New Car Sales in NI up 10%

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
A good sign for the trade in general:

The number of new cars registered in Northern Ireland rose by more than 10% in 2013, according to a trade body.

There were 52,460 new registrations in 2013 compared to 47,519 in 2012, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said.

The figures are seen as an important measure of consumer spending.

The economic crisis saw a big fall in the number of new cars being sold, and the improved 2013 figures are still well below the 2007 peak of 68,000.

In the UK as a whole, car sales in 2013 recorded their best year since 2007, helped by cheap credit deals and stronger consumer confidence.

Top 10 Northern Ireland car makes in 2013
  • 1 Ford Fiesta: 2,314
  • 2 Ford Focus: 1,834
  • 3 Volkswagen Golf: 1,774
  • 4 Vauxhall Astra: 1,706
  • 5 Nissan Qashqai: 1,497
  • 6 Vauxhall Corsa: 1,309
  • 7 Volkswagen Polo: 1,186
  • 8 Nissan Juke: 1,175
  • 9 Peugeot 208: 1,161
  • 10 Renault Clio: 959
  • Top 10 total: 14,915
  • Overall: 52,460
The SMMT said that 2.26 million vehicles were registered in 2013.

That was a 10.8% rise on 2012, although the figure is 6% lower than 2007's 2.4 million figure.

The 2013 total was boosted by a 23.76% rise in sales in December, marking the 22nd successive month of increases.

In Northern Ireland sales surged by 28% in December - the highest rate of growth in any part of the UK.

The most popular new car in Northern Ireland in 2013 was the Ford Fiesta with 2,314 sales.

While small cars dominate the top 10, Nissan's compact SUV models, the Qashqai and the Juke, both feature in the top 10 at number five and seven respectively

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25643511

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
I was quite suprised that Kia or Hyundai where not in the top 10 given the warranties they provide now

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Interesting that the top 2 cars are Ford yet Lindsay's in Bangor still shut.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Don't Nissan do a wild amount of DLA cars? Girlfriends mum has a Juke on DLA lol

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Their advance payments were quite low afaik.

Edit - Qashqai 1.6 360 Acenta - £199 | Juke 1.6 N-Tec - £199

marcusplowman

RMS Regular
Drives
Yes
A good sign for the trade in general:
  • 1 Ford Fiesta: 2,314
  • 2 Ford Focus: 1,834
  • 3 Volkswagen Golf: 1,774
  • 4 Vauxhall Astra: 1,706
  • 5 Nissan Qashqai: 1,497
  • 6 Vauxhall Corsa: 1,309
  • 7 Volkswagen Polo: 1,186
  • 8 Nissan Juke: 1,175
  • 9 Peugeot 208: 1,161
  • 10 Renault Clio: 959
While small cars dominate the top 10, Nissan's compact SUV models, the Qashqai and the Juke, both feature in the top 10 at number five and seven respectively

DOH!!!

warren

RMS Photographer
The Juke is in the top 10...... how does that happen? My mother has one of these and I cant even look at it. Easily one of the most horrible cars inside and out ive ever seen.

mmc01

RMS Regular
I had a great year last year. this year is off to a very strong start too. The market for everything is back on the up. no two ways about it.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Seems interesting that SEAT seem to be slipping back down the ranks since they started making generic breadvans which is disappointing.

Seat was the only one out of the VW Group that made a global loss last year.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Until the arrival of the new Ibiza and Leon, Seat had been off the mark for the last few years.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I'd love to know exactly how many new cars are DLAmobiles. I'd also love to know how many cars registered in NI are DLA.

Quite a few people in my work have these as daily drivers. As long as their cars are sitting in the car park they aren't really helping the incapacitated relative (who also get subsidised taxis I just discovered).

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Interesting that the top 2 cars are Ford yet Lindsay's in Bangor still shut.
If it's anything like Craigavons branch it doesn't surprise me. I actually hope it shuts too and we get a company that can do there job.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
I was sitting in traffic at Kennedy Way roundabout earlier and in the queue across from me, there was 12 cars in a row in dull silver, all ecobox white-goods stuff like the above.

Died a little inside.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
I was sitting in traffic at Kennedy Way roundabout earlier and in the queue across from me, there was 12 cars in a row in dull silver, all ecobox white-goods stuff like the above.

Died a little inside.

some peoples cars are only a means to an end for getting A to B for as little as possible.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
some peoples cars are only a means to an end for getting A to B for as little as possible.

I know but looking at the used car market now and seeing what's selling new these days, it seems to me at least that there's going to be a lot less interesting cars to own second hand in a few years.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
I know but looking at the used car market now and seeing what's selling new these days, it seems to me at least that there's going to be a lot less interesting cars to own second hand in a few years.

some people on here would have you believe there wont be any petrol to put in them anyhow :party:

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
image.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.