NEW CAR CHOICE 1ST TIME DRIVER

ewok

RMS Regular
Right guys haven't been on much the last few years busy in real life lol but I need your help.My eldest daughter is going to be 18 in a few months and I was wondering whats a safe car for a first time car and also handy to insure especially here in N.I. Any suggestions welcome plus im into my german cars etc with having audi,bmw and vw and I know that might be outta the question.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
What sort of money? My 17 year old nephew got a VW Polo for his birthday, insurance is his name was £1300 with no black box.

1563536623025.png

Last edited:

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
A small city-car type with a little engine is a good place to start. For insurance, avoid 'performance' models whether it's cosmetic/trim or the motor.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Is this a what Car thread?

Default answer is always

Mk5 GTi Golf

I’d look for a polo, mini one or fabia (all very safe and sturdy but can also look cool)

johnm

RMS Regular
As well as the obvious small engine etc, get something cheap.
Chance its going to be bounced off something is very high in that first year so get something you dont care if it has carpark dings on it and is easy enough floated on with a couple of knocks if not bothering to fix.

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp
Daughter got 1,2corsa last year insurance 1175for first year with a box fitted down to 780 this year. Tbh get somethimng where you don’t mind it gettin a few dings and scrapes

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Mk5 1.9tdi are surprisingly easily insured for first timers, suppose it’s all down to budget and what the driver wants, girls are woeful Iv two and you think a 06 Clio will do then they want an 2010 1 series 🤦‍♂️

Rallyfreaks

RMS Regular
Drives
Golfs
Cheapest car i found to insure for my 17yr old daughter this time last year was Citroen C1/Peugeot 107. Got it insured in her name with GoGirl for just under 1100. No black box or phone apps etc. This year it came down to 710.

C1s/107s also 50mpg and only £20 tax. Toyota built and very reliable. I looked at Mini Ones, but dearer to insure, dearer to tax and run and huge problems when up the miles. 3 cylinder Corsas and Polos also concerned me with reliability issues (timing chain failure).

zafturbo

RMS Regular
My daughter also got a polo ,not the cheapest to insure but a very sturdy wee car.also have a cheap mini one for sale if any use to you.built like a tank it is .

vtec1

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus st
Some old piece of crap. Gives you a tear to do a bit of wrecking without costing you a fortune

ewok

RMS Regular
OP
ewok
Golf I would choose no problem for first time driver insurance would be a complete nightmare as for money prob no more than 6k

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
The Fiesta ecoboosts are super cheap to insure and easily fuelled

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Fiat 500’s seem to be a popular choice

I had a 300 quid corolla back in the day. Its probably still going.