New Average Speed Cameras on Saintfield Road

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
I don’t do many miles thankfully but there’s not a day goes by where I wouldn’t use the horn to alert some t**t that they are half sleeping at lights, clearly breaking red lights or wavering into my lane etc etc.....WTF would be a common phrase when I’m driving I feel for people who’s job involves a lot of driving. Anyway there’s another thread for that (y)

The amount of ones looking at their phone while driving/sitting at lights etc is unreal.

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
I have lived near this stretch of road for years and it’s about time. No matter what speed you do up and down this road you get some nut jobs trying to push on past you. Also as said before, I don’t know how there isn’t more accidents with people trying to get in and out of brackenvale and the KFC.

brendy

RMS Regular
I lived just off the Saintfield Road for 10 years, it's a bottleneck in the mornings and an accident waiting to happen in the evenings. For a 4 lane carriageway, it is quite narrow in places hence the incidents. As someone already mentioned, the CRX incidents would have been fatal no matter, average cameras will only help on that road if the incidents are down to speed and not stupidity.

Last edited:

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I’m on that road a few times per day most days and some people really do ridiculous speeds on it, particularly the straight stretch approaching Brackenvale service station. I can’t see average speed cameras doing any harm in that regard at all, they might incentivise people to slow down a bit.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The amount of ones looking at their phone while driving/sitting at lights etc is unreal.

Rarely are accidents caused by stationary cars sitting in traffic. The dangerous ones are the assholes driving into the path of other cars because they refuse to use their eyes. And rarely are phones involved there, because they've been doing long before mobile phones were even dreamt of.

scub

Banned
a slight widening of the junction into purdeysburn to allow for a 3 or 4 car filter lane would sort the road out too.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
a slight widening of the junction into purdeysburn to allow for a 3 or 4 car filter lane would sort the road out too.

No right turn between 7am and 9am would be better, a bit like the junction up from Forestside that doesn’t allow cars to cross the oncoming lanes between 4pm and 6pm or something from memory.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Rarely are accidents caused by stationary cars sitting in traffic. The dangerous ones are the assholes driving into the path of other cars because they refuse to use their eyes. And rarely are phones involved there, because they've been doing long before mobile phones were even dreamt of.

I didn’t mean just stationary, if people do it in traffic they’ll do it at other times when driving too. And tell that to the guy that got rear ended by a car doing about 40 mph, whilst he was stopped behind a bus outside my house a few weeks ago. A straight uphill section of road on a clear dry day...person responsible was looking at phone. Or the guy I sold a car to yesterday as his own was written off whilst parked, again by someone who veered off course, suspected to be looking at phone. A good friend of mine attends a lot of serious rta’s and it’s surprisingly often the cause, mostly younger folk.

brendy

RMS Regular
If I had the power I would lose the first set of lights at Purdysburn and create a new entrance 250 yards short of the existing entrance, there is just grass there now. This would reduce traffic into the main entrance (no right turn across traffic and a small filter lane similar to George Best AP when exiting Bangor bound), one less set of lights and less likelihood of accidents as it's on a straighter section of road for oncoming traffic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I didn’t mean just stationary, if people do it in traffic they’ll do it at other times when driving too. And tell that to the guy that got rear ended by a car doing about 40 mph, whilst he was stopped behind a bus outside my house a few weeks ago. A straight uphill section of road on a clear dry day...person responsible was looking at phone. Or the guy I sold a car to yesterday as his own was written off whilst parked, again by someone who veered off course, suspected to be looking at phone. A good friend of mine attends a lot of serious rta’s and it’s surprisingly often the cause, mostly younger folk.

I've been crashed into about 3 times when sitting stationary...all 3 had nothing to do with phones.

Blind ****s are blind ****s. Doesnt matter what excuse they use for being a blind ****, the end result is the same. They crash and destroy.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Not a bad thing at all on this road, though as others have said I don't see how you could really travel much above 50 anyway on it. It feels pretty fast doing 55 on it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yeah it’s a 50, which is quick enough, but you tend to get people coming up behind you on the inside lane in big jeeps, can’t get past you quick enough

You shouldn't be hogging the outside lane then ;)

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
I'm expecting 3 points from earlier today, whilst going with the flow of the traffic on Woodburn Rd Carrick. I was 4th car in a row of about 6, doing between 35 - 40mph when we all past the hairdryer in the hedge guy.
Nice we earner if all 6 get fines n points in one fell swoop.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
6 cars past/seen it and nobody slowed ? and nobody flashed to alert of the hazard ? How disappointing so few do this these days. Other road users should always alert of potential hazards.

specsavers lol.

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
The 6 in my convoy couldn't see him until about 2 car lengths away, he was behind 3 parked cars next to a hedge.
No oncoming flashed though, which was poor. Just have to take it on the chin.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.