New Arrangements for Taxing and Registering Vehicles

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
What happens if I go to view a car private.
Like the car, pay for it.
If I ring and get insurance there and then, then can I ring and get tax or do it online straight away.
Or will I have to make a return journey to the seller's place in a day or two when the insurance system updates with my details?

Good question, but the car is technically still taxed until the seller gets his refund which will be a few days by the time the form reaches the tax office. Might be ok to wait until the next day to tax if its not showing up on the system as insured, not sure.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Tax it when you get it home in a day or two. Provided it's taxed to cover the time you bought it then I can't see them having a problem really. As above there's going to be a few days lag here & there for forms to reach DVLA and for processing time so it will be fine to get you home and to wait for the insurance database to update.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
People wont want to sell cars near the start of the month. People wont want to buy cars near the end of the month.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
For the sake of a few £ difference on something that will be costing hundreds/thousands then I would imagine it won't be much of an impact.

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Taxed 1 car at the PO this morning in and out in 5 mins.
Gonna set the other motor up via DD as it doesn't expire until the end of October.

Bigadamski

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I'm not surprised especially given that the renewal letter requested that renewal not be made until within 5 days of expiry.

I think the lack of a disc requièred on the screen falls right into the hands of car cloners.

"I think the lack of a disc required on the screen falls right into the hands of car cloners" I was just saying this to my mrs this evening, if you get stopped then the PSNI would normally look at your reg then your tax disc. Are they really gonna start checking the vin no? So, I could spot an identical car in say, Omagh, head to nutts corner for a set of plates for said vehicle and pass every ANPR camera without breaking a sweat?!

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I also posted this in the things that make you laugh gave me a chuckle.
The guy in the post office, went into pay my vehicle excise duty. He said "you don't get a disc just make sure and keep the receipt on you in case your stopped". My reply "no chance as far as I'm concerned I'm taxed, if their system makes a balls up its up to them to prove I have it not the other way round. unless you want me to put the receipt in my window as proof, oh wait" I just left shaking my head

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Got renewal out today for the other car.
Done a Reg transfer about 3/4 weeks ago got both tax books back etc but today the renewal came out in my private reg but the old car. Wtf like.

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
So I rang Swansea, seemly then send the renewals out 8 weeks in advance, Royal mail holds them for a few weeks then deliveries them.

Got all set up online for direct debit from next month, great job and easy to do.
£15.75 a month :grinning:

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
I have not it myself yet, but from what the new rules say, yes. I assume they just send you out a cheque.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.