New car sourced in England what to do?

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
I'd just fly over and drive it back. My buddy drove over to the Nurburgring yesterday with no issues. If you fly out and drive back same day then you aren't bretching any rules imo.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
No point starting my own thread as its a similar deal

I have noticed a 520d takes my fancy and might just get an AA inspection then get the car shipped here with McLaughlins.

As I won’t be actually visiting the dealer whats the best way to pay I assume credit card as it will offer me protection if the car doesn’t show up?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Most dealers can’t take a credit card over the phone for more than a few hundred quid of a deposit with the balance paid by bank transfer. Even paying a small deposit sees you protected by the S75 charge back thing that @Coog has mentioned on here previously, so I’m sure he could offer more insight.

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
There was a very similar thread on F30 Forum on bimmerpost. Essentially most recommended seeing it in the flesh. That way you’re not left wondering what condition it’s in, especially scratches and bumps that a video can conveniently miss or mask. Gives you the chance to speak in person to dealer to rectify anything rather than them trying to push it onto transport driver, courier, etc. If it was me, I‘d follow others’ advice, get the plane over, transport down and drive to ferry back.

white sport

RMS Regular
OP
white sport
Drives
cosmic ep3
Well with the flight restrictions sort of
Lifted a bit better now I'm flying over on Friday and if I buy I'm driving back to cairnryan the car is in Newcastle so only 170 miles away, it's not the orginal 1 I wanted but personally think it's worked out better for me

RevT

RMS Regular
Lifted a bit better now I'm flying over on Friday and if I buy I'm driving back to cairnryan the car is in Newcastle so only 170 miles away, it's not the orginal 1 I wanted but personally think it's worked out better for me

Handy run from Newcastle, that’s where the last car I bought was and I wish I could buy them all there.

Lostinspace

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2
Handy run from Newcastle, that’s where the last car I bought was and I wish I could buy them all there.

That road is horrible on a wet dark night, unless they have it dualled now? I know it was in the pipeline but didn't think it was even started yet...

RevT

RMS Regular
That road is horrible on a wet dark night, unless they have it dualled now? I know it was in the pipeline but didn't think it was even started yet...

Nope, wasn’t dualled but I done it on a dry sunny day and it was a breeze. There was no issue with getting stuck well south on the M6 somewhere either.

Lostinspace

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2
Nope, wasn’t dualled but I done it on a dry sunny day and it was a breeze. There was no issue with getting stuck well south on the M6 somewhere either.

Ah dry and sunny would be alot better, for some reason the only times I've been across it are dark wintry night's 😂

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Hitting Carlisle with 90mins before the boat is always the way. Especially when you take a gamble that the half a tank will do fine for the next 100 miles :joy:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Hitting Carlisle with 90mins before the boat is always the way. Especially when you take a gamble that the half a tank will do fine for the next 100 miles :joy:

I made it from the Moto Lancaster services to the ferry in just over 2 hours on 1 of my last trips over. It was amazing how quick £120 of petrol disappeared during that run... Every time I looked at the gauge it was a couple of needle widths lower ffs 😂

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
I used Bartlett Transport to collect a car in Reading for me last week, was lifted on Wednesday and was here on Friday - £350; just had to lift it from his yard in Ballymoney

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
I made it from the Moto Lancaster services to the ferry in just over 2 hours on 1 of my last trips over. It was amazing how quick £120 of petrol disappeared during that run... Every time I looked at the gauge it was a couple of needle widths lower ffs 😂
The piece I find most amazing is that you survived Moto’s Lancaster services! Once. Never again! .

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
The piece I find most amazing is that you survived Moto’s Lancaster services! Once. Never again! .

I always stop there on the way up England. Never had a problem with it, but then I’m usually chasing my tail to get to the ferry so don’t pay much attention to it to be honest, other than going up to pay for fuel and grab a quick handful of stuff to eat.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR

Newcastle is a very handy drive.

I usually take the B6318/A6071 along Hadrian's Wall instead of the normally very busy A69.

Join the B6318 just on the outskirts of Newcastle and along the whole wall, and then A6071 takes you the last bit straight to Gretna.

No huge difference in time, just more scenic and fun.