving licence applications currently provided at motor tax offices, will be available from Monday 21 July at Driver Licensing HQ, County Hall, Coleraine and at the following test centres:

• Armagh;
  • Ballymena;
  • Belfast,;
  • Downpatrick;
  • Enniskillen;
  • Derry; and
  • Omagh.
More information is available athttp://www.nidirect.gov.uk/motoring...icle-tax/how-you-tax-your-car-is-changing.htm

JD.

RMS Regular
I've heard some bad things about DVLA Swansea, specifically the turnover time of anything!

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Does anyone know how this will affect the procedure for bringing a car up from the south?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Does anyone know how this will affect the procedure for bringing a car up from the south?
No different than registering any other european car within the UK. You just will have to send everything to DVLA HQ in Swansea now, so make sure you have even more important stuff like that sent recorded/tracked post!

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Nope, but my post is moving up to Coleraine to counteract them losing their posts, so now im the one having to look for a new post elsewhere like the Belfast DVA crew lol :worried: Thanks Mr Durk-head (y):mad:

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
Just read that GB regs can now be transferred to NI without having to be registered on a GB car first, IE - you can buy a reg straight from the likes of http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk
Can this be done from Monday 21st July? Can't remember what thread it was on but i remember it being mentioned that you wouldn't be able to do the direct transfer until October.

Have my eye on a reg i wouldn't mind getting if so.

Edit: Just found the answer on the site, you are correct sir:

What if my vehicle is registered in Northern Ireland, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man?

From 21st July 2014 the assignment rules will change to allow any GB or Northern Ireland format registration number to be assigned directly onto a vehicle registered in the UK (excluding the Channel Islands and Isle of Man).

Last edited:

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
Just went to buy a reg from DVA and the details arent updated regarding purchasing a personal plate for an NI car. It states that its still excluding NI. Does anyone have any ideas? Have they not updated their website?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Just went to buy a reg from DVA and the details arent updated regarding purchasing a personal plate for an NI car. It states that its still excluding NI. Does anyone have any ideas? Have they not updated their website?

Says on latest news feed on their site that purchases will be down on Sun 20 July until late afternoon. I presume this is to update their site info. I think I'll take a chance and buy mine now. It does say on DVA NI site that all assignments transfers and retentions etc should be sent to DVLA from 14 July.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Does anyone know where i can find out what the current registration prefix is for Belfast. I've tried searching but can come up with nothing.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.